Sponsored by:

7 speeds, check you trans fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 PM
A471133
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Default 7 speeds, check you trans fluid level

My car was manufactured in May Vin#6845. Since I started driving the car for the past few months, the clutch always felt a little notchy and the transmission always felt a little sluggish like starting the car when it's freezing cold. I took it to the dealership to have them check out the transmission, and was told that it needed to break in the clutch and transmission over time, it will smooth out. This being my first brand-new car, I didn't think anything of it. I changed the clutch fluid a few weeks ago, and the notchiness remained the same.

I had my car up on the lift today to change the oil and inspect the bottom in anticipation of a cross-country trip. While I had it up on the lift, I decided to go ahead and change the transmission fluid. I obtained the proper manner transmission fluid from GM noting that in the manual I would need about 4.2 quarts. I drained all the fluid and placed it in a large container and then went about filling the transmission. I filled as stated in the factory service manual until liquid reached the bottom of the fill hole and no more liquid dripped out. After I placed all the fluid in, I went to transfer the drained fluid into the empty bottles for recycling.

I noticed at this point the drained fluid only filled up a little less than three of the empty quart bottles. I then used a graduated cylinder and measured out exactly how much fluid drained, it was 2.9 quarts. Having put in about 4 quarts, it seemed to be underfilled from the factory by almost a quart. Just to doublecheck that I wasn't crazy and overfilled it, I lowered the car fully onto level surface, squeezed underneath it and stretch my arm and opened the fill plug, and no more fluid drained out. I then tightened all the bolts back to specs, and I took it for a test drive. Even from a cold start with the transmission fluid cold, it was noticeably smoother than before. I inspected the drain transmission fluid, and thank goodness it didn't have any kind of metal flakes or shavings in it.

For those of you that have the seven speed and have noticed that your transmission or clutch is sluggish, don't just assume that it's because the clutch or transmission needs be broken in more. I don't know if this is a widespread problem, but it seems my car was under filled from the factory. I only had about 2000 miles on my car, and was glad that I caught this when I did. I did not receive any service messages on my dash, and even after a check by the dealer, this was missed.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts
Default I call bull ****

My car is 7727 and was built last November .... Better check your facts
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM
shreded1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are over 30k built already. I would guess his vin may be 26845.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CSEVEN
Harsh! Like the other member said, maybe he forgot a 2.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I believe it happens.Um I wouldn't put to much into it.Not to change The subject,but A friend of mine had A harley.I have one to.He took it to the shop for them to change the gear oil in his transmission.Anyway he checked it about 100 miles later and it was empty.Anyway to keep the story short he added fluid and never had trouble with the transmission.
What I'm saying is even though it was A little low your transmission is probably ok.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A471133
My car was manufactured in May Vin#6845. Since I started driving the car for the past few months, the clutch always felt a little notchy and the transmission always felt a little sluggish like starting the car when it's freezing cold. I took it to the dealership to have them check out the transmission, and was told that it needed to break in the clutch and transmission over time, it will smooth out. This being my first brand-new car, I didn't think anything of it. I changed the clutch fluid a few weeks ago, and the notchiness remained the same.

I had my car up on the lift today to change the oil and inspect the bottom in anticipation of a cross-country trip. While I had it up on the lift, I decided to go ahead and change the transmission fluid. I obtained the proper manner transmission fluid from GM noting that in the manual I would need about 4.2 quarts. I drained all the fluid and placed it in a large container and then went about filling the transmission. I filled as stated in the factory service manual until liquid reached the bottom of the fill hole and no more liquid dripped out. After I placed all the fluid in, I went to transfer the drained fluid into the empty bottles for recycling.

I noticed at this point the drained fluid only filled up a little less than three of the empty quart bottles. I then used a graduated cylinder and measured out exactly how much fluid drained, it was 2.9 quarts. Having put in about 4 quarts, it seemed to be underfilled from the factory by almost a quart. Just to doublecheck that I wasn't crazy and overfilled it, I lowered the car fully onto level surface, squeezed underneath it and stretch my arm and opened the fill plug, and no more fluid drained out. I then tightened all the bolts back to specs, and I took it for a test drive. Even from a cold start with the transmission fluid cold, it was noticeably smoother than before. I inspected the drain transmission fluid, and thank goodness it didn't have any kind of metal flakes or shavings in it.

For those of you that have the seven speed and have noticed that your transmission or clutch is sluggish, don't just assume that it's because the clutch or transmission needs be broken in more. I don't know if this is a widespread problem, but it seems my car was under filled from the factory. I only had about 2000 miles on my car, and was glad that I caught this when I did. I did not receive any service messages on my dash, and even after a check by the dealer, this was missed.
Glad you checked the transmission fluid when you did.

I have a 2015 M7 #1315. The owners manual does not state the quantity or type of fluid. I am curious as to where you found this information?

Also, where did you obtain a factory service manual?

Regards
Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
A471133
Racer

Just gave my last 4 of my vin, don't know how u folks usually do it since I don't post on here much; doesn't change the fact that my car was made toward the end of production year and this was an issue for it. As far as the factory service manual, followed Theta's guide on the excellent sticky on this site
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 AM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by A471133
Just gave my last 4 of my vin, don't know how u folks usually do it since I don't post on here much; doesn't change the fact that my car was made toward the end of production year and this was an issue for it. As far as the factory service manual, followed Theta's guide on the excellent sticky on this site
Thanks. I did not not know their was a sticky concerning this subject.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good catch on the low fluid level.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That master how-to thread is great...
Old 10-15-2014, 07:17 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My first few shifts when cold are usually a little stiff but all quickly smooths in a few minutes of driving. Never had a manual shift car or truck that did not do the same.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
My first few shifts when cold are usually a little stiff but all quickly smooths in a few minutes of driving. Never had a manual shift car or truck that did not do the same.
Your right.It's the nature of the beast.It's second nature to me.
Driven manuals so much I don't pay attention if it's A little stiff.I just grab the thing and throw it in gear.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
A471133
Racer

Yeah, it was the stiffness after the tranny fully warmed up that irritated me. Dealer did a "full" inspection and took it on a road test and told me everything was normal. Probably won't be going back to that dealership for future service.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way to go full dbag on the poor guy.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 PM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by droideka
way to go full dbag on the poor guy.
X2. Agree. Very unnecessary.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

I do come to site to read false stories, I guess you guys like the drama
Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do come to site to read false stories, I guess you guys like the drama
damn, keep bringing the pain with that wit and intellect. it's entertaining. did you even see the post by the OP where he stats that he only listed the last four digits of his VIN? still calling bull****?

Get notified of new replies

To 7 speeds, check you trans fluid level

Quick Reply: 7 speeds, check you trans fluid level