C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up car Saturday - Carbon Fiber roof help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Thumpa
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picking up car Saturday - Carbon Fiber roof help!

Spent a couple days negotiating, then put a deposit last night. Traveling a few states over on Saturday to do the deal. However, I was trying to upgrade to the Carbon Fiber roof with the torch red sides (currently has transparent). This wasn't a freebie I was asking for - I was paying for it and adding the cost into my financing. At first I was told that they would order it and it would be shipped directly to me. However, they later told me that the roof is just not available. The dealer said he called Chevy and you simply can not order that part. Is this a common thing? I quickly browsed the forum and it seems like there have been production holdups for people ordering cars with this roof in the past, but I thought it was an old problem. I'm new here and haven't fully familiarized myself with this forum, but any advice is appreciated. I know that I'm not going to spend $5,000 later on to add it, but it would have been inconsequential thrown into my financing. On the bright side, my car is now $5K cheaper. I don't want it to be.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Just for your information, here's an alternative option, CF top for $3000:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-your-c7.html
Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The only two options would be order it with the roof you want and wait, which may not be as long as the dealer thinks, or purchase it later. Do you want two roofs?
My '14 came with the carbon fiber exposed roof with color accents. I like the look so well that the roof has only been off the car once sense I've had it.
Sense it was available for the '14's, I wouldn't think it would be a long wait. Get what you want and have no regrets.
Have you checked out any other dealerships?

Last edited by stingraymyway; 01-07-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The visible CF roof has been on constraint almost the entire time since production started back in 2013. Both CF roofs have been on constraint since the start of 2015 production.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:34 AM
rotherd31
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep your eye on the classifieds in the C-7 section. Depending on the color, they are for sale from time to time. You didn't way whether or not you plan on keeping both roofs or not, but if not, I would be interested in purchasing your transparent roof, should you decide to part with it. Dick

Originally Posted by Thumpa
Spent a couple days negotiating, then put a deposit last night. Traveling a few states over on Saturday to do the deal. However, I was trying to upgrade to the Carbon Fiber roof with the torch red sides (currently has transparent). This wasn't a freebie I was asking for - I was paying for it and adding the cost into my financing. At first I was told that they would order it and it would be shipped directly to me. However, they later told me that the roof is just not available. The dealer said he called Chevy and you simply can not order that part. Is this a common thing? I quickly browsed the forum and it seems like there have been production holdups for people ordering cars with this roof in the past, but I thought it was an old problem. I'm new here and haven't fully familiarized myself with this forum, but any advice is appreciated. I know that I'm not going to spend $5,000 later on to add it, but it would have been inconsequential thrown into my financing. On the bright side, my car is now $5K cheaper. I don't want it to be.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Guess I should feel lucky my car had one when I bought it! Buying used does have its advantages sometimes! (or many times!)

Quick question though....why is it a $5k addition?? The "dual roof" option, which included both the exposed carbon fiber with painted accents roof, and a transparent roof, was only a $2995 option! And I believe just upgrading to the carbon roof only was $1995. I see now that these options are no longer available on their website but I'm 99% sure that is what they cost when they were on there.

Last edited by StingerBG; 01-08-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Thumpa
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have to reveal my ignorance here, and suddenly the carbon fiber roof doesn't seem like that much of a priority. I am picking up a torch red Vette with Carbon flash trim, and I haven't seen a red Vette or carbon flash other than online. When I googled carbon flash mirrors, the first pic that pops up is a carbon fiber mirror - which I now assume is aftermarket. Same when I saw pics of a carbon fiber-look stinger stripe. I was assuming that carbon flash meant a painted carbon fiber appearance, not black metallic. I was going for a match with the roof, not realizing that it wouldn't actually match carbon flash, lol. Of course, I'd still like to get one eventually because it is badass, but I think a couple other items like a front splitter and side skirts are higher on my list. This is my first time buying a car without knowing very much about the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2014 came with a carbon fiber roof panel but my wife wanted the transparent roof panel. I liked the look that the carbon fiber panel has with the painted side rails. So I had the side rails painted on the transparent roof panel now I have the look I wanted and the transparent panel my wife wants.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Just an idea...you could always have the transparent hood painted the way you want! Carbon Flash with the Torch Red sides. This option would probably be cheaper than buying a Carbon Fiber roof. IMO, I didn't think I would like the Carbon Fiber roof since it didn't really match the other black accents on the car (I also have the Flash mirrors and spoiler), but after seeing it in person I really liked the look of it! I do think a lot of carbon fiber accessories can start to look a little tacky, but just being on the roof alone, at least on my Arctic White, looks pretty snazzy, again IMO!

Get notified of new replies

To Picking up car Saturday - Carbon Fiber roof help!

Quick Reply: Picking up car Saturday - Carbon Fiber roof help!