Print Wikipost

C7 grill swap for Z06 grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:40 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
One disadvantage to the Z06 grille is that the openings are much larger and more likely to let bugs and trash through to the radiator with no good way to clean it... If you have noticed, the bottom is sealed to the radiator inlet shroud.

Aren't clear tail lights the ricer preference?

We don't have many bugs here in AZ... too hot for them. Planning to pull the front off once a year for a good cleaning.

Don't know much about ricers... never owned one. I guess you could say the same thing about front splitters, side skirts, rear spoilers, powder coat wheels and lowering, etc. If the idea is to avoid all mods that are popular among "ricers," that wouldn't leave many modification options for the rest of us.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (02-14-2016)
Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 PM
RHORTON164
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
PS if you decide to do it yourself, the hardest part is the retaining clips near the headlight near where the hood bumper and quarter panel meets. Its a pain but if you pull straight up it'll go. (You'll know what i mean when it comes time)
They are a pain in the .....
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I'll join the crowd, temporarily anyway. This grille is coming out once my other one has the final modifications made to it. Threw in a Z06 grille until that get's done. Had tried the Z06 splitter as well....for about 5 minutes, then put on the new ACS splitter. No comparison, at least on my car and for my particular tastes.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Ordered the grill from Gene yesterday, got it today ( dont know how thats even possible ) and installed it tonight. Im so glad this forum had the write up and video for it. those clips by the lights are really terrible but if i had to do it again, it would be easier now that i know how they clip in.

Now my car doesnt look like its wearing braces
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by stab1991
Ordered the grill from Gene yesterday, got it today ( dont know how thats even possible ) and installed it tonight. Im so glad this forum had the write up and video for it. those clips by the lights are really terrible but if i had to do it again, it would be easier now that i know how they clip in.

Now my car doesnt look like its wearing braces
Thank you for your business. I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business and the positive feedback.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 PM
ect
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody notice a reduction in coolant temp's after install? thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I finally got around to installing mine last weekend. Wasn't too bad, took maybe an hour and a half. The only issue I ran into was that my supercharger inter cooler was covering one of the bottom bolts and I had to drop my inter cooler down to get to it. I'm now waiting for my splitter to come in.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM
CeeSeven
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Yes, it fits 2014 and 2015. The Z06 and Z51 brake ducts are the same so if you have the Z51 you don't need them. We sell the grille and the brake duct kit. The link to the grille is below.

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...c7-z06-grille/
Just ordered mine. Looking forward to a better look since I cut out the grill over the ducts for better brake cooling as GM recommends for tracking (I boiled Motul 600 using PFC 08 front pads last track event). No matter how carefully I cut and touched up with carbon flash paint it still looks unacceptably modded (to me).
Other posts talking about fascia (bumper) removal say the sticking point is the clips between the headlight and hood. They're right. I've had the fascia off to put in tow hook mounts (available on the forum). Make those points the last to remove. With the fascia in one hand (it's light) and a wonder bar for construction (just a standard wide pry bar) in the other, lift the otherwise loose fascia enough to create a space big enough to insert the curved part of the wonder bar under the fascia without scraping the headlight. Angle it so that the curved part sits pretty flat against the underside of the fascia and is very close to the clips that are securing the fascia so you don't dent or crease the material. Then pull up suddenly (I'm assuming a certain amount of mechanical prowess here). After it's off you can adjust the clips to fit a bit looser so that it comes off easier next time.
I had to do this only on one side. The other side came off better. Seems the clips are not uniformly bent from the factory so that some fit tighter than others. There is a happy medium of grip and releasability you can obtain with a little bending finesse.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by ect
Anybody notice a reduction in coolant temp's after install? thanks
I would not expect the coolant temperature to change as the stat & cooling capacity are the same. I doubt that the larger holes in the grill will make a material difference.

I have mine apart now..... Gene got it to me in February (thank you Gene for the quick service) but I could not get the car out with all the snow & cold

BTW: It is easier to take the buper cover off if you loosen the two seven mm bolts just above the lights which hold the clips.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I would not expect the coolant temperature to change as the stat & cooling capacity are the same. I doubt that the larger holes in the grill will make a material difference.

I have mine apart now..... Gene got it to me in February (thank you Gene for the quick service) but I could not get the car out with all the snow & cold

BTW: It is easier to take the buper cover off if you loosen the two seven mm bolts just above the lights which hold the clips.

If you loosen the clips, you must get the clips put back in their exact original location or the bumper alignment will be screwed up.

Elmer
Old 03-15-2015, 11:57 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I found an alternative method which was far easier for me than loosening the bolts that hold the brackets into which the tabs are fitted. You'll see that you can easily release the two inside clips from behind and the two remaining outside clips can be freed up by lifting the bumper cover and going in through the gap in front with a long, flat-head screw driver to release the more difficult outside clips. Wish I had taken the time to video this procedure as I think it would save others lots of time and aggravation.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/C7-Co...2645030?ref=hl
Attached Images  

Last edited by jrainlay; 03-15-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Vaz51
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you guys doing if you have the cameras in the grille? I would assume those would not swap over
Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You can get the 2016 Z grill with the cameras already installed. They are plug and play from the stingray grill to the Z grill. Of course it adds cost.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Did the grill and the rear quarter panel vents....you have to be really careful with the clips by the head lights.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

All the threads about swapping out stock gril and/or covering the chrome strip, I have not seen one on the street, yet?! I have seen a 2016 with the subdued option shortly after model year release, only one! Mod isn't popular in Central Pennsylvania.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

One of the members of our local Corvette club has done the Z06 grill on his Z51. It looks good. I've seen the 2016 with the black-out grill bar side by side with one that has the chrome bar, and frankly couldn't say I like one better than the other. The bar is still very noticeable.

I think my preference would be a grill without any bar at all, but with the Stingray grid pattern rather than the Z06. But that's not an option, so I have a Z06 grill on order.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
PS if you decide to do it yourself, the hardest part is the retaining clips near the headlight near where the hood bumper and quarter panel meets. Its a pain but if you pull straight up it'll go. (You'll know what i mean when it comes time)
I used a plastic trim tool, and the leverage made it lift out of the clips very easy.

Snapped right back in, no problem.

Name:  2015-04-02%2016.58.17_zps4oxbjfqy.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  125.6 KB

2015 Z51 NRB

Get notified of new replies

To C7 grill swap for Z06 grill

Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I did mine to day did it all on the ground took about 1 1/2 hours from start to end. Looks much better than the reg grill in the car.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaz51
what are you guys doing if you have the cameras in the grille? I would assume those would not swap over
You guys can purchase the C7 Z06 grille with or without the cameras at our link below. Please keep in mind if you do not have cameras you just can't purchase this grille and install and you have cameras.

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...c7-z06-grille/

Old 02-12-2016, 11:51 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Mine would not pop out with a long screw driver ..so i just loosened the bolts..hopefully the nose ligns back up..z06 grill and procharger same time

Quick Reply: C7 grill swap for Z06 grill