Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memory seats don’t respond when car is cold

Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Memory seats don’t respond when car is cold

I have a 2015 2LT and this is my first experience with memory seats. Since the season has turned to Winter temperatures, when I get in a cold car and either hit the Start button or crank the car the memory seat will not move to the driving position. I push my # button on the door the steering wheel will only move when I repeat pushing the button. Finally after pushing the button several times the seats and wheel move to the correct position. What should I do to correct this?
I have also noticed some minor display problems with the information system. These issues do not happen regularly to take it in to have serviced.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:20 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I have a 2015 2LT and this is my first experience with memory seats. Since the season has turned to Winter temperatures, when I get in a cold car and either hit the Start button or crank the car the memory seat will not move to the driving position. I push my # button on the door the steering wheel will only move when I repeat pushing the button. Finally after pushing the button several times the seats and wheel move to the correct position. What should I do to correct this?
I have also noticed some minor display problems with the information system. These issues do not happen regularly to take it in to have serviced.
I have noticed on my 2014 that you have to hold the button in until the adjustments stop.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:43 AM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Have the same issue on my 2015 2LT off & on, not all the time.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Stephen Nelson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory problems

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
After a year, I finally convinced the dealer that my memory function is erratic. It has nothing to do with weather. I never know what to expect when I get in. The software updates added a feature and made my heated seats work quite well but the erratic memory function is still there. I will be taking it in to be fixed in January.
I also have a problem with traction control. The system will pulse the brakes but does not take any control of the throttle. They have confirmed and also promised to fix this when I bring it back.
My TC light came on once but it didn't store a code so it was a little harder convincing them that it didn't work.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I have noticed on my 2014 that you have to hold the button in until the adjustments stop.
You have an early VIN M7 and haven't had the reflash done?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:50 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If you are like me, my memory seats were set for fob #1 but I grab either fob when going for a drive as its just a bunch of key fobs in a small container so I don't always end up with fob #1. We don't have the cold weather here in Az to deal with!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm following another Thread about Memory issues. I'll try to move my exit position up about a 1/2 inch and do a entire reset. It has to do with electronics being cold, 45F does it, makes the Seat Memory do strange things.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:15 PM
BobAZ
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your seat memory problem resolve itself?

I have a 2015 3LT and have the "easy exit" setting programmed, but the problem is that more often than not, the seat memory does not work right away. I have tried switching from "on ignition" to "on door open" in the settings, but that doesn't seem to work either. I don't have great confidence that the dealer could cure such a fickle issue with the electronics.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:43 PM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts

i don't know if this will help. I have a '14 2LT M7. The memory works fine if my park-brake is on. If not I have to hold the memory button in.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the exact symptoms as the OP but it does not seem have anything to do with temperature. It might work 5 or 6 times in a row correctly then for no apparent reason it doesn't work correctly. Sometimes it will not work correctly 2 or 3 times in a row, then start working correctly again.

I have a 2015 Z06 A8.

Last edited by Jim Shearer; 05-10-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added vehicle info
Old 05-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My 2006 C6 was like that. Worked about 40% of the time completely at random. I took it to the dealer a gazillion times for it and they never could fix it.

I gave up and ordered my C7 without that feature and just move the seat up and back by hand, since I was used to doing it in the C6 anyway.

My unsubstantiated opinion is a short in the seat wiring harness, but it could be the sensor or something else. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

If your exit position has the seat all the way back, so that the seatback is touching the carpet behind it, the automatic memory adjustment won't work correctly. Make sure your exit position is far enough forward there's a little bit of space between the seat back and carpet behind the seat. There's a limit switch there, and if the switch is pressed it messes up the memory function.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meyerweb
If your exit position has the seat all the way back, so that the seatback is touching the carpet behind it, the automatic memory adjustment won't work correctly. Make sure your exit position is far enough forward there's a little bit of space between the seat back and carpet behind the seat. There's a limit switch there, and if the switch is pressed it messes up the memory function.
That is the most lame design part of the C7. Any electronics should NOT have been put behind the seats that limit how far back they are allowed to go back. I am a mechanical engineer, not an automotive engineer, and I think I could have designed something better. The person who came up with this would have been fired at my company!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
That is the most lame design part of the C7. Any electronics should NOT have been put behind the seats that limit how far back they are allowed to go back. I am a mechanical engineer, not an automotive engineer, and I think I could have designed something better. The person who came up with this would have been fired at my company!
So it would make more sense to just let the owner continue to press the seat adjustment after the seat hits the rear wall, until the motor burns out? Preventing that is what the limit switch behind the seat is for. And that's good engineering.

