C7 gets price increase & Viper gets price slashed/cut

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Default C7 gets price increase & Viper gets price slashed/cut

Dodge Viper price drops $15k for 2015

New for 2015, Dodge is reducing the Viper's starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) by $15,000 to start at $84,995

Adjusting for inflation, the 2015 model year Viper is priced competitively to the first generation Viper, which launched in 1992, as calculated by Kelley Blue Book

The Dodge Viper was first introduced in 1992 with a starting U.S. MSRP of $50,700. Adjusted for inflation, the equivalent in today's dollars would be $86,130

Current Gen 5 Viper owners to receive a certificate worth $15,000 to be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction

All existing 2014 model year dealer inventory will be reduced by $15,000, effective immediately
2015 Dodge Vipers will be sold throughout the entire Dodge dealer network

New for 2015, the Viper's refined 8.4-liter V-10 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission delivers 645 horsepower and up to 20 miles per gallon on the highway

Production of the 2015 model year Dodge Viper will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit in the fourth quarter with vehicles arriving in dealer showrooms in the first quarter of 2015

Dodge is reconfirming its commitment to the future of the Viper and repositioning the iconic Detroit-built supercar for 2015, giving the snake more horsepower, improved fuel economy and a new starting price $15,000 less than the 2014 model it replaces.

For 2015, the hand-built American exotic now delivers an increased 645 horsepower, gets up to 20 miles per gallon and is offered at a new starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $84,995 (all prices exclude tax, title, license, destination and gas guzzler tax).

Reaching back into its 100-year history, Dodge is using the formula that successfully launched the original 1992 Dodge Viper, but with even more power, refinement and craftsmanship. Adjusting for inflation, the 2015 model year Viper is priced competitively to the first generation Viper, as calculated by Kelley Blue Book. When Viper was first introduced, the U.S. MSRP was $50,700. Adjusted for inflation -- that equates to $86,130 in today's dollars.

"The Gen 1 Viper had 400 horsepower. It didn't have air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, traction control or stability control. It didn't even have real windows. It was the purest, rawest and most visceral American performance car of its time," said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO - Dodge and SRT Brands. "The Gen 5 Viper maintains the purity of the original car, with its seductive design, perfect weight balance and all-aluminum V10 with an additional 245 horsepower. But the rawness has been tamed with state-of-the-art five-mode ESC, two-mode suspension, ABS, traction control, launch control and a lightweight structure comprised of carbon fiber, magnesium and aluminum. Despite the Gen 5's massive leap forward in technology and performance, we're pulling its starting price back to the equivalent of the original Gen 1 car."

Dodge is repositioning every Viper model with a lower starting price.

In addition to the new starting price, all existing Gen 5 Viper owners will get a certificate worth $15,000 that can be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction.

Effective immediately, all existing 2014 model year Vipers in dealer inventory will also be re-invoiced and receive a new Monroney label that highlights the $15,000 price reduction.

Dodge is also expanding Viper sales beyond the current SRT network of dealers. More than 2,300 Dodge dealers will be able to sell the 2015 Dodge Viper.

"We have a saying at Dodge: 'If you know... you know,' and if you know Viper, you know this is big news," Kuniskis added, "and if you don't know Viper, it's time to check it out and see what makes owning and driving the iconic Viper so much more unique, exclusive and interesting than any other American performance vehicle."

New 2015 Dodge Viper models and features

For 2015 model year, Dodge is also introducing a number of product enhancements, new packages and new colors, including:

SRT – new accent stitching on the seats and instrument panel, Alcantara accents on the doors and instrument panel and 'Viper' badged aluminum sill plates

GT – new model with Nappa leather seats with Alcantara inserts, Alcantara accents on the doors and IP, 'Viper' badged aluminum sill plates, two-mode suspension, five-mode ESC, 'GTS' hood and two-piece StopTech slotted rotors

GTS - Ceramic Blue Special Edition with an exclusive Ceramic Blue exterior color and Black stripes

TA 2.0 - Special Edition with high-performance Aero Package

High-impact Y'Orange, Stryker Orange and Stryker Purple exterior colors – arriving to dealers in early 2015

Production of 2015 model year Vipers will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit in the second half of the fourth quarter of 2014. Vipers will start arriving in dealerships in the first quarter of 2015.
The C7 is selling so good it gets a price increase... And the Viper is now getting prices slashed / cut.

