Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 vs. Tesla at the Drag Strip

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM
carlsturm
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos to the C7 and the driver. A great ETA and trap speed. It's not a 'bone stock' C7 tho and I think it's got more than drag radials.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Front Page News!

We only covered this on the front page because the 'vette won (thankfully)...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...sla-dragstrip/
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a love hate relationship with Tesla. I'm glad the company is out there making a case for electric cars. I hope it will some day turn in to something useful. As of right now though, it isn't.

This race is not repeatable and sustainable. The Tesla could not do this 20 times in a row without being parked recharged for 16 hours. The Corvette could if it started with a full tank. and refill takes just minutes.
Who knows if the car can even make it home after a full power discharge a drag race requires. poor guy. Tesla you are bad a$$ in ideal conditions for short periods of time. Someday you will become a real car.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9
I have a love hate relationship with Tesla. I'm glad the company is out there making a case for electric cars. I hope it will some day turn in to something useful. As of right now though, it isn't.

This race is not repeatable and sustainable. The Tesla could not do this 20 times in a row without being parked recharged for 16 hours. The Corvette could if it started with a full tank. and refill takes just minutes.
Who knows if the car can even make it home after a full power discharge a drag race requires. poor guy. Tesla you are bad a$$ in ideal conditions for short periods of time. Someday you will become a real car.
I agree in part .. but Tesla isn't building them for the track. They're getting 250-300 miles on a charge in normal travel, and are demonstrating the tremendous potential for electric cars .. with tons of power, instant torque, and about 3 moving parts. It's quite an achievement. And while electric cars still have a carbon footprint, it's still considerably less than gas-powered vehicles.

I love my V8s, but Tesla is making a great case for electric ..
Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryv
I agree in part .. but Tesla isn't building them for the track. They're getting 250-300 miles on a charge in normal travel, and are demonstrating the tremendous potential for electric cars .. with tons of power, instant torque, and about 3 moving parts. It's quite an achievement. And while electric cars still have a carbon footprint, it's still considerably less than gas-powered vehicles.

I test drove one, and asked hard questions. They are not as advertised.
300 miles with the biggest, most expensive battery pack in "ideal conditions". Oh, is it winter? We have to heat the battery pack. Your 300 range becomes 250. Oh, you are freezing and want to turn on the heat? 250 just became 200. Turn on the stereo? 180. headlights? 160. FLoor it a few times.... 85miles. It will get most people to and from work everyday... but it is NOT what they make it out to be.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
There's no question that the Tesla's a really impressive car and will get better. But, don't you thing the "real reason" GM wants a mid-engined Corvette is so they can add electric motors on the front wheels and have an "all wheel drive" Vette? Sort of like the Porsche Spyder. It's inevitable.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
That's an impressive 1/4 mile run. Bone stock, and not even a Z51 with the more aggressive gearing - it may or may not have had NPP. Would like to know if it was an A6, A8 or M7.
Who told you that a C7 is faster with the Z51 package? It ain't.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Lacoven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fanbois on that site are ridiculous, the car still costs 120k and batteries are heavy give me 50K to drop in my vette and I will assure I blow away that P85D. Just think what you could do with CTS-V Sedan and an extra 50K to beef it up I would put my money on the V.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

NO WAY the C7 runs over 110 MPH in the 1/4 pounder!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I've seen other videos of stock C7's dropping into the high 11's.

If you look at the Corvette brochures you will note that some of the performance data is missing from the stock version of the car vs. the Z51.
This has been discussed before.

Due to gearing the Z51 may not show a better performance time than the stock C7 in some venues (specifically the 1/4 ET). so where it doesn't, the base has no performance figures noted.

The Z51 shows 12.0 for the 1/4 mile, imagine the base showing 11.8 in the brochure and how that would affect sales?

Definitely believe the base C7 is a sub 12.0 sec 1/4 mile car. Too much actual video evidence indicates that to be the case.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
That's an impressive 1/4 mile run. Bone stock, and not even a Z51 with the more aggressive gearing - it may or may not have had NPP. Would like to know if it was an A6, A8 or M7.
Copied and pasted from the site:

In a shocking twist of events, a 2015 Corvette Stingray has taken down the mighty Tesla Model S P85D. We say shocking because the Corvette is at a disadvantage in this battle.
The Corvette Stingray is bone-stock, making a solid 455-horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. Normally, a Corvette Stingray would be quicker than most anything you’d encounter at your local stoplight, but it’s a tad different at the dragstrip.
The Tesla Model S P85D packs its instant torque punch with all-wheel-drive putting down 691-horsepower and a colossal 687 pound-feet or torque. Normally, the Tesla would leave the Corvette in its rearview, but that’s not the case here.
It looks as if the Corvette gets the jump off the line, and we’re not sure if we’re looking at a Stingray with the 8-speed automatic or 7-speed manual, but some superb shifting happens to hold the Tesla off in the quarter mile.
The C7 Corvette clocks in at 11.67 seconds, while the Tesla begins creeping up and crossing the line at 11.79 seconds. Well done ‘Vette driver.

Also, I wonder if the sportscar model Tesla would turn a better time? It is less weight. The Tesla provides a glimpse of the future of automobiles. Petroleum fueled cars are going the way of the dinosaurs whether we like it or not.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/...#ixzz3QEBWTufk
Old 01-29-2015, 12:59 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsturm
Kudos to the C7 and the driver. A great ETA and trap speed. It's not a 'bone stock' C7 tho and I think it's got more than drag radials.
Tesla driver probably forgot to hit the "Insane" button (yes that is real, not making it up).
Old 01-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

looks to be as fast as a C7 Z06...

Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

good god, that Tesla must be a fat pig, to only trap 114 mph.. yes it has instant torque and great traction, (which makes for a good et) but it's trap speed SUCKS!!! also, how long were they both going to sleep at the light.. "you go, no you go, no you go.. ok I'll start out in my Corvette first"
Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM
speedyjoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlsturm
I have a bone stock 15 stingray 11.67 122 mph on stock runflats and 1.75 60' ft a8 trans this thing hauls people need to stop hating
Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Satch0922
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

$105,000, no exhaust rumble, giant iPad dash, smoke detectors in the garage.... I'll pass for now. Or at least until the Govt shows up asking me to turn over my ancient vehicle. :-)

They are interesting "vehicles", just don't see how long they could be fun. (btw I have driven one several times, the glitz wears off pretty fast).
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryv

Not here in Texas where we generate a lot of electricity with coal. The carbon footprint for an electric car is higher than a gas powered car when you use coal. If you live where there is hydro electric, wind, solar or natural gas powered electricity, then your carbon footprint is less than gas.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 vs. Tesla at the Drag Strip

Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive run by both cars. I cannot tell where this video was taken but you can see people wearing shorts and short sleeves. Makes me believe warm climate and possibly lower to sea level. Here in south Texas we get faster times just for those reasons alone.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:51 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
There's no question that the Tesla's a really impressive car and will get better. But, don't you thing the "real reason" GM wants a mid-engined Corvette is so they can add electric motors on the front wheels and have an "all wheel drive" Vette? Sort of like the Porsche Spyder. It's inevitable.
if that's where the technology is going, I'm 100% fine with it. that 918 is out of this world
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM
billeee
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's Tesla's response.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/33665-soft...-corvette-z06/

Seems to be some confusion about which model Corvette turned the 11.67.

Quick Reply: C7 vs. Tesla at the Drag Strip