Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode

Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Default If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode

Our laws are so screwed up......... It's illegal to record someone in your car while they are sneaking it out for a quick drive without your permission!

From GM:

Attention:
General Manager, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Parts and

Service Director, Parts Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager,

and Warranty Administrator

This notice is being sent to you regarding 2015 model year Corvettes equipped with the Performance Data Recorder (UQT).

The Performance Data Recorder (UQT) in these vehicles, when used in Valet Mode, allows a customer to record the driving of their Corvette when the vehicle is not in their control. In Valet Mode, the PDR will also record activity and conversations that take place in the vehicle.

To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. We expect that the update will be available early next month. At that time, we will provide details about the update and let you know what steps you need to take, if any, to complete the update for vehicles in your inventory.

In the meantime, you must advise any customers who take delivery of an impacted vehicle that they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place. If they do use the Valet Mode, they should (i) notify any occupants of the vehicle that they will be recorded while in the vehicle, and (ii) obtain their consent to this recording. It is very important that you explain this to each customer at the time of delivery.

Attached is a copy of a written communication for you to provide to customers to accomplish this notice. We are sending the same communication to customers who have already taken delivery of a Corvette vehicle equipped with PDR.

We greatly appreciate your cooperation in conveying this important information to your customers.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
Our laws are so screwed up......... It's illegal to record someone in your car while they are sneaking it out for a quick drive without your permission!

From GM:

Attention:
General Manager, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Parts and

Service Director, Parts Manager, New Vehicle Sales Manager,

and Warranty Administrator

This notice is being sent to you regarding 2015 model year Corvettes equipped with the Performance Data Recorder (UQT).

The Performance Data Recorder (UQT) in these vehicles, when used in Valet Mode, allows a customer to record the driving of their Corvette when the vehicle is not in their control. In Valet Mode, the PDR will also record activity and conversations that take place in the vehicle.

To help our customers use the Performance Data Recorder (UQT) consistent with legal requirements that pertain to audio recording devices, we will be requiring a very important update to the system of each affected vehicle in the near future. We expect that the update will be available early next month. At that time, we will provide details about the update and let you know what steps you need to take, if any, to complete the update for vehicles in your inventory.

In the meantime, you must advise any customers who take delivery of an impacted vehicle that they should refrain from using the Valet Mode until the update takes place. If they do use the Valet Mode, they should (i) notify any occupants of the vehicle that they will be recorded while in the vehicle, and (ii) obtain their consent to this recording. It is very important that you explain this to each customer at the time of delivery.

Attached is a copy of a written communication for you to provide to customers to accomplish this notice. We are sending the same communication to customers who have already taken delivery of a Corvette vehicle equipped with PDR.

We greatly appreciate your cooperation in conveying this important information to your customers.

Which states is this applicable for, it's not a federal problem so some restrictions apply to certain states, some states will not have such restrictions as California.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Are you kidding? Recording the little valet/mechanic/detailing criminals abusing my car would be virtually 100% of the reason I would get the stupid PDR in the first place!!! I have spent most of my life in the Criminal Justice community and I tell you there is no legal/civil "expectation of privacy" in someone else' car. This is just plain stupid!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

From what I heard, that's for Canada only. Recording laws in the US vary state-to-state so it gets messy.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting - laws of course vary state by state, but it would absolutely be illegal in VA (which, in general, permits recording only so long as at least one party to the conversation has knowledge that it is being recorded).
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by Silverblue

Are you kidding? Recording the little valet/mechanic/detailing criminals abusing my car would be virtually 100% of the reason I would get the stupid PDR in the first place!!! I have spent most of my life in the Criminal Justice community and I tell you there is no legal/civil "expectation of privacy" in someone else' car. This is just plain stupid!

the various Court rulings regarding expectation of privacy in a vehicle is substantially different than each individual state's wiretapping laws.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

It seems odd that this wasn't considered during development of the system.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:30 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I have spent most of my life in the Criminal Justice community and I tell you there is no legal/civil "expectation of privacy" in someone else' car. This is just plain stupid!

