Sponsored by:

A small dilemma (C7 vs BMW)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default A small dilemma (C7 vs BMW)

I honestly can't believe I'm writing this....but here goes. I'm not baiting anyone or looking to start a Corvette vs BMW war of words. I've been a Corvette owner since I was 21 yrs old (many, many decades ago)... I love them, but after taking a look at the M4 and 5 series....I would like to hear from previous owners of both. Thanks..

I was planning on ordering a '15 C7 the end of this month... Took wife over to see it....she wasn't a big fan of the small cockpit and limited visibility. She currently has a C5.

As we were leaving we decided to go look at the BMW M4.

We sat in the M4 and she liked it. Then I let her sit in a 535i and a 550i..... She absolutely loved the 5 series....and I have to agree....it was very nice. Interior, ergonomics and infotainment system were exceptional. However, it's a completely different car than the C7...but impressive by any standard. We are going to test drive all of them next weekend---if weather doesn't get bad. Unfortunately, dealer won't allow us to test drive C7. So it will be difficult to compare.....

My question(s) are to the previous BMW owners who are now C7 owners also.... Can you give me your perceptions and impressions on both vehicles? Thanks...
Old 01-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No choice

Originally Posted by WesC5
I honestly can't believe I'm writing this....but here goes. I'm not baiting anyone or looking to start a Corvette vs BMW war of words. I've been a Corvette owner since I was 21 yrs old (many, many decades ago)... I love them, but after taking a look at the M4 and 5 series....I would like to hear from previous owners of both. Thanks..

I was planning on ordering a '15 C7 the end of this month... Took wife over to see it....she wasn't a big fan of the small cockpit and limited visibility. She currently has a C5.

We sat in the M4 and she liked it. Then I let her sit in a 535i and a 550i..... She absolutely loved the 5 series....and I have to agree....it was very nice. Interior, ergonomics and infotainment system were exceptional. However, it's a completely different car than the C7...but impressive by any standard. We are going to test drive all of them next weekend---if weather doesn't get bad. Unfortunately, dealer won't allow us to test drive C7. So it will be difficult to compare.....

My question(s) are to the previous BMW owners who are now C7 owners also.... Can you give me your perceptions and impressions on both vehicles? Thanks...
If wife likes the BMW the decision has already been made.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well if car is for her to drive, why not let her decide what to drive.

Personally BMW's are not on my radar at all so no opinion that way.

But seriously if its for her then your question is moot dude.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:35 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

The question really is: do you want a sporty coupe or a sports car?

There 2 entirely different vehicles. Here's something that might help:
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I had a 5-Series BMW, which I really liked. But it nickeled and dimed me to death on repairs. And, for some reason, I have two friends with BMW's that in the shop for HUGE repairs...multiple thousands of dollars in transmission bills for them.

With BMW, been there, done that-not going back. I owned a BMW when people would say, "Oh wow, you own a BMW!" Now people say, "There goes another BMW."

Not that I need that nuance, but they don't stand out anymore (to me). And I cringe whenever I hear about repair bills from the Bavarians.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:50 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

My wife has had 2 BMWs 2009 AND A 2012 335i Just traded for a new 15 MB GLA250. I have had 2 BMWs 650i and M6 Loved both the 6 series, Not really the 3 series. Never drove the new 4 series but sat in one, For me I would buy the C7 over the BMW unless maybe a M6, But that would be a lot f $$$ difference. Like said above if for wife then case closed..lol.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:13 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Great u-tube vid! Had to make this choice too; took the Vette.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well i drive a 2012 (F10) 550ix, and obviously have a C7. Since you live in IL, only way i'd get a C7 as a DD was if i lived south but to each there own. The 550 is a rocket, feels very tank like, and you get AWD to boot which basically makes it a great DD.

You really can't compare them - about the only similarity IMO is they have a steering wheel and 4 tires

Aceman
Old 01-03-2015, 04:30 PM
C6Brain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Aceman- two different cars.
Just sold an 2012 E92 M3 to make room for the C7. Have a 2014 335 GT as a daily commuter.
As such, would ask yourself what you intend to use the car for. If it is meant to be a daily commuter in which you may rack up some miles, the BMW is a better choice. If it is a Sunday driver/garage queen, the Corvette is the answer.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I cross shopped the M4 with my C7 and bought the C7. Anyone saying the C7 is not a good daily driven car is, well, crotchety. Of course you need a second car for some duties but I daily my C7 and love it. The M4 feels sterile, the Germans make some good cars but the M4 just felt numb under my hands. Id take a C63 over an M4 any day of the week if I felt that I needed a sporty coupe made by Germans. The C7 is in a class of automobiles that includes the Porsche 911, Nissan GTR, and even some exotics. The M4 is a grocery getter on steroids. BMW M cars are not what they used to be and in my opinion just another car on the road.

