Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
nailyo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you be kind and give us some engine bay pics?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
SNIP444, If you will look at the TOP OF THE FORUM PAGE>>> YOU WILL SEE CHEVROLET CUSTOMER SERVICE.. Post some pictures of your engine..IF everything is on the up&up GM will replace your engine under warranty. Good Luck..
thanks for the encouragement. But, the underside was on fire and the front ride and undercarriage fried. I'm assuming I'm out over $20,000 or more in value of the car just b/c it was on fire, even if they were to give me a new engine. There is no question that a rod blew through the block and started the oil (or something ) on fire.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Sometimes folks get wrapped around the axle over something much smaller and say they're owed a new car when a repair under warranty is what is needed. I'd like to see more photos including under the hood, full 3/4 from the front, if possible a photo from the bottom while up on the rack, etc. If it's as you say and you had not done any mods maybe a new car should be in order.

Keep us informed please. BTW, can you post the last shots you had of it prior to the incident?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:26 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Snip444
thanks for the encouragement. But, the underside was on fire and the front ride and undercarriage fried. I'm assuming I'm out over $20,000 or more in value of the car just b/c it was on fire, even if they were to give me a new engine. There is no question that a rod blew through the block and started the oil (or something ) on fire.
More pictures please. If your going to post something like this here you should expect to get lots of requests for pictures, engine bay, outside and under the car.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
i would PM chevy customer service here on the forums.
PM?? what does that mean? how do I do it? (I'm an old guy and don't know my way around websites all that well) thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nailyo
Would you be kind and give us some engine bay pics?
From above things look o.k. I'll take some more pics tomorrow or Tues from the top. Fire and smoke was below.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

From above things look o.k. I'll take some more pics tomorrow or Tues from the top. Fire and smoke was below.
Manual transmission?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sometimes folks get wrapped around the axle over something much smaller and say they're owed a new car when a repair under warranty is what is needed. I'd like to see more photos including under the hood, full 3/4 from the front, if possible a photo from the bottom while up on the rack, etc. If it's as you say and you had not done any mods maybe a new car should be in order.

Keep us informed please. BTW, can you post the last shots you had of it prior to the incident?
The car was immaculate prior to the incident. I'll see if I can get some on the rack. The dealership has not been very cooperative other to say their hands are tied until GM tells them what to do. If, the car were returned to perfect (as it was before) I wouldn't care about a new car. Just don't know with melting brakes and rubber and fire underneath how that can happen. Thanks for helping
Old 09-07-2014, 05:36 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

My engine blew up over 3 weeks ago (5 mos. old 5,000 mi.) . GM has been mostly unresponsive. The dealership Manager and Service Manager have told me their hands are tied and they can't help me til GM tells them what to do. Two days ago someone from the "Allegation Dept" told me I should get an "estimate" from the dealer and that maybe in a week they would tell me "what they thought happened". Meanwhile, my 2014, 5 mos old Stingray engine blew up the car had fire in the front and smoke out of all sides of the car and GM has been totally unhelpful. Apparently a rod blew through the block? The worst part of buying this American made car is that the department at GM that the dealer told me I had to call to open a "complaint" was answered by someone in India. Does anyone know how I can get GM to respond in a reasonable time frame?
Did you contact this number?, I had a problem where GM was the hold up on supplying parts to our dealer and the people at this number had it to second level before I got off the phone - the people I talked to were here in the U.S.

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...0%2Bcomplaints
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Manual transmission?
Automatic. Was driving in Track setting and Automatic It blew up at 98 mph
Old 09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Man... poor guy comes on here for help and you massive A-holes accuse him of lying, being a troll, why?

Are you so ready to defend gm at all costs that you refuse to accept that they have the worst warranty and customer service in the auto industry?

You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Let's see...in six years my 350Z has been out-of-service for less than a day...total...for oil/filter changes, a wheel alignment, and other regular maintenance. OP's C7 has been sitting for three weeks while GM and his dealer warm their thumbs, and there's almost no chance he will have it back within the next two weeks.

Maybe the OP should look around for a Z to drive back and forth to the Chevy dealer for a while.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Snip444
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DCBE
Did you contact this number?, I had a problem where GM was the hold up on supplying parts to our dealer and the people at this number had it to second level before I got off the phone - the people I talked to were here in the U.S.

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...0%2Bcomplaints
I'll try them, thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Snip, did you do any aftermarket mods to your car at all? This will tell us a lot..
Old 09-07-2014, 05:49 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Depending on the lemon laws of the state you live in, and the info you have given, if your dealer doesn't fix it soon, you could go that route.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Bawahaha, I'm liking my decision to keep driving my 350z more and more. The C7s are fun to test drive, but owning one would suck.

At least Car & Driver got 6K miles before their C7's engine grenaded.
Let's see...in six years my 350Z has been out-of-service for less than a day...total...for oil/filter changes, a wheel alignment, and other regular maintenance. OP's C7 has been sitting for three weeks while GM and his dealer warm their thumbs, and there's almost no chance he will have it back within the next two weeks.

Maybe the OP should look around for a Z to drive back and forth to the Chevy dealer for a while.
If you're such a Nissan guy, WTF are you hanging out here? Just to bust *****?

Oh I know..there's a word for your type......
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray

talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

What dealership are you trying to work with?
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

My engine blew up over 3 weeks ago (5 mos. old 5,000 mi.) . GM has been mostly unresponsive. The dealership Manager and Service Manager have told me their hands are tied and they can't help me til GM tells them what to do. Two days ago someone from the "Allegation Dept" told me I should get an "estimate" from the dealer and that maybe in a week they would tell me "what they thought happened". Meanwhile, my 2014, 5 mos old Stingray engine blew up the car had fire in the front and smoke out of all sides of the car and GM has been totally unhelpful. Apparently a rod blew through the block? The worst part of buying this American made car is that the department at GM that the dealer told me I had to call to open a "complaint" was answered by someone in India. Does anyone know how I can get GM to respond in a reasonable time frame?
Snip444,

Deepest apologies are extended to you after reading about what happened to your engine. I also apologize for the unresponsive way you feel the situation has been handled. Please private message us at your earliest convenience. We would like to do all we can to provide the assistance you're seeking.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

O.P. i would also contact an attorney just in case

Quick Reply: Blown up engine 5 month old Stingray