Sounds reasonable to me and I really hope you’re right.

As others have said, if GM wanted a “real” valet mode, there would be a key option that reduced the available power to say 200 HP and say 4000 rpm so some ******** valet clown couldn’t horsewhip your car.

Valid fear of abuse is why I will never put the car in the hands of a valet driver, plus I feel no need to pay absurd prices and tip some high school dropout when I can park a little farther out for free. Call me cheap if you wish, it won’t hurt my feelings. Don
Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Valet mode recording was probably an after thought. People were bitching about being forced to purchase the PDR ($1,000) and marketing came up with fluff to soften the blow.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Profit
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's stupid if they disable it. Why can't they have the system display "Valet Mode Recording in Progress" on the screen
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I have no problem handing someone a waiver to sign before valeting my car if that is necessary.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I planned on using it when I take my car in for the free oil changes.About 10 years ago, the dealer cracked my front spoiler on my C5 but I couldn't prove it.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had my camera recording for the last year, and it has been invaluable to learn how my car is handled during service and valet. In one instance I heard the worker open the screen and inventory what was in there. In another instance I had a worker test drive my car and he was very respectful with how he drove it and I will be more likely to return to that place for service in the future. I also recommend them if anyone in the area is looking for wheels and tires.

People whose livelihood involves high-end vehicles should expect that the car is outfitted with a camera and their actions are being recorded.

I used to tell them that there was a camera in the car even when there wasn't. It just gave me a little extra piece of mind.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
From what I heard, that's for Canada only. Recording laws in the US vary state-to-state so it gets messy.
in Texas you can record conversations as long as one party knows the conversation is being recorded (u can be that person knowing the conversation is being recorded). I took cases where defendant wanted recording thrown out but of course, there are exceptions to the hearsay rule and recording stayed with the cases. One guy was in back seat of patrol car arrested for DWI with recording going on in the car. The officer had even turned the camera towards defendant in the back seat. The guy asked to speak to his wife and officer obliged and then defendant asked his wife to get the marijuana out of his pocket before he was taken to jail. You could plainly see his wife reach in and remove a Baggie from defendants front shirt pocket. The defense attorney tried to get recording/video excluded but the motion was denied and then defendant pled guilty.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

That's a BS law, but no one should be valeting your C7 in the first place. Park it yourself.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:35 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Its sad that GM feels they need to cripple the valet mode on the PDR with a software update. This would have been handy to catch the dealership clowns that like to do burnouts on our cars.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 09-22-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
Interesting - laws of course vary state by state, but it would absolutely be illegal in VA (which, in general, permits recording only so long as at least one party to the conversation has knowledge that it is being recorded).
I think you meant "legal" which it is in VA and MD as long as one party (you) is aware.

Get notified of new replies

To If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode

Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I think you meant "legal" which it is in VA and MD as long as one party (you) is aware.
assuming that I am not missing something: the recorder, as currently set up, would be illegal in Virginia. Unless "you" were in the car as well of course.

(and I do practice law in VA, for what its worth )

Last edited by Al Blue4.6l; 09-22-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Sounds reasonable to me and I really hope you’re right.

As others have said, if GM wanted a “real” valet mode, there would be a key option that reduced the available power to say 200 HP and say 4000 rpm so some ******** valet clown couldn’t horsewhip your car.

Valid fear of abuse is why I will never put the car in the hands of a valet driver, plus I feel no need to pay absurd prices and tip some high school dropout when I can park a little farther out for free. Call me cheap if you wish, it won’t hurt my feelings. Don
by the time a valet figures out that the car only has 200 hp it's already too late. A reduction of power for "valets" means absolutely nothing, what it has to do is lock out 3-7th gears and even then damage could be done by a pissed off valet.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM
MY70THAnv
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
by the time a valet figures out that the car only has 200 hp it's already too late. A reduction of power for "valets" means absolutely nothing, what it has to do is lock out 3-7th gears and even then damage could be done by a pissed off valet.
I will be telling My dealer I do not want the update.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you have PDR, it's illegal to use it in Valet Mode