Now if you are buying this car for your wife then she will make the decision on what she wants. If she feels like the interior is cramped then she doesnt get what a sports car is about. You are supposed to feel like you are part of the car with everything close to hand. I'm 6'4 280lbs and the cabin is tight but not uncomfortable. Its lile slipping into a perfectly fit pair of pants for me and I wouldnt trade my C7 for a sport coupe...ever. Ive been looking at a 4 door car for my wife and think the new Maserati Ghibli Q4 S would be a nice car to accompany my C7 in the garage, yeah an M3 would beat it at a race track but parked side by side the Ghibli is a stunner and the interior is on a different level than the M series cars.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I've had 3 BMWs-a 95 540, a 2000 M roadster and a 2009 535 and I consider them great cars to drive but not very reliable, always something to address. The 95 when it hit 60K basically fell apart and the 09 had a known problem which caused the engine to run on low power on 3 different occasions. The M roadster was a low mileage toy with no problems which I gave up when the lease was over. My new toy will be the C7 gave no thought to anything else.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a 2013 535i and never adjusted to it. The executive seating was too hard for my butt and the "I Drive" was very confusing, too many submenus. The nav was not "touch screen", the auto start stop was on by default and the engine would shut off at red lights, and the radio buttons weren't just for the radio, they were programmed to the "I Drive" and the drivers fob. The turbo spool up lag was very noticeable too. An aftermarket programmer could have fixed a lot of my issues but BMW wouldn't do it, said it was a safety issue. I kept it for one year and tried to trade for an M4 that had just come out but there wasn't enough Vaseline in town for that to happen. Sorry for the long rant.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

IMHO, If it's a DD and it's the only car you will have, the BMW wins hand's down. No way on earth would I have any Vette as my only transportation...it's simply not adaptable to all my needs.

HOWEVER, if this is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, the C7 is better than the Beamer.

I pretty much only buy Mercedes and Corvettes now. We have a GL-450 SUV for the wife and it is fantastic. I had a E-350 but traded it on the C7. Now, I miss not having my MB, so will probably pick up another E or C class. Hate the new 4-bangers in both BMW and Mercedes however.

Also, back in 2000 I had a new 323i that I liked, but eventually could not live with such a weak engine and it was traded for my first Corvette, a 2003 Coupe. I thought the BMW as great, but I can tell you, I have never had a car with so many recalls in my life!

Last edited by Mr Snappy!; 01-03-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got tired of the loud, rough nature of my C6 and traded it for a 12' 335xi. Loved how refined and smooth it was. Fit and finish was worlds better.

Then..... It got boring. I HAD to have a Vette again. If it was my daily driver I'd pick the BMW. Weekend/Fun car... Vette all the way.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:01 PM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished getting rid of a 3 series BMW and all I can say is thank you car gods. It would take a special kind of crazy and car buying ignorance that would ever convince me to become a BMW owner ever again. They are nice looking cars, sleek, and that's about it.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
IMHO, If it's a DD and it's the only car you will have, the BMW wins hand's down. No way on earth would I have any Vette as my only transportation...it's simply not adaptable to all my needs.

HOWEVER, if this is a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, the C7 is better than the Beamer.

I pretty much only buy Mercedes and Corvettes now. We have a GL-450 SUV for the wife and it is fantastic. I had a E-350 but traded it on the C7. Now, I miss not having my MB, so will probably pick up another E or C class. Hate the new 4-bangers in both BMW and Mercedes however.

Also, back in 2000 I had a new 323i that I liked, but eventually could not live with such a weak engine and it was traded for my first Corvette, a 2003 Coupe. I thought the BMW as great, but I can tell you, I have never had a car with so many recalls in my life!
Just sold our C300 M-B. I think the latest requires a bump up in C class to get the V6. Turbo 4 on BMW impressed for the size.

OP has my PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha ha. I went through the same dilemma. Very happy to realize I am not alone. The dealership(s) made the decision for me. BMW: disinterested, ambivalent, distant. Chevrolet (Corvette): engaged, accommodating, appealing. The BMW dealer made it hard to buy a car. The Corvette team made it hard to NOT buy one. Easy decision.

Get notified of new replies

To A small dilemma (C7 vs BMW)

Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by WesC5

Here’s a great solution! You get the Vette and get her a BMW X5 XDrive35i! While you’re at it build a ProStreet Rod to bring to car shows so you don’t have to be so fussy caring for your DD!
I love the C7, wife loves the SUV (I like it also for trips, sits nice and high and handles great!)

Get Both Vette and BMW! Why Not a ProStreet Rod as Well!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

See if she can wait and get a '16 CTS-v. Best of both worlds
Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I bought a 2013 535i and never adjusted to it. The executive seating was too hard for my butt and the "I Drive" was very confusing, too many submenus. The nav was not "touch screen", the auto start stop was on by default and the engine would shut off at red lights, and the radio buttons weren't just for the radio, they were programmed to the "I Drive" and the drivers fob. The turbo spool up lag was very noticeable too. An aftermarket programmer could have fixed a lot of my issues but BMW wouldn't do it, said it was a safety issue. I kept it for one year and tried to trade for an M4 that had just come out but there wasn't enough Vaseline in town for that to happen. Sorry for the long rant.
i agree with your assessment. the seats in the BMW are just too hard for my taste. i know they wear so little they look like they could stay in that new condition forever but i'd rather had a CTS V any day of the week. i've driven several late model 5 series and 3 series anyone that drives a new CTS V should admit the mag ride and power delivery of that car destroys anything BMW offers (we are in a corvette forum so sorry for the one sided brute force approach compared to the "hair dryer" loving BMW powertrain fans lol)

Quick Reply: A small dilemma (C7 vs BMW)