C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Flagging Forum Members - Who Wants This Option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Not me.

I honestly can't believe you're even serious proposing to let members "black flag" other members. Anybody that's so thin skinned to let people you don't know bother you that much - or even enough to need the Ignore feature - probably shouldn't be on the internet.
Absolutely no need for a feature like black flagging here. Just ignore the offending members and enjoy the forum.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

No need to let certain posters become personal. Heck try reading some of the comments on yahoo articles, they can be worst than the forums. NO to black flagging.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't agree that members should Black Flag members. Just hit ignore and chill out. This is one of the most tame forums out there. In fact, there is a lot of talk that the mods here are too militant about policing what is said. I have no issues with the way things are run here for the most part.

My only minor gripe is if you are a vendor and anyone says anything negative about your product or services and the vendor complains the mods will remove the post. That does a MAJOR disservice to the Corvette community as all opinions should be heard. The whining some (one in particular here) vendors do to protect their failures on customers cars is unethical and unfair.

I'm guessing this post will be deleted quickly as well even though I didn't mention the vendor's name I'm referring to. I'm sure he'll still cry like a little baby and have this removed as he has guilty conscience about how many engines he has blown up by taking risks at the customers expense.

No, this vendor did no work on any of my cars and never will. I have seen first hand the damage he has done yet he is revered on this site
Old 01-08-2015, 12:37 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by C7Jake
OP should be black flagged for starting this ***** thread.
I would black flag anyone that starts a floormat or any other thread I deem worthless. I'd start with this one.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I don't agree that members should Black Flag members. Just hit ignore and chill out. This is one of the most tame forums out there. In fact, there is a lot of talk that the mods here are too militant about policing what is said. I have no issues with the way things are run here for the most part.

My only minor gripe is if you are a vendor and anyone says anything negative about your product or services and the vendor complains the mods will remove the post. That does a MAJOR disservice to the Corvette community as all opinions should be heard. The whining some (one in particular here) vendors do to protect their failures on customers cars is unethical and unfair.

I'm guessing this post will be deleted quickly as well even though I didn't mention the vendor's name I'm referring to. I'm sure he'll still cry like a little baby and have this removed as he has guilty conscience about how many engines he has blown up by taking risks at the customers expense.

No, this vendor did no work on any of my cars and never will. I have seen first hand the damage he has done yet he is revered on this site

OK, this is just not accurate. The forum has established a place specifically for providing feedback on both vendors and other members (individual sales). This was based on feedback from forum members that wanted to have all feedback in a central location making it easier to find said feedback. Go to Forums > Help & Feedback > Transactions Feedback.

This forum has a rule about posting in for sale threads (again, this applies to both vendor and individual for sale threads):

Interference in a For Sale thread

If you don’t like the price or item being offered in for sale thread, take it to e-mail or PMs. Better still, just move on to a thread that is offering something you like the price on.

If you post a criticism of the price or the quality of the item being offered, you will be in violation of Forum rules and subject to sanctions.

If you post your own for sale items to the for sale thread started by someone else, you also are in violation of Forum rules. Start your own thread, rather than jumping into the thread of someone else.

If your contribution to a for sale thread does not advance the sale, you are in the way.

Posts are removed if it violates these rules. Pretty simple.

Put yourself in the position of a seller. Would you want someone coming into your thread and telling everyone that your price is too high or that there is some other issue with what you are selling or with you as a seller? Most (if not all) people would not.

As I said above, there is a place where you can provide feedback on products or sellers. Use that place as it is intended and there will not be a problem (there are guidelines in stickies in that section).
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

On average I'll take an under-moderated forum over an over-moderated/"selectively moderated based on commercial interests" forum any day of the week.

It's the internet, grow a skin.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
You can add members to your Ignore List, that way you don't see anything they post.

Click on their name, View Public Profile, User List, Add to Ignore List.

I should do this for half the people in the Z06 section...
This.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
OK, this is just not accurate. The forum has established a place specifically for providing feedback on both vendors and other members (individual sales). This was based on feedback from forum members that wanted to have all feedback in a central location making it easier to find said feedback. Go to Forums > Help & Feedback > Transactions Feedback.

This forum has a rule about posting in for sale threads (again, this applies to both vendor and individual for sale threads):

Posts are removed if it violates these rules. Pretty simple.

Put yourself in the position of a seller. Would you want someone coming into your thread and telling everyone that your price is too high or that there is some other issue with what you are selling or with you as a seller? Most (if not all) people would not.

As I said above, there is a place where you can provide feedback on products or sellers. Use that place as it is intended and there will not be a problem (there are guidelines in stickies in that section).
Sounds simple but it's not. If a vendor works on someone's car and it blows up and they refuse to take emails, calls and the person's car who has blown up only wants some help, what else are they to do except to do post? Let's say it's not in the vendors thread and I go and post a very negative experience with a vendor in the right section, are you saying it will stay if not offense and only provides the facts?

Many posts like this have gotten the vendors attention and most take ownership and work with the customer to resolve.

This one particular vendor wants no questions asked in his threads for a product he is pushing and when anything is said that may not be exactly what the vendor wants to see, he cries and it gets removed. I have seen these posts and have seen them magically disappear.

How about the vendors selling snake oil here? You and I both know some of the products being touted as "major performance improvements" are BS yet CF let's them keep pushing it. I'd mention the one product in particular but it's very name is part of the vendors name and I don't want this deleted.

I'm letting this go now as I doubt it's the mods forcing this behavior. CF is a business and to offer your services free to the general public, you need product sponsors. 90% of CF sponsors are responsible business owners and offer a great service to the Corvette community.

It's the 10% that "seem" to be protected and again, this does a disservice to the Corvette Community.

