Sponsored by:

How to install apps on MyLink?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM
jmoses52
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How to install apps on MyLink?

I have a 2015 2LT with no nav and I want to know how to install apps on it. I have seen videos with others having siri, beats audio, and weather ect on their car. I am suck with just Pandora and I dont know how to make that work either.

So if anyone knows how to link your phone to the car properly to get siri to work and tell me how to download apps on mylink, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:56 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-tips.html
Old 10-23-2014, 02:58 PM
jmoses52
Pro

I looked in there, but no specific instructions for linking your phone up to your car so it can share the data.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoses52
I looked in there, but no specific instructions for linking your phone up to your car so it can share the data.
(phones are typically linked via) bluetooth pairing.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

You should also have a supplemental manual that addresses the pairing of devices along with the rest of the infotainment/my link stuff.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have an Droid phone, when you follow the book and it says searching, on the bottom of the phone screen will be the section to tap. On other phones, I have no help.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Why don't you just go back to your sales man, he should be able to do it in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

... and tell me how to download apps on mylink, I would greatly appreciate it.
Adding apps that didn't come with your car isn't possible at this time. Below is an article on this topic.

In April, we told you that General Motors was delaying the rollout of its in-vehicle AppShop functionality until 2015 due to issues with quality and customer experience. Now, the company has announced it will delay the rollout of AppShop indefinitely due to it not meeting company expectations.
“The App Shop didn’t meet our customer experience expectations, and so we’ve delayed the introduction of it,” said GM chief infotainment officer Phil Abram. “I don’t have a date today to share with you on when we will be bringing it out.”
GM originally planned to introduce App Shop (and Cadillac equivalent CUE Collection) this summer with several launch apps including Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio, and Eventseeker. It would have been complimented by GM’s in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi technology, which is still on track to be introduced in 2015 model year GM vehicles. GM says that it did a lot of internal testing with AppShop, but ultimately decided it wasn’t ready for market use.
“If it’s not right, we’re not going to put it out there,” Abrams said.
When it is ready for consumers, AppShop will launch first on the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette C7, Impala, Malibu and Volt, followed by the Equinox, Silverado, Silverado HD, Spark and Spark EV. GM made no announcements regarding CUE Collection, a version of AppShop that was destined for Cadillac vehicles, but it is assumed the rollout of that program is also postponed until further notice.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/...#ixzz3H0eXOR8U
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM
jmoses52
Pro

Thank you all, I got the Bluetooth setup no problem with that, I thought I needed to share data from my iPhone to the car.

Since the App Store is not available it explains a lot now. But any instructions on making pandora to work since that is already on the system and I have the app on my phone.

Also how do I integrate Siri?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Also how do I integrate Siri?
2014s have a Phone button on the display to push and hold.

2015s need to hold the talk button on steering wheel until Siri prompts for request.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I now understand it, they are abandoning the AppShop and going to Apple Car Play and equivalent Google application.

"General Motors has decided not to move forward with its connected car tech MyLink, a platform allowing developers to build Internet-connected apps for the company’s line of vehicles."
"Instead, the automaker will integrate upcoming technology from the likes of Apple and Google, according to GigaOm. MyLink was intended to be a way for GM to bring a variety of third-party services to its 2015 cars, including apps from NPR, map service Glympse, Pandora, Slacker Radio, and others."

I specifically asked if they were going to update the 14's. They specifically said the system was "operating as designed", and no, they had no plans to update. However, they did integrate the crappy OnStar System into the Navigation so you have to use the D&C plan to get decent functionality. Their cheapest car, the Spark, has better connectivity than the Corvette. Not sure what they are telling the 2015 owners, but they now have a opportunity to pay even more to have a data plan on the OnStar system, but still no decent connectivity to the MyLink system. A 21st century car with 1990's electronics.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/11/gm...-android-auto/

Last edited by rohard; 10-23-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 PM
jmoses52
Pro

Originally Posted by rohard
As I now understand it, they are abandoning the AppShop and going to Apple Car Play and equivalent Google application.

"General Motors has decided not to move forward with its connected car tech MyLink, a platform allowing developers to build Internet-connected apps for the company’s line of vehicles."
"Instead, the automaker will integrate upcoming technology from the likes of Apple and Google, according to GigaOm. MyLink was intended to be a way for GM to bring a variety of third-party services to its 2015 cars, including apps from NPR, map service Glympse, Pandora, Slacker Radio, and others."

I specifically asked if they were going to update the 14's. They specifically said the system was "operating as designed", and no, they had no plans to update. However, they did integrate the crappy OnStar System into the Navigation so you have to use the D&C plan to get decent functionality. Their cheapest car, the Spark, has better connectivity than the Corvette. Not sure what they are telling the 2015 owners, but they now have a opportunity to pay even more to have a data plan on the OnStar system, but still no decent connectivity to the MyLink system. A 21st century car with 1990's electronics.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/11/gm...-android-auto/

We better be getting a free upgrade if this is true.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 PM
jmoses52
Pro

Originally Posted by abrimberry

2015s need to hold the talk button on steering wheel until Siri prompts for request.
Thanks, I will give this a shot when I get in the car in the morning.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

As a registered GM app developer and have downloaded all the app material that GM provides and finally being a professional embedded software developer I can tell you that an app that a developer may create must be approved by GM before it is allowed in MyLink. Of course I know of no such app ever being loaded into MYLink by any means.

What I was looking for was a way to load an app via the USB port. I did not find an API that would allow an app to be loaded via USB. I know that there must be one, but GM is not exposing it to its developers in its development package.

It appears that MyLink Infotainment is nothing more that a stop gap measure until Apple or Google make a system available to GM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We better be getting a free upgrade if this is true.
The answer I got is "NO". I have asked if one would be available for sale. (Think the PAL that GM made available for the early C6's.) No answer that I am aware of. Essentially they have told the owners of the 14's to "go pound sand". The 15's have the PDR, but now sure if they have any better interconnectivity. They did get a new built in "cell phone" with 4G/LTE (if you buy a data plan from ATT). It appears to me that GM has abandoned the concept of have the ChevAppShop with proprietary applications, and doubled down on it's bet on OnStar, which is very irritating. Anything OnStar can do you can do with a smartphone integrated into the MyLink system. instead, GM seems intent on trying to nickel and dime us for the OnStar, while denying us the ability to use our existing smartphones and data plans on the internet. Bad business, not a model any of their competitors are apparently following.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
jmoses52
Pro

Originally Posted by rohard
The answer I got is "NO". I have asked if one would be available for sale. (Think the PAL that GM made available for the early C6's.) No answer that I am aware of. Essentially they have told the owners of the 14's to "go pound sand". The 15's have the PDR, but now sure if they have any better interconnectivity. They did get a new built in "cell phone" with 4G/LTE (if you buy a data plan from ATT). It appears to me that GM has abandoned the concept of have the ChevAppShop with proprietary applications, and doubled down on it's bet on OnStar, which is very irritating. Anything OnStar can do you can do with a smartphone integrated into the MyLink system. instead, GM seems intent on trying to nickel and dime us for the OnStar, while denying us the ability to use our existing smartphones and data plans on the internet. Bad business, not a model any of their competitors are apparently following.
Well this really sucks, I will need to call my dealer and talk to him, cause I really though I could do a lot with the mylink system and therefore I didnt get the nav on my 2015. Thanks for the information, really helpful.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
jmoses52
Pro

Originally Posted by craigcurry
As a registered GM app developer and have downloaded all the app material that GM provides and finally being a professional embedded software developer I can tell you that an app that a developer may create must be approved by GM before it is allowed in MyLink. Of course I know of no such app ever being loaded into MYLink by any means.

What I was looking for was a way to load an app via the USB port. I did not find an API that would allow an app to be loaded via USB. I know that there must be one, but GM is not exposing it to its developers in its development package.

It appears that MyLink Infotainment is nothing more that a stop gap measure until Apple or Google make a system available to GM.

I will be super mad if it comes in the 2016 vettes and GM doest do anything to solve this issue on the 15's

Get notified of new replies

To How to install apps on MyLink?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
jmoses52
Pro

Originally Posted by abrimberry

Works like a charm, thanks a lot.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Thank you all, I got the Bluetooth setup no problem with that, I thought I needed to share data from my iPhone to the car.
I feel your pain... have a cheapo motorola phone...mylink cannot/won't
read/transfer the contacts. While bluetooth works, I have to know the number to call, and either type it in or voice command it one digit at a time.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Brucealeg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What terrible news. I feel like auto industry history tells us we're all screwed. We wont get a free upgrade and there will be mitigating reasons why we can't upgrade the system to what ever the new standard is. I would love to switch to Apples new system.

Bruce

PS - sorry for resurrecting this slightly old thread, trying to be a good searcher lol

Quick Reply: How to install apps on MyLink?