Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She didn't melt.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 AM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone tried the Michelin PA4 winter tires?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:51 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I wanna see...CHAINS ON THEM TIRES!!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by mksz51
I'm happy you're happy but I'm sure glad it isn't my Corvette in those conditions.
Mine hasn't been out of the garage since late November. But good to see you enjoying your car Jerry despite whatever Mother Nature throws at it.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I think the warranty includes 7 year rust through protection.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I may be the only one on here that feels this way but: what is the joy of driving a high performance car at a very low performance level in the snow? Is it just to say you did?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Cattch
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I love posts like this!

I plan to drive my C7 in all weather conditions. Its a car... a beautiful car at that, but still a car! They are made to be driven. Some will argue, kick and scream saying the car is a sports car and only for nice weather. To them I am jealous in the spring when they have that "new car feeling" pulling their car out for the first time, but Id rather have that fun sports car feeling all year long
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
you should have rinsed them with a spray bottle after every use....also, powder coating is very resistant to corrosion due to it's cohesive properties....sounds like yours were uncoated calipers, no?
Or even easier.

Find a touchless car wash that also sprays underneath.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I may be the only one on here that feels this way but: what is the joy of driving a high performance car at a very low performance level in the snow? Is it just to say you did?
Because its fun.

Because its a car. And cars were meant to be driven.

Because with the right tires. The Vette can be a true daily driver and driven all year round.

Because you might only own one car.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It's a car. Saving it for the next owner is dumb IMO. I doubt anyone on their deathbed ever uttered the words "I wish I'd driven my Corvette less."
Old 01-06-2015, 03:44 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't advocate driving a Corvette in the snow, but it has plenty of enjoyable performance driving on cold (dry) pavement when equipped with the proper tires.

Oh, and as mentioned, the cold air going into the intake yields even more power out of the engine.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzman
Anyone tried the Michelin PA4 winter tires?
couple guys have them on the forum, but the price killed the deal for me ($1600 just for the tires)....main reason I went with the Pirellis (equal performance)...$1000 out the door including sensors, and the tires will sell well if I ever unload the vette....will be lucky if I put even 500 miles on them per winter.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Because its fun.

Because with the right tires. The Vette can be a true daily driver and driven all year round.

Because you might only own one car.
That's good thinking...let me add, what a lot of folks don't realize is in the winter on snowy roads you can get the same thrill of throwing the rear end out with true snow tires, and do it at a much safer speed....this feature is an absolute blast and you will feel safer than doing it at high speed on a road coarse in the warmer months....it's a bonus that comes with winter driving.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

It's a car first and fore most. It is my daily driver. I grew up in the metro Chicago area and I drove the '62 year round. Snow or not. Same with every other Corvette I've owned. I for one can't justify buying a car that can't be driven year round.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Because its fun.
Because with the right tires. The Vette can be a true daily driver and driven all year round. Because you might only own one car.
Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's a car. Saving it for the next owner is dumb IMO. I doubt anyone on their deathbed ever uttered the words "I wish I'd driven my Corvette less."
Neither answer my question of - what is the joy of driving it in the snow? I am not criticizing people who do, or for whom it is their only car - I am just trying to understand why it would enjoyable (as in is it really enjoyable in any car?)
Originally Posted by RickMN
I don't advocate driving a Corvette in the snow, but it has plenty of enjoyable performance driving on cold (dry) pavement when equipped with the proper tires. Oh, and as mentioned, the cold air going into the intake yields even more power out of the engine.
No issue with using it in the cold - I understand that - mine was out for its last time on Saturday in 36 degree weather (today we got our first snow and plenty of road salt)
Originally Posted by MikeyTX
It's a car first and fore most. It is my daily driver. I grew up in the metro Chicago area and I drove the '62 year round. Snow or not. Same with every other Corvette I've owned. I for one can't justify buying a car that can't be driven year round.
You live in Texas - it snows how often?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither answer my question of - what is the joy of driving it in the snow? I am not criticizing people who do, or for whom it is their only car - I am just trying to understand why it would enjoyable (as in is it really enjoyable in any car?)
Because race car, I don't know.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

No issue with using it in the cold - I understand that - mine was out for its last time on Saturday in 36 degree weather (today we got our first snow and plenty of road salt)

You live in Texas - it snows how often?
Actually, it snows quite often in TX. As for being enjoyable, did you never pull a saucer behind a car or cut donuts in a vacant parking lot after it snowed ? We used to pull people on skis too. Then there's ice racing.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Actually, it snows quite often in TX. As for being enjoyable, did you never pull a saucer behind a car or cut donuts in a vacant parking lot after it snowed ? We used to pull people on skis too. Then there's ice racing.
I guess the whole snow and snow driving experience in urban areas (like in and around NYC) is very different from where you live?

Get notified of new replies

To She didn't melt.....

Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

I guess the whole snow and snow driving experience in urban areas (like in and around NYC) is very different from where you live?
I guess you missed this above....

what a lot of folks don't realize is in the winter on snowy roads you can get the same thrill of throwing the rear end out with true snow tires, and do it at a much safer speed....this feature is an absolute blast and you will feel safer than doing it at high speed on a road coarse in the warmer months....it's a bonus that comes with winter driving.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

If you live in snow country and haven't done fun things in a car on snow, then you aren't driving. Your responses even are starting to make me wonder if you are old enough to drive let alone own a Corvette.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

If you live in snow country and haven't done fun things in a car on snow, then you aren't driving. Your responses even are starting to make me wonder if you are old enough to drive let alone own a Corvette.

Quick Reply: She didn't melt.....