It may sound a little crazy, but could the C7 have had a good bit to do with the Viper's poor sales as of late... The new Viper got some press when it was brought back (the resurrection)... But after that when the C7 was introduced, you really didn't hear much about the Viper. All the press / buzz around the C7 seem to drown any Viper press. Is the C7 helping kill the Viper? Not sure if the guys over at Dodge are pulling their hair out. But it probably didn't get any better when Chevy introduced the Z06.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 AM
lggque
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post

Yea bad timing for them. They launched the 2014 around the same time the C7 came out. Why pay the extra money when you can have a C7.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM
creeves84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the C7 is an amazing car but I don't think that the launch of the base C7 had that much to do with the cost reduction or lack of sales. Maybe the new Z06 could be the real reason. I think many of us were surprised at the "low" starting MSRP of the that model for the performance that comes standard with that model, maybe Dodge was also and responded with a reduction.

It is my thought that not many of us cross shopped to the Viper. Its a different breed compared to the C7. I think the Viper has a cult like following much like our cars but I rarely have seen a jump between brands, not scientific at all just my observation.

I can't say why Dodge lowered the price, most of us would be guessing . I can say the Viper and the Z06 will now be set up to compared in every major magazine.

Good marketing moves on Dodge's part but I can't see the Viper as a daily driver unlike our cars which can eat up the miles and you don't feel like you just got rung through the ringer.

I wish Chevy would offer a 15K reduction for prior model owners! That is a huge saving, 30K off (15K reduction prior owner discount and the cost reduction) a 2015 Viper that makes that car about 70K if you had a prior model.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 AM
red63vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is actually great news for Corvette. As Tadge Juechter has said before, Competition is the best motivation we have.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

They cut the price because they finally admitted the reality that even a supercar can be overpriced, and that's why it wasn't moving. Simple as that. The only surprise is that they admitted reality instead of keeping on letting their dealers take all the hit.

This is also at least the fifth thread in less than 24 hours on the same topic, and the others have all been moved off the C7 board, so get your posts in quickly.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:09 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

600 unsold Vipers
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409088...5000-usd-price
Old 09-09-2014, 08:29 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by red63vette
As Tadge Juechter has said before, Competition is the best motivation we have.
And as I'm fond of pointing out to folks: he also has said that Porsche, Audi, and the rest of the overseas sports car makers are the competitors that he looks at. Not Viper. He and his team don't really care what happens with the Viper.

Folks will choose to believe me or not; those that don't will tell me I'm a Corvette fanboi and ignorant of the Viper, etc, etc, etc. Cue that right: now.

In any event, Fiat and Chrysler screwed up with the new Viper in a bunch of ways. The major thing: price. Carving a notch into the +$130K price point is insanely difficult to do if you've never sold a car in that market before. Dodge basically just announced their existence into that market. "Hi folks. We're here now. Pay attention to us. Ignore the fact that we've never sold a car this expensive before."

It doesn't work that way. You have to earn your way into that crowd; you can't do it by bullying your way in.

From an engineering and architectural standpoint: what did the new Viper bring to the table that out-shown the old Viper? What did the new Viper bring to the table that other car manufacturers looked at and went, "Holy crap! We have to have that in our car!"? Answers to both questions: nothing. So at that introductory price and with that (lack of) engineering, what's to encourage Viper owners to trade up? They already have their Viper. Further, how are they going to take that aforementioned (lack of) engineering and conquest other car buyers? Who from the 911 Turbo/GT3/GT2 camp, or who from the Ferrari F458 camp would actually cross-shop a Viper? Why would they?

Finally: leadership. Ralph is a knowledgeable engineer, skillful driver, and insanely passionate car guy. No question. But he's trying to play in the big leagues, and in that league you have to know and exercise restraint when speaking. And tweeting. And being interviewed. And... He's made a public fool of himself on a couple of occasions surrounding the various magazine reviews of his new car. And he's been called on it. It's one of the reasons he's not leading the Viper team any longer.

I despise writing this, but here we go: I predicted the events that surrounded the Viper, but I didn't think they'd happen as quickly as they did. First prediction: Ralph would get sacked as the leader of SRT. Done. Second prediction: SRT would evaporate back into Dodge. Complete. I expected both of those to take another year to happen, so that took me a bit by surprise.

My third prediction stands: the Viper is doomed. I really think Sergio is just positioning the car to go away. I suspect it's why the 2015 cars aren't being changed in any significant way, but they are being reduced in price.

