Sponsored by:

Poor C6 owner breaks into piggy bank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:44 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I would let them replace the tranny on warranty and jump on the 9k discount. That's a hard one to pass up.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
He knew the Chevy dealer, was a repeat customer, yada, yada.....

Sometimes you walk into buy a new Corvette in-stock, and they floor you with their low, low sales number. H#ll, that happened to me when I walked in to buy a new Corvette in December 1976. Brand new 1977 L82 was over $2K less than any other Chevy dealer I shopped at the same time. Owner hit me with a cash price - so I pulled out a Cashiers Check for $5K and the title for my 2-year old Cadillac, bought it on-the-spot and drove home in a new Corvette an hour later. Miracles do happen.
I'm sticking with my theory that the dealer knew their was an issue and that is the only reason why they offered such a huge discount on this car only, over your theory........where one would have to believe in miracles to believe.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
I would let them replace the tranny on warranty and jump on the 9k discount. That's a hard one to pass up.
The dealer was hoping so.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
I'm sticking with my theory that the dealer knew their was an issue and that is the only reason why they offered such a huge discount on this car only, over your theory........where one would have to believe in miracles to believe.
You are entitled to your theory but it is not a proven fact as to why the $9,000 discount was offered,

MAYBE the original purchaser made a $2,000-$3,000 deposit when he special ordered the car.

MAYBE the contract stipulated that if the final purchase was not completed within 30 days after the dealer received the car, then MAYBE the deposit was forfeited.

MAYBE the combination of color/options was such that the dealer felt he would have trouble selling the car in a reasonable period of time.

MAYBE the dealer decided to attach the forfeited deposit to their normal discount in order to quickly move the car off the showroom floor, instead of having it sit there on the floor plan, costing the dealer money in interest.

MAYBE the dealer did not know the car had a defective transmission when they put it on their showroom floor for sale.

MAYBE you are wrong.

I'm not presenting the above MAYBE's as a statement of fact as I don't know the nit and gritty details of why the dealer offered to sell the car with a $9,000 discount and neither does my friend. BUT, it is a fact that the car was discounted $9,000 and it's a fact that you don't know why it was discounted $9,000.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-06-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

While the car may run for the next 100,000 miles with nary a problem, my friend was concerned that the car might become problematic in the years to come, thus he decided to not purchase the car. I'm not implying as to what kind of deal he can get on another car, but $6,000-$7,000 is reasonable. It's possible that getting the additional $2,000-$3,000 discount was not worth it to my friend.

Personally, I believe the car will be okay after the new transmission is installed, and it won't have any effect on the car's resale value 5 years down the line, and like you, that would be a hard deal to pass on.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You are entitled to your theory but it is not a proven fact as to why the $9,000 discount was offered,

MAYBE the original purchaser made a $2,000-$3,000 deposit when he special ordered the car.

MAYBE the contract stipulated that if the final purchase was not completed within 30 days after the dealer received the car, then MAYBE the deposit was forfeited.

MAYBE the combination of color/options was such that the dealer felt he would have trouble selling the car in a reasonable period of time.

MAYBE the dealer decided to attach the forfeited deposit to their normal discount in order to quickly move the car off the showroom floor, instead of having it sit there on the floor plan, costing the dealer money in interest.

MAYBE the dealer did not know the car had a defective transmission when they put it on their showroom floor for sale.

MAYBE you are wrong.

I'm not presenting the above MAYBE's as a statement of fact as I don't know the nit and gritty details of why the dealer offered to sell the car with a $9,000 discount and neither does my friend. BUT, it is a fact that the car was discounted $9,000 and it's a fact that you don't know why it was discounted $9,000.
...and until there is another plausible reason presented, the most likely scenario is that the dealer already knew of the transmission problem. The MOST LIKELY scenario is that the transmission issue is why the 1st buyer backed out in the first place.

The transmission problem didn't just magically create itself while the car sat motionless on the showroom floor.

There are no 2015s on dealer lots long enough for them to start worrying about inventory cost.

Any dealer that wouldn't try to pocket a deposit from a buyer that backed out and also try to get as much as they can from the next buyer is a bad business person.
But the dealer never kept a deposit from the first buyer, because they had "cause" for backing out - a MAJOR issue.

Why didn't you post the color combo?

Even if your "dealer kept the deposit" theory were somehow true, it shows that a $9k discount on a 2015 without qualifying for Supplier discount and with absolutely no strings attached, is not a reality.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:57 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Dealers are in the biz to make money, and sometimes it doesn't make sense to the average person walking in the door. Reducing the price more than supposedly needed, as defined by whom? I've seen cars equipped a certain way that would take added time to sell (I've even had one). Added time is, and costs, money--money not to the buyer, but to the dealer.

Extra discount? Who knows? Maybe they needed a number of sold cars for that month. Maybe not making that number costs them.....money to NOT make that number sold in that particular month. This little/not so little glitch is big to them, but not a buyer's wallet.

As to pricing, I've just had a dealer change a price on a car in a day, upwards, after publishing both initial and upped price on their website and a national one. It didn't stick at the higher number, but it could have to the more unsuspecting buyer. And just so it's understood, at any given dealer there really are only a couple to a few people who really know the reason for the price and profit of any particular car or cars (it's subject to change frequently).

