C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

This is a Edmunds article dated August 2013 about how Chevrolet is trying with the new C7 to attract new buyers and change the image. Now that the C7 has been out a year how do you feel it has done? In the article it states the average buyer is over 60. Here is the article below

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Advertising to Court Wives, Porsche Owners
(2 Comments)
08/20/2013 - By Rick Kranz

Just the Facts:
The advertising for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will target wives of prospective owners and Porsche enthusiasts, Chevrolet said.
The upcoming Corvette advertising will take an unusual twist, with luxury highlighted as much as performance.
The advertising will attempt to shift what Chevrolet says is a negative perception of the man's car in the eyes of women.

MONTEREY, California — Chevrolet is taking a bold step and aiming the redesigned 2014 Corvette Stingray primarily at enthusiasts who prefer German brands.

"We really want to go after the people who buy Porsches, Jaguars, Audis and BMWs and try and get them to look at our car and think a little bit differently about it," said John Fitzpatrick, Chevrolet's marketing manager for the redesigned Corvette. "We will try to convince them that we are a worthy competitor."

The advertising push will try to win over buyers who would never consider a Corvette.

The average Corvette buyer is a man who is over 60.

The redesigned Corvette Stingray coupe will arrive at selected Chevrolet dealers in late September or early October. The convertible will bow in December.

While no one is using the term reinvention, Corvette is stressing luxury on nearly an equal footing as performance, and it is planning special events to emphasize the point with "life precisionists."

"For us it is a marketing term," said Fitzpatrick who was interviewed at a Corvette event in California. "For these customers precision plays a high factor in their life. They are people who look at life and say, 'I really need to have the best of everything.' They look for precise handling in their vehicles, precise functionality in their vehicles. They are very particular."

They also have a higher income than today's Corvette buyer and are better educated.

"It does not matter if they are men or women," Fitzpatrick said. "We've just got to change that overall perception" about the Corvette.

Fitzpatrick admits most women have a negative perception of Corvette. The car is perceived as a man's car with its emphasis on racing and straight-line performance. Fitzpatrick said many men want to own a Corvette, but their response is "my wife does not like the stigma around the Corvette."

"But we have to change her," he said. "We've got to explain the car. We have to show it is a great driving car, it is a great handling car and it is a very comfortable car. It is a car you can (take) on a long vacation."

Advertising might show a well-dressed couple getting into their new Corvette after dining or staying at an exclusive restaurant or resort. The car's premium napa leather-wrapped interior might be highlighted. Previous commercials stressed the car's racing heritage or the joy of ownership, showing a male driver behind the wheel as the car races through the countryside.

The luxury cues in the ads will focus on Corvette's interior. The new high-end optional interior package has been praised by some journalists as being more luxurious than Porsche's. Previous-generation Corvettes were criticized for the cheap look of the interior.

The new Corvette's 3LT interior package includes leather, navigation system, color head-up display and other equipment. The package stickers for $8,005. The base Corvette Stingray coupe is priced at $51,995 including $995 for transportation. The convertible carries a $56,995 sticker price including transportation.

Fitzpatrick said several programs are planned this year and next for the owners of Porsches and other nameplates, events where they will get hands-on experience behind the wheel.

"Porsche is a great car," he said. "They have a very loyal customer base, just like Corvette. Just like we have customers who are on the fringe end, who are looking at what's better, what's next, we are trying in some ways to get those fringe Porsche customers as well, who are loyal to Porsche, but they are thinking what else is out there.

"In some ways it is trying to convert the customer, each customer, one at a time. It is changing perceptions."

But with change comes risk. The 2014 Corvette Stingray's exterior styling has been criticized by some Corvette loyalists. The car has angular shapes; the previous models were curvaceous. They argue that Corvette has abandoned some of the iconic styling cues that the car has carried for decades. But Fitzpatrick said significant styling changes were necessary to attract new, younger buyers.

"Research showed that people who were not Corvette loyalists would look at the car, especially the rear end, and they would think the car never changed," Fitzpatrick said. "They think it is the same car from 20 years ago."

The round dual taillights that have been a signature styling cue since 1963 have been abandoned, replaced with large rectangular shaped taillights.

The new exterior design includes the addition of a large rectangular-shaped side window, located behind the door. The styling feature is common on some Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche models, but never on any previous-generation Corvette.

"So we know we are controversial," Fitzpatrick said. "You had to take that leap, especially if you wanted to start getting on people's radar."

Edmunds says: Will women — and Porsche fans — warm up to the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray?