Now, all of that said: I seriously doubt the C7's most excellent success has had much to do with the Viper's follies. It may be contributing slightly, but not in any meaningful way. Unfortunately, I think the Viper was positioned to fail before it was even released. We're watching that unfold now.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Wonder how many greedy dealers will just respond by tacking on a big “additional dealer profit” to the sticker? Don
Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

During a recent Corvette show held at a Corvette dealership, I walked over to their sister Dodge dealer, which had 5 Vipers on their showroom floor, never saw more than 2 in previous years.

For the price that these 5 cars were listed at current Viper owners are not going to trade up, there is just not adequate improvements from the older model years to justify the cost difference.

The Vipers have a limited following due to their limited engineering when compared to other vehicles in their class.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Still are CLOWNSHOES
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

All the $150,000 Vipers sitting in showrooms initially couldn't have helped. Plus, there were very limited amounts of dealers that actually could sell them. They tried to elevate this car to a status that it just doesn't have the following to support imo. I've always liked Vipers and hope Dodge doesn't axe them, but man they screwed up with this new gen launch.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

That's one hell of a bargain....
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

85K$ for a base viper
78K$ for a base Z06

Z06 all day, every day. It will out class the viper in EVERY way. Track, Drag strip, daily driving, looks (subjective), warranty, Price, modding potential/ after market, No gas guzzelr tax, fuel economy... The viper can't be saved, unless it came in at the same price as a Z06, and even then it's a hard sell. Dodge needs more than just a price cut
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

With the viper cut and now the $10k in rebates that Lotus is offering to sell more Evoras I am guessing that the sports car market is getting saturated, or we are now living in a Porsche and corvette world and everyone else has to learn how to play in it.

Here's my viper story though. I went to a local dealer this summer. This is the only viper dealer in my area. It's a run down, dirty looking dealership but they did have a Viper GTS that they had marked down to 117k. The only thing is this and I knew this but they didn't know I knew this. They had recently posted the car on Craigslist for $99k which put it in my ballpark and I would be willing to give up the grand sport for it. So when I asked the salesman about price, he does the old "sales manager" hiding behind the wall conversation and comes back and says lowest he will go is 115k. That's when I pulled out my magic card and said hey you have this car for sale on Craigslist for $99k. I guess you assume I am stupid or something. So then he goes back to talk to the sales manager. He said he would rather sell the car at mecun auto auction than sell forint for $99k. I said good you do that, because I will get pre approved financing and buy the car at auction for $75k and laugh when I drive by your dealership.

Chrysler dealers know how to sell jeeps, ram trucks and challengers, but not how to deal with big ticket buyers. I let them have it on their Facebook page and then I get a PM asking when they could contact me, i gave them hours, numbers and email.They never did. So no viper, probably never now. I was soured by that experience.

Even lotus dealer are jerks, and is coming from a former lotus owner. They act like they have gold bricks on the showrooms, and then they don't sell. The closest lotus dealer in CT is now gone, so that tells me something. In fact another lotus dealer opened in CT was only there for 6 months or so. I guess they don't sell them like they used to
Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by creeves84
I agree the C7 is an amazing car but I don't think that the launch of the base C7 had that much to do with the cost reduction or lack of sales. Maybe the new Z06 could be the real reason. I think many of us were surprised at the "low" starting MSRP of the that model for the performance that comes standard with that model, maybe Dodge was also and responded with a reduction.

It is my thought that not many of us cross shopped to the Viper. Its a different breed compared to the C7. I think the Viper has a cult like following much like our cars but I rarely have seen a jump between brands, not scientific at all just my observation.

I can't say why Dodge lowered the price, most of us would be guessing . I can say the Viper and the Z06 will now be set up to compared in every major magazine.

Good marketing moves on Dodge's part but I can't see the Viper as a daily driver unlike our cars which can eat up the miles and you don't feel like you just got rung through the ringer.

I wish Chevy would offer a 15K reduction for prior model owners! That is a huge saving, 30K off (15K reduction prior owner discount and the cost reduction) a 2015 Viper that makes that car about 70K if you had a prior model.
Well put and I agree. I think the new Z06 had a lot to do with the Viper's price being cut.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by jvp
And as I'm fond of pointing out to folks: he also has said that Porsche, Audi, and the rest of the overseas sports car makers are the competitors that he looks at. Not Viper. He and his team don't really care what happens with the Viper.

Folks will choose to believe me or not; those that don't will tell me I'm a Corvette fanboi and ignorant of the Viper, etc, etc, etc. Cue that right: now.

