7 speed manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 7 speed manual transmission question

I am reading through the Chevy build website and the description of the 7 speed manual transmission confuses me. The website says:
"Eliminates the need for the driver to use a heel-and-towing technique when shifting during braking"
"Can be toggled on and off using steering wheel paddles"
Here is my question: Does this manual transmission have a clutch on the floor that you press with your foot?
I am confused because of the reference to steering wheel paddles. My Grand Sport has steering wheel paddles, but I don't consider that to be a manual transmission. I want an old fashioned clutch on my manual transmission!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

There is still a clutch. The paddles are left on to help standardize production and are therefore utilized for the rev-matching feature. Both paddles function as on/off switches for rev matching. This feature matches engine rpm to corresponding trans rpm to help smooths out shifts, something you used to have to use both the heel (on the accelerator) and toe (on the brake) of your right foot to do.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

there are paddles on either side of the steering wheel, they both do the same thing, turn on and off the "rev matching" function which as I'm sure you know just blips the throttle (not literally) when down shifting as well as keeps the revs up when up-shifting. The gear indicator on the instrument panel turns yellow when on, white when off.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
There is still a clutch. The paddles are left on to help standardize production and are therefore utilized for the rev-matching feature. Both paddles function as on/off switches for rev matching. This feature matches engine rpm to corresponding trans rpm to help smooths out shifts, something you used to have to use both the heel (on the accelerator) and toe (on the brake) of your right foot to do.
I knew that.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I am reading through the Chevy build website and the description of the 7 speed manual transmission confuses me. The website says:
"Eliminates the need for the driver to use a heel-and-towing technique when shifting during braking"
"Can be toggled on and off using steering wheel paddles"
Here is my question: Does this manual transmission have a clutch on the floor that you press with your foot?
I am confused because of the reference to steering wheel paddles. My Grand Sport has steering wheel paddles, but I don't consider that to be a manual transmission. I want an old fashioned clutch on my manual transmission!
Still a clutch you use your left foot to engage! No dual clutch box, thank goodness in my opinion! You'll love the rev match, (at least I do) if you don't when you start the car it is off. You pull either paddle to engage. The engaged gear number on the dash and HUD change color when rev match is activated.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rev Match is only used for downshifting simplicity. The next important issue on a M7 is replacing the stock shifter with an incredible MGW Short Throw Shifter.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
Rev Match is only used for downshifting simplicity. The next important issue on a M7 is replacing the stock shifter with an incredible MGW Short Throw Shifter.
Works real good up shifting 2nd to 3rd to 4th also. Smooths out the shift.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
The next important issue on a M7 is replacing the stock shifter with an incredible MGW Short Throw Shifter.
Y'know, that would be SO sweet. Anyone here done that? I wonder how much of a job (for a mechanic) that would be and how much the interior would get ripped up in the process. Also, how much of the warranty (drivetrain?) would be voided.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't see any issue with your warranty, about the only interior part needs to come out would be the top of the console.

Find the video about changing the interior parts on You Tube, you will see the top of the console come off not too much to it..

Get notified of new replies

To 7 speed manual transmission question

Quick Reply: 7 speed manual transmission question