View more Consumer Car News articles
Font Size: AAA
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Daemek
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 72 Posts

My answer to this question is yes. I'm 30 years old. I saw this car in the Captain America 2 movie and didn't know what it was in the brief screen shot. I soon found out it was a Corvette and I wanted one. Told my wife, I was gonna buy a Corvette and her first response was, i'm not old enough. She went straight to the internet and told me the average age of a Corvette owner. Sorry to you Corvette die hard's but I've never liked the looks of the Corvette before, but this one I had to have. And so I bought my 2015 Corvette and even now my younger wife loves it. This is the best looking car out there for under 100k and I'm am loving everything about it.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Chevrolet was trying to lower the median age of the owner from retired people, to include those who are still working, buying Porsches, BMW's etc. They never meant to capture the 30 year old. At the most, they wanted to "get into the mix" of sports car buyers - those that would not even look at a vette before the C7.

I think they succeeded in that initiative. Porsche just had their dealer convention and the president of Porsche spent 5 min going thru sales figures for 2013 and showed how well the C7 did. His comment was:

"if you have sales guys knocking the Vette that customers might mention, get them to stop, because the Vette is a real player now"
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm happy to hear some younger drivers are engaged but I think the price will still make the car prohibitive to many younger buyers. I'm not advocating lowering the price - I think it's just the way things are. Much like a Harley - many younger riders might desire a Harley but they just can't afford it. I honestly doubt they'll pull substantial buyers away from Porsche - the brands have totally different images and markets. Reminds me of the early-mid 1980's - I was riding Japanese sport bikes then. MANY bikes were marketed with a displacement of 750cc - around 1983 or 1984 that changed to 700cc. This was done because Harley Davidson (might have been AMF then) convinced the government to impose a substantial tariff on imported bikes 750cc or larger to "force" consumers to consider a Harley instead. To my knowledge that activity had little to do with market change - again, totally different clients. Corvette vs. Porsche is much the same - PLUS - I don't want to drive a Boxster - that's a woman's car!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Has the C7 attracted more younger buyers and those that would not have considered Corvettes before? - YES!

Has the owner stereotype changed? - NO, not yet. It will take a long time for the owner stereotype to change.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Lauren84
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Daemek
My answer to this question is yes. I'm 30 years old. I saw this car in the Captain America 2 movie and didn't know what it was in the brief screen shot. I soon found out it was a Corvette and I wanted one. Told my wife, I was gonna buy a Corvette and her first response was, i'm not old enough. She went straight to the internet and told me the average age of a Corvette owner. Sorry to you Corvette die hard's but I've never liked the looks of the Corvette before, but this one I had to have. And so I bought my 2015 Corvette and even now my younger wife loves it. This is the best looking car out there for under 100k and I'm am loving everything about it.
^^^ Same here... I am 30 too and I have never considered purchasing a vette in my life. I had always been into quick Japanese and German cars and my next car was going to be a Cayman S or M4 more likely untill I saw the vette. The styling, power, and fun factor to value ratio was through the roof.

Been loving my Stingray for over 7 months!!! It's staying with me for a lonnnggg time!!!

Last edited by Lauren84; 11-24-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,480 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

There will always be a unique demographic that purchases 2-seat sportscars. Historically, Corvette owners tend to trade up into new models after purchasing their first Corvette around age 40. That's probably why the average age of the Corvette owner is so much higher than other performance cars. However you really can't compare other rear seat coupes with the Corvette and that's what many articles incorrectly do.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

The following is from the 2014 Corvette Stingray Interactive Details Book intended for dealers only:

"Corvette Loyalists. They stick with Corvette as their model of choice
for a sports car and would not consider choosing a competitor over
Corvette. The second buyer is a conquest target we refer to as Life
Precisionist. This is a buyer who is younger, more affluent and more
professionally minded than the Corvette Loyalist. This conquest target
has not been attracted to Corvette models in the past. However, changes
to the Corvette Stingray in a variety of areas including luxury materials,
performance enhancements, connectivity and overall style have made
this group ready to consider a change to Chevrolet.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray is meant to appeal to both types of buyer.
Corvette Stingray’s looks, performance capability and reputation have
never been better. Corvette Loyalists will see this as the best Corvette
ever. The conquest customer will see the all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray
model as more than a refresh of the existing platform. Enthusiast
magazines, blogs and newspapers tout the significantly improved
capabilities of the new Corvette Stingray as well as superior fit-and finish,
connectivity and, most important…cachet. Potential buyers who
look to the new Corvette Stingray will see a sports car that can compete
with the best from Europe and Japan—regardless of price."

CORVETTE LOYALIST
• 72% Buyers 55+
• 55% College Graduate
• 58% Urban/Suburban
• 11% Mid-Level Manager
• $133,000 Household Income
• Tend to Buy –Fulfillment of a Dream

CORVETTE CONQUEST
• 45% Buyers 55+
• 81% College Graduate
• 69% Urban/Suburban
• 58% Professionals, Business Owners, Senior Execs
• $257,000 Household Income
• Often Lease – Another Perk
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Buicks and Caddys had somewhat of a similar image issue as being older persons cars without the man image. I think GM has succeeded with Caddy to a large degree with its SUV and CTS/ATS line. Buick is a little behind but the current campaign of is "that a Buick" commercials seem to be focused on image.

