Sponsored by:

Southern California Dealers - Best discounts on new C7's

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
EVERY 2014 and 2015 Corvette is CA Compliant no matter where you bought it. There have been numerous Threads here discussing it.
I bought mine in Mississippi and I live in S. CA.
No problem, but I had to have it Smogged when it got here because we have Idiots running this State.
Went to the DMV with my Smog Certificate and my Checkbook. They inspected it, I handed them the Paperwork including the Certificate of Origin and I paid the outrageous Licensing Fee and Taxes.
The guy at the Smog Check Shop thought I was nuts when I brought it in to have it tested. It was the first one he ever Smogged.
I guess you are saying the CA DMV web site is incorrect then? Could be you got lucky in that your out of state dealer ordered a CA compliant car for you and you didn't even know it.

From the CA DMV web site concerning new car purchases from out of state dealers:

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29

(PDF) Version

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.

Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1d...t_facts/ffvr29

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-31-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Saving41
I wanted to order from Mr. Boone, but due to the cars selling so well in California the best he was offering was MSRP at the time. He wasn't able to honor the credit union pricing. Good to talk to him though.
I ordered a Z06 thru Tim Boone (Boardwalk), and he clarified for me that he does accept Credit Union pricing on the Stingray (not Z06). I don't know how long he's been accepting it, however. He sells the Z at MSRP!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:06 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
EVERY 2014 and 2015 Corvette is CA Compliant no matter where you bought it. There have been numerous Threads here discussing it.
I bought mine in Mississippi and I live in S. CA.
No problem, but I had to have it Smogged when it got here because we have Idiots running this State.
Went to the DMV with my Smog Certificate and my Checkbook. They inspected it, I handed them the Paperwork including the Certificate of Origin and I paid the outrageous Licensing Fee and Taxes.
The guy at the Smog Check Shop thought I was nuts when I brought it in to have it tested. It was the first one he ever Smogged.
Oh, and I'm sure you read this thread where Ken Fichtner states GM won't even allow them to order cars shipped to CA without the YF5 CA emmisions option?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-ca-smog.html
Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Oh, and I'm sure you read this thread where Ken Fichtner states GM won't even allow them to order cars shipped to CA without the YF5 CA emmisions option?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-ca-smog.html
Must be why the Dealers make sure they have the 50 State Emissions CA Compliant YF5 Stickers. Mine did, and I got it in Mississippi a year ago.

Unfortunately, as CA goes so goes the Nation.

BTW - I'm getting the vibe from your Posts that we are engaged in some sort of a pissing contest. We are not. I shared my experience buying my C7 and the Topic has been discussed here for over a Year on numerous other Threads.

If you think this issue is holding you back from buying a C7, there is nothing more to be said about it. I bought mine out of State without a problem as many others here have done, period. Have a good day.

P.S. Love your C1 in your Avatar.

I began to wonder, why would Fichtner not order CA Compliant Corvettes since he sells so many to CA Residents? Doesn't make sense, yet every Corvette I've seen has the same CA Compliant Sticker under the Hood. In all the other Threads discussing this issue, I have yet to see anyone Post a Picture of a Smog Tag that omits CA. Quite the mystery.

If they do exist, I stand corrected. Happy New Year!

Last edited by Second Vette; 12-31-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Just wondering...
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Ordered and bought mine here close to me at supplier, it was nice that I did not do a out of state order. Then the dealer had the car brought to my home on a flat bed from the dealership.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:41 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Calif Vetteman
Took delivery From Rydell, on the Sat. after Thanksgiving. They discounted $2500 of MSRP for me plus the $3000.00 off, from the my GM card.
Some So Cal dealers are pretty good. Vicki Marasco Fleet manger is the best. Great deal on extended warranty also.
Picked my Z51 from Rydell a week after you. I bought the TR 3lt off the showroom floor. They did give me 2000.00 off MSRP. My only problem has been I had them add Low Jack to my car and they have yet to even contact me on the install. I have called the salesman twice and still no response. I am going to try and get a refund after the first.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Go back and have the lojack removed form your contract now seeing you have not had this installed yet. The credit mgr just wants to make more gross at your expense. The car comes with onstar for no extra for 6mo. I never buy anything extra when buying the car.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thank for the advice. I am going to do that for sure!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:21 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Sounds like the SoCal Chevy dealers are selling new Corvettes to a very select group of humans: Morons and Millionaires.

If you don't fit either of those categories look elsewhere.
EXCUSE me, I am neither, I am just an ordinary working stiff. and I got a very good deal from Rydell in Northridge Ca, 6k under msrp & trade.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:26 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
EXCUSE me, I am neither, I am just an ordinary working stiff. and I got a very good deal from Rydell in Northridge Ca, 6k under msrp & trade.
Good for you. I don't agree with the comment that you have responded to but may I ask how did you get the discount? I talked to Vicki (nice lady by the way) at Rydell in October and she said the best they can do is MSRP and nothing less (i didn't have a car to trade) which was good since most other dealers I talked to were asking for 5k markup. MacMulkin quoted me supplier price since I am credit union member and that's why I placed the order with them.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Good for you. I don't agree with the comment that you have responded to but may I ask how did you get the discount? I talked to Vicki (nice lady by the way) at Rydell in October and she said the best they can do is MSRP and nothing less (i didn't have a car to trade) which was good since most other dealers I talked to were asking for 5k markup. MacMulkin quoted me supplier price since I am credit union member and that's why I placed the order with them.
By all means, I got the educator discount which was 6k off msrp. but they have other discounts for the same amount. Plus Rydell gave me 2k more for my trade in than other dealers in the area. Community didn't want to give me the discount and tried to STIFF me on my trade in.

Quick Reply: Southern California Dealers - Best discounts on new C7's