Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly does GM do during QC hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly does GM do during QC hold?

Sorry if this sounds naïve but what exactly does GM do with the cars when there is a quality control hold? It's not like they are out driving them around waiting for something to break down or go wrong...or at least I don't think so. Also, if these are the first 2015 cars off the line, it is not like they have other 2015 cars out there on the road as guinea pigs to see if something goes wrong.
So assuming the cars that are built that are on quality control hold are just sitting there in the lot, what exactly is the purpose and what is GM waiting for to happen during that time?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I've often wondered the same thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Mine was in hold for a day after the build. Customer Care told me they were doing a few checks. They might have found a few things that needed adjustment? I wondered too if they apply stripes, like the stinger that I ordered, at this stage. The photo of my car coming off the line does not show a stripe.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how long the quality hold is on the 2015s coming off the line now?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I think that are generally just held waiting to see if any defects pop up during assembly line production on cars succeeding it so they can fix the issues on the earlier cars before they end up in the hands of customers.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

For the most part the QC Hold cars just sit there. Additional mechanical and visual inspections (panel fit and finish, interior fit and finish, squeak and rattle testing) can be done but just on select cars or examples from a batch (Corvette production is now divided in to "Batches" to demarcate smaller groups of built cars that can be identified more easily if a problem is discovered. In smaller groups they have a defined beginning and end of a series of production. During the assembly process, cars are selected to be audit cars. These cars are driven (this is why some new Corvettes show up with 1 to 2 miles on the odometer and some show up with 20 to 30 miles on the odometer.) while others get the standard testing and inspections. This QC hold process is not unlike the two week hold that takes place for museum delivery vehicles. The intent is to quarantine the car while other cars are built and tested. The desire is to have the vehicles captured in the event of any latent or inspient failures being detected in the subsequent build process. Finding none, the cars are released.

However, during a new model start, historically there would have been 50 to 100 validation vehicles built. These were called the captured test fleet. These would have been issued to employees to live with and drive as if they were their own. This would have been done ahead of the start of production or coincedent with the start of production and they would have been evaluated during the traditional plant shutdown in July. Once those results were in, production would start and with any changes or corrections based on the feedback from the CTF team.

This process now happens a bit faster and a model launch like '14 to '15 is much easier to validate (fewer changes than say a C6 to a C7 or back in 2007 when the 2008's were coming out with the new motors, transmissions and a few new systems. Cars are built and held while others (CTF cars) are driven. Barring anything bizarre being discovered with the CTF cars the QC hold will come and go quickly, production will continue and the held cars will be released.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
For the most part the QC Hold cars just sit there. Additional mechanical and visual inspections (panel fit and finish, interior fit and finish, squeak and rattle testing) can be done but just on select cars or examples from a batch (Corvette production is now divided in to "Batches" to demarcate smaller groups of built cars that can be identified more easily if a problem is discovered. In smaller groups they have a defined beginning and end of a series of production. During the assembly process, cars are selected to be audit cars. These cars are driven (this is why some new Corvettes show up with 1 to 2 miles on the odometer and some show up with 20 to 30 miles on the odometer.) while others get the standard testing and inspections. This QC hold process is not unlike the two week hold that takes place for museum delivery vehicles. The intent is to quarantine the car while other cars are built and tested. The desire is to have the vehicles captured in the event of any latent or inspient failures being detected in the subsequent build process. Finding none, the cars are released.

However, during a new model start, historically there would have been 50 to 100 validation vehicles built. These were called the captured test fleet. These would have been issued to employees to live with and drive as if they were their own. This would have been done ahead of the start of production or coincedent with the start of production and they would have been evaluated during the traditional plant shutdown in July. Once those results were in, production would start and with any changes or corrections based on the feedback from the CTF team.

