C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No hacks to make the PDR come on at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts
Default No hacks to make the PDR come on at start up?

I wish the PDR would come on every time I started the car. Seems stupid to have a dash cam that you must remember to turn on. I do realize it's way more then a dash cam but in normal situations it could be of great value when someone does something stupid. Really should be some sort of option that lets the cam part come on all the time.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I wish the PDR would come on every time I started the car. Seems stupid to have a dash cam that you must remember to turn on. I do realize it's way more then a dash cam but in normal situations it could be of great value when someone does something stupid. Really should be some sort of option that lets the cam part come on all the time.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:57 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I wish there was too but GM did not build it as a everyday "Dashcam"

It's a PDR - Performance Data Recorder. Made for track events.

I have a Blackvue dash camera for my everyday driving.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I always remember to turn it on after someone does something stupid in front of me, never before. I too wish it could start when the car is started.

There have been many things that were designed for a specific task that have been morphed into a different function. This should be one.

I'm willing to bet only 2-5% will use it on the track, when 95-98% could be using it as a dash cam???
Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HighTeq
I always remember to turn it on after someone does something stupid in front of me, never before. I too wish it could start when the car is started.

There have been many things that were designed for a specific task that have been morphed into a different function. This should be one.

I'm willing to bet only 2-5% will use it on the track, when 95-98% could be using it as a dash cam???
Exactly, and buying redundant equipment just because of a software issue is not the right answer. I don't want another thing in my windshield when I already have the equipment.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Exactly, and buying redundant equipment just because of a software issue is not the right answer. I don't want another thing in my windshield when I already have the equipment.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM
BIC
Pro

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I wish there was too but GM did not build it as a everyday "Dashcam"
Maybe...but they built the valet function into it, I'm sure a simple software upgrade could make it usable as an always on dashcam with a simple selectable function in the DIC. For a $1000 option, forced on people who only want the Navigation for $800, this should be a no-brainer fix ($1800 for Nav & PDR together). I sent a PM to Chevy Customer Service to follow up on this thread.

Last edited by BIC; 01-06-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BIC
Maybe...but they built the valet function into it, I'm sure a simple software upgrade could make it usable as an always on dashcam with a simple selectable function in the DIC. For a $1000 option, forced on people who only want the Navigation for $800, this should be a no-brainer fix ($1800 for Nav & PDR together). I sent a PM to Chevy Customer Service to follow up on this thread.
It would be great if the updated it to do so. The pdr was the only option on the car that I bought that I really didn't want. Now that it's there I'd love to make it useful.

I'm also a member of a focus ST forum as that's my around town car. The guys there are amazing as far as hacking into functions in the car and the ability to change things.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:49 PM
0v3rc10ck3d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love this feature as well.... i think valet mode does this though? Maybe leave it in Valet mode? (which doesnt limit speed / rpm?...and should)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:16 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Originally Posted by 0v3rc10ck3d
I'd love this feature as well.... i think valet mode does this though? Maybe leave it in Valet mode? (which doesnt limit speed / rpm?...and should)
No tunes then...
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM
0v3rc10ck3d
Racer

No tunes then...
Ah, haven't gotten an SD card yet to test it out myself. Doesn't limit speed / rpm but it does limit the stereo? lol....Someone designed this thing backwards.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I suggested the idea to the lead engineer for the PDR at a NCM event in August. He said they never really considered it during development. He also mentioned they were already walking a thin line with the Valet Mode recording. I suggested making it an option to continuously record and not making it mandatory. He seemed to accept the suggestion for consideration. Subsequently, we know the controversy with the PDR Valet Mode, so the option may never come to fruition.

I added the PDR button to the favorites at the top of the screen so I can access it quickly and start recording each time I drive.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Originally Posted by abrimberry
I suggested the idea to the lead engineer for the PDR at a NCM event in August. He said they never really considered it during development. He also mentioned they were already walking a thin line with the Valet Mode recording. I suggested making it an option to continuously record and not making it mandatory. He seemed to accept the suggestion for consideration. Subsequently, we know the controversy with the PDR Valet Mode, so the option may never come to fruition.

I added the PDR button to the favorites at the top of the screen so I can access it quickly and start recording each time I drive.
Easy to do?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:55 PM
0v3rc10ck3d
Racer

Easy to do?
Press and hold a button until it starts flopping around then drag it (just like a phone)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Thx, went straight to search after my post. Just found it it.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by abrimberry

I don't think it would be an issue if they didn't record audio for this option, only the dash cam. I did the PDR button to the favorites as well but it's still multiple steps to start it and just keep forgetting to do so. Also I don't see anywhere that shows your recording after you go back to music so I'm always thinking "did I or didn't I start that"
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM
BIC
Pro

I sent Customer Service the following "official" suggestion. Feel free to send it to them again or something different:

To sum up the various complaints of Corvette Forum members regarding the Performance Data Recorder (PDR):

1. If a 2015 buyer wants only GPS navigation ($800 in 2014), he/she is forced to pay an additional $1,000 for the PDR that few want.

2. It is likely that less than 5% of those buyers will actually use the PDR on the track it was primarily designed for. But, Chevy does offer a Touring Mode, which acts as a "dashcam" as well as a Valet Mode. Unfortunately, the usability of the Touring Mode is somewhat less than a $100 dashcam.

3. To start the PDR, requires several menu steps that must be used every time the car is started. This is both inconvenient and unnecessary. For $1,000, there should be more useability from this device which could easily be accomplished through firmware/software updates.

Suggestions/recommendations:

1. A one-button Touring Mode on/off button on the infotainment home screen.

2. Allow the ability to leave the Touring Mode on at all times without having to manually restart the PDR upon every car start.

3. In Touring Mode, allow the ability to disable audio and data recording as most $100 dashcams allow.

4. Confirmation at a glance that the PDR is recording.

5. Add a Dashcam Mode.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (12-20-2016)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
I sent Customer Service the following "official" suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To No hacks to make the PDR come on at start up?

Quick Reply: No hacks to make the PDR come on at start up?