Sponsored by:

Defective GM Accessory-Forum Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:47 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Defective GM Accessory-Forum Dealers? - RESOLVED

I have a defective GM bra purchased from a GM dealer. I also have the receipt. The dealer will not accept the return for the accessory even though it is only a few months old. He recommended that I take it to a local dealer. The local dealers refused to take it and said I should send it back to the dealer I purchased it from.

Will any of the forum dealers be willing to accept the exchange for this bra if I pay shipping both ways? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by op z; 09-18-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

If the dealer you bought it from won't accept it, I don't think anyone else will either.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glen e
If the dealer you bought it from won't accept it, I don't think anyone else will either.
Any dealer should be able to accept it with proper documentation. Are you suggesting that a part bought in IL would have to be returned to a dealer in IL if you move to FL?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by op z
Any dealer should be able to accept it with proper documentation. Are you suggesting that a part bought in IL would have to be returned to a dealer in IL if you move to FL?
Yes, you are correct, but if you bought something at Sears do you think Walmart would take it back ?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stan0324
Yes, you are correct, but if you bought something at Sears do you think Walmart would take it back ?

Receipt says purchased from a Chevy dealer.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

In that case, then any Chevy dealer should be able to take it back with a receipt.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:32 PM
op z
Drifting

In that case, then any Chevy dealer should be able to take it back with a receipt.
The local dealers won't.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd say write GM, or get the Service or Parts manager to have someone else at a district or region level involved. And this is a genuine GM accessory, not something sold by a dealer but some other retailer's parts?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'd say write GM, or get the Service or Parts manager to have someone else at a district or region level involved. And this is a genuine GM accessory, not something sold by a dealer but some other retailer's parts?
Correct. If forum dealers won't accept the return, please provide a phone number I can call. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'll assume both Parts and Srvce. mgrs. would not elevate to district or region level. And that there are no other dealers in your area who will do so, too. That said, no phone, but try these folks: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cust-svc.html
Old 09-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

There is not enough information to know why a dealer won't take this item back. The OP posts that it "a few months old" and that it is "defective".

Just how old is it exactly? What was the date of purchase? What exactly is the "defect"?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:25 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
There is not enough information to know why a dealer won't take this item back. The OP posts that it "a few months old" and that it is "defective".

Just how old is it exactly? What was the date of purchase? What exactly is the "defect"?
Purchased front end cover 6/23, 500 mile trip from KC to Chicago. No impact to the car. No damage underneath.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by op z
Purchased front end cover 6/23, 500 mile trip from KC to Chicago. No impact to the car. No damage underneath.
While I have no idea what happened or how that happened, I'm feeling like you are going to have a difficult time getting anyone to take that back as a defective return.

It has the appearance of having been scraped. I'm not saying that is what happened but just how it looks in the picture you provided. It is pretty tattered and the two different levels of tear (outer and inner) look as if they were sheared.

Just out of curiosity, what did happen to have it end up like that? Were you just installing it and it shreded?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Now I can see why nobody will take it back. It's used and appears to be abused. Not saying it was, but it certainly looks like it has. Looks like someone's hand (fingers) ripped through at that point pulling on the cover.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:42 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by talon90
While I have no idea what happened or how that happened, I'm feeling like you are going to have a difficult time getting anyone to take that back as a defective return.

It has the appearance of having been scraped. I'm not saying that is what happened but just how it looks in the picture you provided. It is pretty tattered and the two different levels of tear (outer and inner) look as if they were sheared.

Just out of curiosity, what did happen to have it end up like that? Were you just installing it and it shreded?
Note how the vinyl outer shell is delaminating from the felt backing. Installed in the AM(no damage present), drove to Chicago and noticed damage on late PM arrival. The bra looked great when I installed it, nice tight fit. If GM won't stand behind their products, I would advise against anyone considering this bra.

Last edited by op z; 09-09-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Stupid analogy. It's Chevy to Chevy, who cares where it was purchased? the dealer is being downright nasty about not taking it as a return. Is there any chance that Chevy Customer Service would be of any help in this situation?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Scholl
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same exact thing

I have the same issue---3000 miles. Send me your email and I will forward you a picture of the same exact thing at the same place. I live 200 miles from my dealer, so it's not worth the hassle for me to mess with. Glen e says to go with the novistretch. I've learned to trust his advice. I'll try and post a pic here, but not sure if I'm capable.

Get notified of new replies

To Defective GM Accessory-Forum Dealers?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Stupid analogy. It's Chevy to Chevy, who cares where it was purchased? the dealer is being downright nasty about not taking it as a return. Is there any chance that Chevy Customer Service would be of any help in this situation?
Every Chevy dealer is independent. Why should a dealer who didn't sell the item or profit from it, deal with it? Lots of people don't want to support their local business when they can save a buck but then expect that same local business to handle a problem they purchased somewhere else....
Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM
op z
Drifting

Originally Posted by rcooper
Chevy customer service closed the chat window when I would not go away. Great service... Where is the customer service rep on the forum?

Last edited by op z; 09-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 PM
A Solid Rock
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

From experience, squirrels enjoy chewing on things. Maybe the problem was from an animal and not directly a defective product issue. Just in MHO. Sometimes our best ideas turn out to be wrong in terms of what we think happened to our property.

Quick Reply: Defective GM Accessory-Forum Dealers?