Off my soapbox now
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
silversmoke1957
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
I am a programmer and it would not be too complicated to add this option. The idea spawned because it gets old seeing the same people time and time again stirring the pot because they are bored and have no real agenda.

There can be a flag that if any one member gets marked by their peers and once they reach 20 negative mark, they get black flagged. We as members can choose to hide black flagged member's threads or even down to the post level (anything containing their screen name).

When the trouble makers get blocked, they lose interest and go away and if they come back under a new name, the cycle repeats. They will tire of the game and straighten up or move on.

You'd have to be a real jerk to be black flagged. Who's with me?

I like your idea. However, I think you are running against the wind. This web forum is an advertising business. Maintaining a high hit count as an indicator of potential product exposure is must for selling forum advertising space to the sponsors. Irritating people generate hit count. Pot stirrers generate hit count. It is unlikely that forum management is going to be motivated to reduce that hit count. Bad for business.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Let's say it's not in the vendors thread and I go and post a very negative experience with a vendor in the right section, are you saying it will stay if not offense and only provides the facts?

If by "right section" you mean Help & Feedback > Transactions Feedback, then yes it will stay.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:11 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree 10000% with the last few statements. This site is way over moderated, and its not the mods fault per se, it's the fault of profits for internet brands. God forbid they lose a sponsor that is a sc**bag because that leads to him not paying his dues and less $$ for IB... I'd much rather pay $100 a year by each member and tell the truth than pay $0 and be censored about the truth...

Last edited by SharkGrayStingray; 01-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Let's say it's not in the vendors thread and I go and post a very negative experience with a vendor in the right section, are you saying it will stay if not offense and only provides the facts?

If by "right section" you mean Help & Feedback > Transactions Feedback, then yes it will stay.

The problem with this is, once the vendor replies to the feedback, his word is taken as final and the truth, but it is almost always A LIE CAUSE HE KNOWS IT WILL BE CLOSED. So therefor thats what other people believe...

Same as, if you close a thread after the initial complaint, thats what people will believe as well...
Old 01-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

The thread stays open until both sides have responded. There are always going to be "he said/she said" issues. Usually, the truth lies somewhere in between, but we'll never really know. You can easily search the Transaction Feedback section for a vendor or member and see what feedback has been left. A lot of negative feedback should tell you something.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:20 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

OK, Thanks, great to know. I guess it's my bad but I've been a member for almost 9 years and I never go there. I guess most of the time most users stay in the "general" section.

So I'll ask this....I know it's been asked before..and pretty sure I know the answer... but may be worth mentioning again... why not consider limiting vendor sales to the "Vendor For Sale" section? If we have a dedicated section for vendor feedback to keep it out of "General" wouldn't it just make logical sense to keep vendor sales in their own section so they don't clog up "General", that way, those of us not looking to buy something don't get the top 10 posts every morning being vendor "For Sale" posts..

My guess is the answer is they pay for the privilege of being able to sell on CF and since General is the most visible section, you allow them to post there. Close?

Anyway, thanks Zymurgy for your quick responses and for keeping our interactions here for all to see.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:21 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

The thread stays open until both sides have responded. There are always going to be "he said/she said" issues. Usually, the truth lies somewhere in between, but we'll never really know. You can easily search the Transaction Feedback section for a vendor or member and see what feedback has been left. A lot of negative feedback should tell you something.
I hear you, and by no means are my responses here putting blame on you Zymurgy. The mods just enforce the rules...
Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
OP should be black flagged for starting this ***** thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

OK, Thanks, great to know. I guess it's my bad but I've been a member for almost 9 years and I never go there. I guess most of the time most users stay in the "general" section.

So I'll ask this....I know it's been asked before..and pretty sure I know the answer... but may be worth mentioning again... why not consider limiting vendor sales to the "Vendor For Sale" section? If we have a dedicated section for vendor feedback to keep it out of "General" wouldn't it just make logical sense to keep vendor sales in their own section so they don't clog up "General", that way, those of us not looking to buy something don't get the top 10 posts every morning being vendor "For Sale" posts..

My guess is the answer is they pay for the privilege of being able to sell on CF and since General is the most visible section, you allow them to post there. Close?

Anyway, thanks Zymurgy for your quick responses and for keeping our interactions here for all to see.

Actually, the C7 sections have a different rule for Vendor For Sale threads. They are limited to one thread on the first page of a 48 hour directory in all C7 sections except the Vendor For Sale Section where they have no limit. A timely response to a member question does not count against this limit.

By contrast, in the other sections (C6, for example), vendors can have 3 For Sale threads on the first page of the section.

So, we have attempted to balance the vendor needs to generate sales (that is how they stay in business) with member desires for less For Sale threads in general sections. Frankly, I often see things for sale in the general section that I was not aware of. In these cases, I appreciate the for sale posts in the general sections.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Flagging Forum Members - Who Wants This Option?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

in other words you want your own privite c.f. with your own privite friends so you can turn on them and black list them .
news flash ...this forum is already seeing people leave because of people that think just like you.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

OK, so, to review:

1. Use "Ignore List"
2. Use "Report Thread" link
3. Send a PM to one of your helpful, friendly Moderators!

LOL.........
Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 454 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I would black flag anyone that starts a floormat or any other thread I deem worthless. I'd start with this one.
I guess I stepped into this one... Excuse me while I take off my flame suit and put the fires out. If anyone cared to read post #4 in this thread, I'd hope they'd have some understanding. In all these years here, I never knew or cared about blocking members.

Been away for 5 years and come back to a site that contains more senseless posts than I ever recall. It was easy to see much of these senseless posters were clogging the threads of interest.
Now that I know about member blocking. That's all I needed was to block the trolls. Disregard Black Flag.

Quick Reply: Black Flagging Forum Members - Who Wants This Option?