This process now happens a bit faster and a model launch like '14 to '15 is much easier to validate (fewer changes than say a C6 to a C7 or back in 2007 when the 2008's were coming out with the new motors, transmissions and a few new systems. Cars are built and held while others (CTF cars) are driven. Barring anything bizarre being discovered with the CTF cars the QC hold will come and go quickly, production will continue and the held cars will be released.
Thanks for this info --very informative
Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly what Talon said. I was there yesterday and all the 2015s (about 800 as of today)
are lined up outside with a cover. Cars that are actively being fixed are inside, but
the others are just waiting in case an issue arises with a supplier, process control, etc.
Much easier for GM to fix at the plant instead of issuing a hold while its in transit
to your dealer. you would not want to skip this step, its much better to have them fix
something instead of the dealer.

I also had a chance to speak with one of the paint shop managers, its a myth that the
panels are always from the same lot to match the color, he said the color from lot to lot
does not vary by a visually detectable amount.
also if a panel is damaged during assembly you wouldn't be able to replace
it with something from the original lot as many of the panels are painted weeks before
they are put on the cars. the line runs 1 shift per day but the paint shop is 2 shifts.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Geof180
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks Talon!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM
socaljet
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very helpful as I saw scores of cars sitting when I took delivery of my 05 and wondered what in reality was being done to the cars, if anything.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Asterism
Much easier for GM to fix at the plant instead of issuing a hold while its in transit to your dealer. you would not want to skip this step, its much better to have them fix
something instead of the dealer.
yep.

let them catch any new production defects there
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks goes out to Talon for posting the reasons for a QC hold.
It was very informative and answered some questions I had.

Maybe I'm just argumentative (My wife tells me I am).
Let's say someone orders a 2015 with a manual transmission and no navigation. Those are the two major changes for 2015 as far as I know.
GM has been building this car for over a year so why would these optioned cars be held for QC?
Yes, I have a dog in the fight. Mine was built 8-15. Unfortunately it has the two new changes mentioned.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:00 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by corvette dave
Thanks goes out to Talon for posting the reasons for a QC hold.
It was very informative and answered some questions I had.

Maybe I'm just argumentative (My wife tells me I am).
Let's say someone orders a 2015 with a manual transmission and no navigation. Those are the two major changes for 2015 as far as I know.
GM has been building this car for over a year so why would these optioned cars be held for QC?
Yes, I have a dog in the fight. Mine was built 8-15. Unfortunately it has the two new changes mentioned.
Because you have to assume that the rest of the car is absolutely identical and that would be a mistake because it isn't. The colors and the transmission are the announced changes. There are always mid-life changes, supplier changes, cost reductions, features that they wanted to incorporate (software and calibrations) that couldn't be finished before the start of the 2014 model run. There comes a point where the design has to be frozen. Anything incomplete at that point can either be cut in during the model run or held for introduction in the start of the next model run. These are all the changes that the buyer will never know about but there is a constant data analysis going on looking at warranty claims, customer issues, supplier issues and requests and some of these can find their way in to the car.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Because you have to assume that the rest of the car is absolutely identical and that would be a mistake because it isn't. The colors and the transmission are the announced changes. There are always mid-life changes, supplier changes, cost reductions, features that they wanted to incorporate (software and calibrations) that couldn't be finished before the start of the 2014 model run. There comes a point where the design has to be frozen. Anything incomplete at that point can either be cut in during the model run or held for introduction in the start of the next model run. These are all the changes that the buyer will never know about but there is a constant data analysis going on looking at warranty claims, customer issues, supplier issues and requests and some of these can find their way in to the car.

I am getting a clearer picture now of what is happening behind the scenes at GM.
Thanks again!

Last edited by corvette dave; 08-16-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine was built and now it is waiting for shipment. I guess its the QC thing holding it up. Dang, seems like I am waiting for ever.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 08-16-2014, 07:55 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesmith02
Thanks for the info. It helps explain alot. Only problem, it does not tell me when I can expect delivery. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Paul's thorough and informative explanation as usual!!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

What exactly does GM do during QC hold?
uhh... figure out how much of a price increase they can get away with?

Get notified of new replies

To What exactly does GM do during QC hold?

Quick Reply: What exactly does GM do during QC hold?