I can't remember seeing a commercial for the C7 other than the video recorder/valet mode commercial. I guess they are relying on lines and looks and a very upgraded interior to attract a new demographic.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

32 (31 when ordered/purchased) and this is my first American car. Never before the C7 did I even consider the Corvette. I was previously a turbocharged AWD import guy.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
The following is from the 2014 Corvette Stingray Interactive Details Book intended for dealers only:

"Corvette Loyalists. They stick with Corvette as their model of choice
for a sports car and would not consider choosing a competitor over
Corvette. The second buyer is a conquest target we refer to as Life
Precisionist. This is a buyer who is younger, more affluent and more
professionally minded than the Corvette Loyalist. This conquest target
has not been attracted to Corvette models in the past. However, changes
to the Corvette Stingray in a variety of areas including luxury materials,
performance enhancements, connectivity and overall style have made
this group ready to consider a change to Chevrolet.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray is meant to appeal to both types of buyer.
Corvette Stingray’s looks, performance capability and reputation have
never been better. Corvette Loyalists will see this as the best Corvette
ever. The conquest customer will see the all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray
model as more than a refresh of the existing platform. Enthusiast
magazines, blogs and newspapers tout the significantly improved
capabilities of the new Corvette Stingray as well as superior fit-and finish,
connectivity and, most important…cachet. Potential buyers who
look to the new Corvette Stingray will see a sports car that can compete
with the best from Europe and Japan—regardless of price."

CORVETTE LOYALIST
• 72% Buyers 55+
• 55% College Graduate
• 58% Urban/Suburban
• 11% Mid-Level Manager

CORVETTE CONQUEST
• 45% Buyers 55+
• 81% College Graduate
• 69% Urban/Suburban
Guess I'm more of a Conquest than a Loyalist (although I did own a C6 for 6 years).
Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

In my 40's.

Bought a 2015 Z51 instead of a M3/M4... or a Hellcat... or a new Mustang... Was interested in a vette before - C6 GS or a used Z06 - but just never worked out. At this point, glad it didn't. I love my C7 looks and performance.

I wanted C7 for the performance of the C7 but, yes, I have taken some grief on getting a vette versus something else based on the vettes general reputation. I am happy that the reputation has improved based on the C7 introduction. I can say that once people see the car, their view changes very quickly too!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
thegame9377
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32 and bought a 2015 after comparison shopping to the Cayman S.

I did buy a C6 Vette at 29, though. I wouldn't consider myself a brand of loyalists, because I did consider other sports cars when I went to buy a new one this year. I just found the new c7 offered much more for the same price as its competitors.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I have no idea what I am then.

Brand new C5 (99) when I was 28ish.
Second brand new C5 (01) when I was 30ish.
Brand new C6 (09) when I was 38ish.
Next will be a brand new Z06 (16), I suspect when I am 45.

I never thought about or gave a damn about some Corvette stereotype.

Last edited by C5North; 11-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM
213 Z06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lgodom

CORVETTE LOYALIST
• 72% Buyers 55+
• 55% College Graduate
• 58% Urban/Suburban
• 11% Mid-Level Manager

CORVETTE CONQUEST
• 45% Buyers 55+
• 81% College Graduate
• 69% Urban/Suburban
Fascinating statistics

Surprising stat on the college grad % when considered with the $133k household income. Must be a lot of business owners in the mix.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mksz51
Guess I'm more of a Conquest than a Loyalist (although I did own a C6 for 6 years).
Same here although I only owned my C6 for 3 years.

It's great to see a younger demographic buying them, although as Zymurgy said it will take a long time to change the stereotype.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 PM
CashMoneyShades
Intermediate

I had set out to buy a Cayman S, until I saw the C7 I ended up buying on a lot by happenstance. Never considered a Corvette before, but fell in love with the styling, performance, and features in the C7. I love everything about this car now.

I'm 26.

Get notified of new replies

To How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:51 PM
taxman73
Instructor

Has the target market slightly shifted - yes. I am 27 years old and love my 2015 Z51 C7 Stingray.

Has the stereotype changed... No. I have had a handful of friends say "oh does it come with a mullet?" to it's still "not the class of a driver that would own an M3 / Porsche that costs the same price".
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I'm 30 and a C3 was my first car. I don't think it's changed the stereotype but a lot of people (including myself) who were looking at German cars are beginning to consider the Vette as a viable option. Personally, before the C7, I had told myself I'd never own another American car as the overall build quality just wasn't up to snuff with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

The C7 is the first generation Corvette I truly loved. I'm 41 and have. '15 Z51 M7. I had always owned Acura's and Audi's before. I've also noticed on different "hip" shows younger people than me driving them. For instance, on Ray Donovan, there was an 18 year old(ish) rapper driving driving a new Red Vette. The stereotype is definitely changing.

Quick Reply: How has the C7 changed the stereotype of Corvette ownership?