What's stupid engineering is disabling the entire seat memory function when the limit switch is triggered. It should still allow forward movement to the pre-programmed settings.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

What's stupid engineering is disabling the entire seat memory function when the limit switch is triggered. It should still allow forward movement to the pre-programmed settings.
My understanding is it does allow you to move forward using the manual switch when up against the stop. I have my exit position set by putting the seat all the way back, then moving it forward ~1/2 inch before hitting the memory set buttons. Never have a problem. For my exit position I have it move back and up as high as possible (no limit switch on up and down it just stops, assume the have an electrical load limiter.)
What is "stupid" with a standard shift C7 is 1) when set at automatic recall the seat moves to the programed position as soon as you open the door and 2) the fact that you have to keep the memory button depressed unless the car is started. The later item is a "Catch 22" if you must have the seat forward to fully depress the car to start! The additional software option they provided in late 2014 requires hitting the start button twice instead of just making it like the C6, which was "hit the memory button momentarily and even with the engine off the seat and steering wheel went to the programed position."

Last edited by JerryU; 05-16-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

So it would make more sense to just let the owner continue to press the seat adjustment after the seat hits the rear wall, until the motor burns out? Preventing that is what the limit switch behind the seat is for. And that's good engineering.
I disagree. I have had cars with electric seats for decades and never burned out a motor.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 AM
LrgZ51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree. I have had cars with electric seats for decades and never burned out a motor.
It may have more to do with saving the battery, the motors are probably individually current limited.
The memory function in my AMG worked great (except reverse mirror down) but the control box had a critical failure mode where the memory and movement still worked fine, but once it failed it would literally drain even a new battery overnight.

Get notified of new replies

To Memory seats don’t respond when car is cold

Old 05-16-2015, 11:32 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerryU
My understanding is it does allow you to move forward using the manual switch when up against the stop.
Yes, but it won't automatically move forward to the pre-programmed setting, which is dumb, because there's no possible harm that could come from that.

What is "stupid" with a standard shift C7 is 1) when set at automatic recall the seat moves to the programed position as soon as you open the door
That is configurable. Mine doesn't move forward until I press the start button.

2) the fact that you have to keep the memory button depressed unless the car is started. The later item is a "Catch 22" if you must have the seat forward to fully depress the car to start! The additional software option they provided in late 2014 requires hitting the start button twice instead of just making it like the C6, which was "hit the memory button momentarily and even with the engine off the seat and steering wheel went to the programed position."
Partly agree, but on my 2015 MT you don't have to start the car to get the seat to move. Close the door and press the start button and the seat moves to the memorized position. Then you can depress the clutch to start the car. That's not really any different than pressing the "1" button, then depressing the clutch and starting the car. Two button presses either way. But I agree that just pressing the memory button should move the seat to that position without having to hold it. That's how it works in my wife's Honda.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

But not all car buyers are as smart as you.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

Partly agree, but on my 2015 MT you don't have to start the car to get the seat to move. Close the door and press the start button and the seat moves to the memorized position. Then you can depress the clutch to start the car. That's not really any different than pressing the "1" button, then depressing the clutch and starting the car. Two button presses either way. But I agree that just pressing the memory button should move the seat to that position without having to hold it. That's how it works in my wife's Honda.
My C6 worked like your wife's Honda. My method, which I have used since October 2013 when I got the C7, is quicker! I grab my seat belt with my right hand and move it over to buckle (easier to reach the seat belt buckle from the seat exit position) and simultaneously push my memory button with a finger on my left hand as the seat is moving forward! Don't first have to use my right hand to push the start button.
Both methods require depressing the clutch and start button before the car will start. Just think if GM was going to add a program option (they don't call it a fix,) which they finally did in late 2014 they could have just copied the C6!
Have not heard a good rational why anyone would want the seat to return to the memorized position of the key fob when you open the door. Still think they outsourced the M7 seat software to someone overseas who didn't drive a car!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-16-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Memory seats don’t respond when car is cold