Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Roof noise-problem solved...fingers crossed

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof noise-problem solved...fingers crossed

Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Knobbie
CF Senior Member

Old 06-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Irvin66

I started noticing the Popping in my C7 w/Carbon Fiber Top with about 6K miles. It took the dealer 3 visits to narrow it down the to roof latch. They replaced the Left one this week and the noise moved to the right side of the roof panel. The second is on order now and we will see if that fixes the problem. The service manager said they may have to replace the top.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:44 PM
HAD2HAV2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
this solved my problem as well. it required almost 0 effort to shut my latch as it was set from the factory. I turned the hook two turns and so far - no more noise.

also, for anyone having trouble turning the hook - unscrew the allen screw further than you think you need to.
Found the allen screw on the back side of the rear hook. The screw was already turned as tight as possible. So loosening this screw will help? I've tried lube and O-rings with no success. My 2015 painted roof is making noise. Started popping when the outside temperature went into the middle 80's. Now its in the 90's and is popping like crazy. The sound is coming from the driver side near the front latch.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:58 PM
HAD2HAV2
CF Senior Member

Ok, I figured it out. Loosen the allen screw and then used a small vise gripe to turn the hook 2 full turns clockwise and re-tighten the allen screw. Hope this works. Will know tomorrow. Thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Blue-C7 of Jax
CF Senior Member

HAD2HAV2 - Let us know your results, I have the same problem. Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 04:44 PM
TennisFreak
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2 View Post
Found the allen screw on the back side of the rear hook. The screw was already turned as tight as possible. So loosening this screw will help? I've tried lube and O-rings with no success. My 2015 painted roof is making noise. Started popping when the outside temperature went into the middle 80's. Now its in the 90's and is popping like crazy. The sound is coming from the driver side near the front latch.
Mine is doing the exact same thing.

I dont know if I can take it, the noise is driving me crazy.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM
HAD2HAV2
CF Senior Member

Turning the rear top hook 2 times clockwise did not stop the noise. The rear latched is much tighter now. I did swap striker bolts from passenger side to driver. So I sprayed silicone into the small square metal piece located at the end of the latch that rests against the windshield header. I forgot to take a picture. I also lubed the underneath side of the latch under the square metal piece and on the car windshield header where these 2 parts come in contact when the latch is secured. If this works I will take a picture. Now it takes more force pushing the driver side striker bolt into the windshield header.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Les Goldberg

Default Roof Noises

I had the same problem car has been back to dealer twice I lookes at the rear latch and found the set screw was missing so the dealer replaced the latch on ht second visit and also lubricated the 4 pins with silicone grease.
It was till making noise on colder days read on forum about O-rings on front pins I placed them on all 4 pins and no more noise. I have the roof out a fews times and washed the car no creaking, the dealer wanted me to bring it back again but it did not have the time i will tell the dealer the fix maybe he will tell GM product support
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 PM
motomanvette
CF Senior Member

My roof rattles when it's stowed in the hatch. Any thoughts about that?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
TennisFreak
CF Senior Member

My problem is (tentatively) SOLVED!!!!

Problem: Drivers side front roof panel creaking/popping near/at post/striker location.

Resolution:
Took roof panel off when giving my baby a bath this weekend and inspected both the panel and car striker/post area.
Discovered post on the panel had some partial pieces of industrial shipping/duct tape on it.
Noticed that the post/striker hole on the mount location in the car had a small switch/indicator sticking out. (my guess is that it indicates if roof panel is installed).
Also guessed that the switch/indicator on car was rubbing against post with tape causing a rough pop/creak noise.
Removed tape from the panel stricker/post and applied some grease.
Installed roof panel making sure the seals around the entire panel were properly seated and not mushed anywhere.

Result: 100% completely quite ride this morning, not a single creak/pop. I went over 3 sets of railroad tracks and some rough roads too.

Right now I am happy but tentative to say its fixed for good. I'll report back later on if it stays quiet.

I'd recommend putting some grease/lubricant on your drivers side roof panel post if you are getting creaks from that location. The grease will help keep the switch on the car from rubbing and popping against the roof panel post.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 PM
fredmills
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
My problem is (tentatively) SOLVED!!!!

Problem: Drivers side front roof panel creaking/popping near/at post/striker location.

Resolution:
Took roof panel off when giving my baby a bath this weekend and inspected both the panel and car striker/post area.
Discovered post on the panel had some partial pieces of industrial shipping/duct tape on it.
Noticed that the post/striker hole on the mount location in the car had a small switch/indicator sticking out. (my guess is that it indicates if roof panel is installed).
Also guessed that the switch/indicator on car was rubbing against post with tape causing a rough pop/creak noise.
Removed tape from the panel stricker/post and applied some grease.
Installed roof panel making sure the seals around the entire panel were properly seated and not mushed anywhere.

Result: 100% completely quite ride this morning, not a single creak/pop. I went over 3 sets of railroad tracks and some rough roads too.

Right now I am happy but tentative to say its fixed for good. I'll report back later on if it stays quiet.

I'd recommend putting some grease/lubricant on your drivers side roof panel post if you are getting creaks from that location. The grease will help keep the switch on the car from rubbing and popping against the roof panel post.
Please tell me what the "switch" is.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM
HAD2HAV2
CF Senior Member

I have tried the following to quiet down the roof noise:
Silicone lube on the strikers and parts of the front latch
Turned the rear latch hook 2 revolutions
O-rings
Disposable glove fingers over the strikers

Nothing works for me in this heat, 95 - 100F. Driving home last Friday the temperature was in the mid. 90ís with plenty of noises. I drove through a thunder storm and the air temp. cooled down to the upper 70ís. No noises at the cooler temps. As I continued home the temperature had warmed back up to 90 and the noises were coming back. Have to go back to the dealer I guess and let them play with it. I may ask for a new painted roof.
Glad others have had success stories.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
TennisFreak
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fredmills View Post
Please tell me what the "switch" is.
Wish I took a picture.

On the frame of the roof (car side) where the roof panel post goes into look down inside the hole.

On my car I saw a small round tab sticking out from the side slightly that would depress if you put pressure on it. I did not see this on the right side.

That is what I was referring to as the switch/indicator.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:46 PM
VelocityCy

Easy fix. Although this video is for a C6 worked for me on my C7.

I did nothing but tighten all the pins and tightened the rear latch. Problem solved.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:33 PM
TennisFreak
CF Senior Member

Mine started rattling like crazy last week. I think it loosened up because of the extreme heat here in Texas.

Today when detailing the car I took the roof off and tightened the rear latch.
It tightened a full 2 turns without any effort, that thing was way too loose!

Needless to say my car is now silent, no more creaking roof!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof noise-problem solved...fingers crossed

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: