C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could Corvettes be too much for young drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Could Corvettes be too much for young drivers?

I'm sure this will stir up some debate, but after learning of another fatal crash in a Corvette with a young driver at the wheel, I think it’s time we come to the realization that some people might just be too young to be trusted with that kind of power.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I do not agree with giving any young or inexperienced driver a high performance car, Corvette or otherwise. A neighbor just gave their 16-year-old a new C7. Really? I hope the kid makes it to 17.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Simply stated: take it to the track.

The speed is not the problem, it's where the speed is taking place. That section of Sea World Drive is not smooth - it has undulations and bumps, and if taken at 100mph, would send most any car flying sideways.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

A lot of things can not be trusted with the young.

Not that this is inherently wrong mind you, it is just the nature of gaining wisdom through life experiences.

AND some never acquire the spoken of wisdom even after a life full of experiences.

best plan is to educate the young as best as possible and I would never allow a young driver in a powerful car until they have proven to me that they have good judgment and do not act spontaneously in challenging situations.

Set, aim, fire...I'm ready.....
Old 09-15-2014, 02:26 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maturity and age are not the same thing.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Young people in today's economy cars can get into terrible accidents as well.

Just because a corvette c5 costs less than a new Hyundai sonata turbo doesn't mean either travel fast enough to kill the driver and passenger....
Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Greenkirby21
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dhowdy
I agree! It has a lot more to do with experience IMO. I'm only 23, but I've gone up the latter with cars. First was a mini, then golf, then BMW, and my C7. I don't floor the car at any turn or do anything bad. If anything, I'm worried about being hit so I drive super paranoid/cautious because I know what the car is capable of.

If I would have had a C7 as my first car, I might not be here! I drove my mini like I was in rally races
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
I do not agree with giving any young or inexperienced driver a high performance car, Corvette or otherwise. A neighbor just gave their 16-year-old a new C7. Really? I hope the kid makes it to 17.
Originally Posted by DGXR
Simply stated: take it to the track.

The speed is not the problem, it's where the speed is taking place. That section of Sea World Drive is not smooth - it has undulations and bumps, and if taken at 100mph, would send most any car flying sideways.
It's a maturity issue. Young drivers lack the maturity to make reasonable choices in handling any powerful car. It's not rocket science. Many people like to think their child is the exception, and of course some are. Most are not. It's no different than a 9 year old with an Uzi.

I would have surely killed myself as a teen driving such a car. It's just foolish to give such cars to young drivers. And unfortunately, the children pay the price for their parents stupidity.

Having said all this, I don't consider a "27 year old" a driver too young to safely handled a powerful car.

Last edited by dwward; 09-15-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: revision re age of driver
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

In most cases, it probably is too much for young drivers-as in too much money. Might not be the best car for an immature young person or for that matter an immature oldster although most people get maturity as they age, but not all.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Thank God. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:59 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw that on the local news last night. Does anyone know who it was? Is it a forum member?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

my immediate reactions to this posting:

1 - replace the word 'Corvette' with 'fast car' or something generic that doesn't single out one car. Calling out Corvette suggests that they would be safer in a Mustang 5.0 or a Challenger RT (quite the opposite is true). Motorcycles are even worse. They are faster and more dangerous than any car and can be had for just a few thousand dollars.

2 - 27 is a "young driver?" Most of the people I know were married with children at 27, owning homes, and had a good career path. If someone wants to cover this topic, talk about teenagers instead. I had owned 2 WS6 Trans Ams and Suzuki GSXR sport bike before I was 21. Those were reckless times, but long gone by 27.

3 - Already covered is age vs maturity. Professional racers start the sport as kids. If you haven't started racing by the time you are a teenager, you won't be getting your big break in Formula 1 or Nascar. Same thing applies with guns, money, fame, or any other thing that requires responsibility to be safe with.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by dwward
Having said all this, I don't consider a "27 year old" a driver too young to safely handled a powerful car.
I agree with this completely. I've been driving them since I was 23 (and I'm much older than that, now). I could have killed myself just as quickly in a 330HP C4 as I can now in my 640HP ZR1. I knew enough not to do stupid things on the road, but to instead: take it to a track.

It has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with experience and education. "Maturity", as one poster put it.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Pie R Squared
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150 BRD
I saw that on the local news last night. Does anyone know who it was? Is it a forum member?
I think I was the prior owner of this car the color, wheels, no front tag and BSM's are correct. I would need to see the rear tag or get the VIN number.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 PM
FlatBlackCaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think corvettes, and many other cars are too much for most drivers. Certainly younger ones.

The ability to handle a high performance vehicle and master advanced driving skills comes with practice over a long period of time(therefor age). Very Very few people under 25 even come close to being able to handle a car like this, the ones who do are likely to have years and years of EXPERIENCE in other forms of driving(Karting) that would bridge the gap and give them a "leg up" on others in their age group.

I'd never give an inexperienced driver(no matter the age, though younger is likely less experienced) any sort of high performance car. ANYONE that gets such a car is well advised to both respect it and take the time to learn how to use it(off the street, with professional supervision).

Not like anything will ever change though, everyone thinks they are "the best" and sadly will only find out otherwise when it's too late.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatBlackCaddy
I think corvettes, and many other cars are too much for most drivers. Certainly younger ones.
BINGO! Perfectly said.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I agree there are those young drivers that show a great deal of responsibility, but even those can have that laps in judgement (we all do at times) and this is what can happen.
I have said this over and over again when the subject of how much HP is enough and those that answer there is never enough. Look at the new Z06, the Hellcat and the top Mustang. All rated over 600+ HP. We all know there will be those that have the money (or mommy & daddy) that will be in one of these cars with little to no experience behind the wheel. They read all about the safety features such as Active handling Traction Control and so on and they think, no problem, the car will not get away from me with all this computer aided equipment. Next thing you know we are reading about it in the paper or seeing in on TV or YouTube.
I speak from experience, I totaled my first Corvette back in 1970. A '66 BB 427/425 roadster. I thought I knew how to handle it and the next thing I knew I was being helped out of the car that looked like a hourseshoe wrapped around a power pole.

Get notified of new replies

To Could Corvettes be too much for young drivers?

Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

I'm sure this will stir up some debate, but after learning of another fatal crash in a Corvette with a young driver at the wheel, I think it’s time we come to the realization that some people might just be too young to be trusted with that kind of power.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
It really depends on the young driver. In most cases I would say yes! I was one of them with my first Corvette at age 18. Rolled the car 3 times after 2 hours of taking delivery. High Speed, Black Ice and a wild driving teen = disaster! My '66 Corvette at the junk yard a day after.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 09-15-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is 27 young? i bought my 1st one at 26 never even came close to an accident and took mine to the track often. Also in the flip side "Could Corvettes be Too Much for OLD Drivers?" youth at least has all their motor functions still in place. See a 60yr+ dude whos half deaf and half blind clueless where he is half the time driving a 400hp car is more worrisome than any 20yr old.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:31 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I think almost any car these days will do 100 mph. It comes down to the individual. If your kid is a daredevil. Don't let him drive your sports car.

Quick Reply: Could Corvettes be too much for young drivers?