As to dealers pocketing deposits on ordered cars, very unusual, not the norm and not a good biz practice. Some do, but very few because most can sell them and you can't do that by many state and local laws.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
If the price is still good, you might want to jump on it yourself?

A new C7 is hard to find with a drop dead price of $9K off on-the-spot.

You sound like you paid list price plus having to go pick it up @ the museum for your C7, right?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
Dealers are in the biz to make money, and sometimes it doesn't make sense to the average person walking in the door. Reducing the price more than supposedly needed, as defined by whom? I've seen cars equipped a certain way that would take added time to sell (I've even had one). Added time is, and costs, money--money not to the buyer, but to the dealer.

Extra discount? Who knows? Maybe they needed a number of sold cars for that month. Maybe not making that number costs them.....money to NOT make that number sold in that particular month. This little/not so little glitch is big to them, but not a buyer's wallet.

As to pricing, I've just had a dealer change a price on a car in a day, upwards, after publishing both initial and upped price on their website and a national one. It didn't stick at the higher number, but it could have to the more unsuspecting buyer. And just so it's understood, at any given dealer there really are only a couple to a few people who really know the reason for the price and profit of any particular car or cars (it's subject to change frequently).

As to dealers pocketing deposits on ordered cars, very unusual, not the norm and not a good biz practice. Some do, but very few because most can sell them and you can't do that by many state and local laws.
All true. The Chevy dealer I bought my new C3 from had ordered (15) just alike except for a few L82s. He had (9) left when I happened upon his dealership in a small town in Eastern Nebraska.

Miracles do happen. The guy saved me over $2K which was significant on a Corvette that listed for $11K.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

MAYBE you are wrong.

A replaced transmission would make the car more valuable to me, since it was done right that go around from the manufacturer.

If anything, the new trans. would be more thoroughly gone over for perfection than a new C7 w/o such detail.

Some ppl seem to think that their C7 is the only one that will never need warranty action/service taking place on their Corvette. They're living in a dream world - warranty needs are a fact of life on the C7.

No one knows what issues if any were involved. I chalk it up to C7 price envy. They paid list+, so they get all bent out of shape when they hear somebody else didn't.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads

The reason I brought the deposit up was for the fact that the dealer had to wait 30 days before they could sell the car to another person. If all they had to do is return the deposit if the guy said he didn't want the car, then I would think they could put the car up for sale at that time.

Or, maybe they never were able to locate the original purchaser, to return his deposit, thus the 30 day wait came into play. I bet that all that is covered in the contract that the original purchaser signed.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

A replaced transmission would make the car more valuable to me, since it was done right that go around from the manufacturer.

If anything, the new trans. would be more thoroughly gone over for perfection than a new C7 w/o such detail.

Some ppl seem to think that their C7 is the only one that will never need warranty action/service taking place on their Corvette. They're living in a dream world - warranty needs are a fact of life on the C7.

No one knows what issues if any were involved. I chalk it up to C7 price envy. They paid list+, so they get all bent out of shape when they hear somebody else didn't.
There is another thread about a new C7 A8 with very few miles having it's transmission replaced under warranty. I doubt if it's resale value is $9,000 less than an identical car with a transmission that has not been replaced under warranty.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM
MTV_Shayan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey25
Being new to the Corvette family I'm a little confused by the theme of this thread.

I had assumed that buying a Vette was buying into a family and that many were multi-generational buyers who started somewhere. Certainly I am hoping to be in a financial position to 'upgrade' to a C8 in due course but wouldn't think less of C7 drivers, rather be happy for them as I know how much joy this car gives me.

The only negative reaction to the car I've experienced was from a C5 driver at a gas station. Does this mean I think all C5 drivers have a problem? Not at all. I wave at all vettes I pass and get waves back a lot of the time from all generations. The good owners far outweigh the negative ones in my limited experience so don't understand the snobbery and reverse snobbery hinted at (or in some cases explicitly stated).

Aren't we all car people at the end of the day?

Someone says something as a slight towards my car I'll put my head in the garage, look at it and smile knowing it's not a car problem, it's that person's problem, not worth worrying about.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

If the price is still good, you might want to jump on it yourself?

A new C7 is hard to find with a drop dead price of $9K off on-the-spot.

You sound like you paid list price plus having to go pick it up @ the museum for your C7, right?
NOT - $5,200 off MSRP back in 1st week of March through a forum dealer. Drop shipped to local dealer.

Seems like you were a psychic with no powers and that's what landed you on skid row....Joe.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-08-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM
shins11
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have pics of a beautiful inferno orange ZR1, really lights up out in the sun. My favorite GM orange so far. IMO the Sky is the weak link.
Maybe I can convince the wife....
Originally Posted by oyealiz
One of my friends had a Camaro this color. It would be a gorgeous color on the vette, IMO. Of course, I have a vette that's really orange, not copper colored.

Yes I would go for it in a heartbeat........IOM is sharp
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Personally, I believe the car will be okay after the new transmission is installed, and it won't have any effect on the car's resale value 5 years down the line, and like you, that would be a hard deal to pass on.
I think YOU should buy it!

Originally Posted by shins11
Maybe I can convince the wife....
That orange would look good on the c7, yes?!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oyealiz
I think YOU should buy it!

That orange would look good on the c7, yes?!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. $9,000 discount off a new Z06 would get my blood boiling.

Quick Reply: Poor C6 owner breaks into piggy bank.