In any event, Fiat and Chrysler screwed up with the new Viper in a bunch of ways. The major thing: price. Carving a notch into the +$130K price point is insanely difficult to do if you've never sold a car in that market before. Dodge basically just announced their existence into that market. "Hi folks. We're here now. Pay attention to us. Ignore the fact that we've never sold a car this expensive before."

It doesn't work that way. You have to earn your way into that crowd; you can't do it by bullying your way in.

From an engineering and architectural standpoint: what did the new Viper bring to the table that out-shown the old Viper? What did the new Viper bring to the table that other car manufacturers looked at and went, "Holy crap! We have to have that in our car!"? Answers to both questions: nothing. So at that introductory price and with that (lack of) engineering, what's to encourage Viper owners to trade up? They already have their Viper. Further, how are they going to take that aforementioned (lack of) engineering and conquest other car buyers? Who from the 911 Turbo/GT3/GT2 camp, or who from the Ferrari F458 camp would actually cross-shop a Viper? Why would they?

Finally: leadership. Ralph is a knowledgeable engineer, skillful driver, and insanely passionate car guy. No question. But he's trying to play in the big leagues, and in that league you have to know and exercise restraint when speaking. And tweeting. And being interviewed. And... He's made a public fool of himself on a couple of occasions surrounding the various magazine reviews of his new car. And he's been called on it. It's one of the reasons he's not leading the Viper team any longer.

I despise writing this, but here we go: I predicted the events that surrounded the Viper, but I didn't think they'd happen as quickly as they did. First prediction: Ralph would get sacked as the leader of SRT. Done. Second prediction: SRT would evaporate back into Dodge. Complete. I expected both of those to take another year to happen, so that took me a bit by surprise.

My third prediction stands: the Viper is doomed. I really think Sergio is just positioning the car to go away. I suspect it's why the 2015 cars aren't being changed in any significant way, but they are being reduced in price.

Now, all of that said: I seriously doubt the C7's most excellent success has had much to do with the Viper's follies. It may be contributing slightly, but not in any meaningful way. Unfortunately, I think the Viper was positioned to fail before it was even released. We're watching that unfold now.

Dodge can't dance the Waltz in muddy work boots. Jacking up the price of the Viper doesn't make it exotic.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
85K$ for a base viper
78K$ for a base Z06

Z06 all day, every day. It will out class the viper in EVERY way. Track, Drag strip, daily driving, looks (subjective), warranty, Price, modding potential/ after market, No gas guzzelr tax, fuel economy... The viper can't be saved, unless it came in at the same price as a Z06, and even then it's a hard sell. Dodge needs more than just a price cut
Except for paint.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 gets price increase & Viper gets price slashed/cut

Old 09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the new Z06 had a lot to do with the Viper's price being cut.
Not sure about that. Many compare those two and just as many do not. Corvette is mass produced and once the Z06 clones appear with appearance mods, it will just blend in with the other 30,000 C7s. Vipers have a very limited production run with none produced in 07,11,12 for example.

The price cut was necessary. It was way overpriced. I paid $86k for a base with track pack and that was about 8 months ago. Those that still want an exclusive exotic without paying $150+k will chose the viper. Strong rumors now that a supercharged version will be next with around 800hp. Who knows?

Doomed...wishful thinking for some. I would rather there had not been a 2015, just a blown model in 2016, but seems there will be. For most viper owners like me that do not race the thing, anything over 450 hp is overkill on public roads. Exclusivity is more important than which car is faster in a magazine review or youtube video
Old 09-09-2014, 02:04 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't beat the exclusiveness of the Viper... There were more C7's produced in 2014 than total Viper's produced since their debut in 1992.

At $85K, the Viper is quite a bargain. Paint is far superior to that of the C7, it's 300 lbs lighter than the C7 Z06 and it's far more exotic.

Last edited by ck9887; 09-09-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
Can't beat the exclusiveness of the Viper... There were more C7's produced in 2014 than Viper's produced since their debut in 1992.

At $85K, the Viper is quite a bargain. Paint is far superior to that of the C7, it's 300 lbs lighter than the C7 Z06 and it's far more exotic.

Viper fire sale! Not quite the bargain at 100,000K+. "Exclusivity" aside, I'll bet the Z cleans its clock, straight line and twistys. We shall see. Hopefully, the Z's paint is improved. Saw a Viper at the NY Auto Show. Flawless paint.

Last edited by 69L79; 09-09-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 gets price increase & Viper gets price slashed/cut