Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Painting C7 Engine Bay Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Nice! Nothing like some underhood bling.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
So I decided to paint my engine covers yesterday. The plan:

- paint the fuse box cover Cabon Flash Metallic
- paint the lower covers Carbon Flash Metallic
- paint the plenum Carbon Flash Metallic
- paint the fuel rail covers Cyber Grey Metallic with Carbon Flash Corvette lettering.

I planned to paint them as is, not sanding them down to make them smooth. I didn't know how good it would look, so I figured i'd do the fuse box first, assess how it looks, then if its good I could do the lower covers, then the plenum. In short, I am quite happy with how they turned out but I didnt have as much Carbon Flash as i'd hoped. So I only got the fuse box cover and the lower covers done. I ordered more paint from automotivetouchup.com which should be here by next weekend and I can finish it up.

First step, clean clean clean. If it ain't clean it ain't gonna stick too well.

I chose to use an adhesion promoter since its plastic. It worked out quite well.

Two coats base, three coats clear.

And the result..

Since I am lazy.. Lol, I am just gonna leave the plenum cover and fuel rail covers off for the next week while I wait for more paint to come.

Opinions?
Lazy, that my friend is certainly not the case. Quite a bit of work to get it right.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Lazy, that my friend is certainly not the case. Quite a bit of work to get it right.
Do it right or do it twice! And, it's not work if its something you enjoy!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome!! Now I'm motivated to get my under-hood mods started.
Does anyone sell blanks (unpainted) plastic pieces for the Fuse Box covers, Brake Reservoir, Surge Tank cover and Regulator Sensor? Someone has to produce them, because several vendors sell them in CF, Carbon Flash, and matching body colors????
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I always wondered how long paint really holds up to engine heat on these covers?
Oh well, can't paint mine anyway since I got it autographed by the Stingray design team.
Tadge Joechter, Harlan Charles, Ryan Vaughan, Kirk Bennion, and Tom Peters.

Man o man buy yourself a spare cover and keep that one for posterity or for car shows
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You did a great job on the underhood pieces. Congrats.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
WILSON1776
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

- paint the fuel rail covers Cyber Grey Metallic with Carbon Flash Corvette lettering.

I planned to paint them as is, not sanding them down to make them smooth. I didn't know how good it would look, so I figured i'd do the fuse box first, assess how it looks, then if its good I could do the lower covers, then the plenum. In short, I am quite happy with how they turned out but I didnt have as much Carbon Flash as i'd hoped. So I only got the fuse box cover and the lower covers done. I ordered more paint from automotivetouchup.com which should be here by next weekend and I can finish it up.

I chose to use an adhesion promoter since its plastic. It worked out quite well.

And the result..

Since I am lazy.. Lol, I am just gonna leave the plenum cover and fuel rail covers off for the next week while I wait for more paint to come.

Opinions?

Nice work! It looks like you do not have the Z51 engine - correct? I have a Z51 and your pics appear somewhat different from my engine. For instance, you have the engine oil filler cap on the pax side cover; mine has the oil filler tank cap on the pax side, next to the firewall. My engine has what appears to be a sensor(?) located approximately where your oil filler cap is located.... I have not figured how to remove the sensor plug (if that is what it is) -- trying to insure that I don't break something on that plug... Anyone know how?? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:24 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rrod436
That looks fantastic! Had a similar desire to up the under-hood pop. Automotive Touchup paints in: Arctic White, Carbon Flash and Torch Red.

How did you mask off the letters? Or, did you paint them with a paint pen?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I painted the whole cover with the main color and then used a very small brush to paint the letter colors on.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:42 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I painted the whole cover with the main color and then used a very small brush to paint the letter colors on.
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Dumb Question

I have some new fuel rail covers to install, before I start yanking on things, I thought i might ask someone about removing and reinstalling these things. Is there any trick to getting them off, or do they just pop off and snap back into place?

Originally Posted by rrod436
That looks fantastic! Had a similar desire to up the under-hood pop. Automotive Touchup paints in: Arctic White, Carbon Flash and Torch Red.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I have some new fuel rail covers to install, before I start yanking on things, I thought i might ask someone about removing and reinstalling these things. Is there any trick to getting them off, or do they just pop off and snap back into place?
The white covers in your picture just snap off basically. Pull upwards on the edges closest to the center of the engine first. The bottom half are seated with L shaped notches.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:53 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Thanks

I have purcased some smoothies and I wanted to make sure I did not screw something up taking off the stock ones and installing the new ones.

The white covers in your picture just snap off basically. Pull upwards on the edges closest to the center of the engine first. The bottom half are seated with L shaped notches.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:31 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Looks very nice IMO. Great paint job, relatively simple to do. Gives the engine bay an understated but much improved look.

-T
While I understand guys wanting to improve the underhood appearance, I find most of them too much "in your face.” This I think is well executed and handsome. Don
Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Man o man buy yourself a spare cover and keep that one for posterity or for car shows

That is what I ended up doing...

May display it next to one from my C5 Z06

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-11-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 PM
wosisk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the result..

Opinions?
TEXHAWK0 suggested I contact you. I have the C7 base with the oil dipstick driver side of the engine. To get the coil cover off I had to force it between the fuel line and dipstick tube. Almost certain I will scratch the paint when I put it back on. Did you remove the oil dipstick tube or the fuel line to put it back on?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by wosisk
TEXHAWK0 suggested I contact you. I have the C7 base with the oil dipstick driver side of the engine. To get the coil cover off I had to force it between the fuel line and dipstick tube. Almost certain I will scratch the paint when I put it back on. Did you remove the oil dipstick tube or the fuel line to put it back on?
Remove the bolt for the dipstick tube, but dont remove the tube itself. Then, just hold the tube out of the way while installing..

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO: Painting C7 Engine Bay Parts

Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Great write up OP, thanks. Question you may or may not have an answer to, but ever run across any ideas on solutions for the factory manifolds? Not going to do headers on mine, but the rusty look of the manifolds ticks me off. Thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Great write up OP, thanks. Question you may or may not have an answer to, but ever run across any ideas on solutions for the factory manifolds? Not going to do headers on mine, but the rusty look of the manifolds ticks me off. Thanks
At the parts store there is header paint that you can get. Typically 1500 degrees..
The following users liked this post:
LT4CMG (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:56 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

How do you keep the letters from having brush marks?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Painting C7 Engine Bay Parts