Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I for one have no objections to the current Corvette seats. What do you not like about them?
Agreed - I think the seats are good.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
^^^ The cayman and boxster are the bitch car of Porsche. Cant afford a 911? get a corvette
Ever hear of a Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder? Plenty of people are choosing these six figure bitch cars over the 911 in order to get a 911 engine in a mid-engine platform.

I traded my 911 C2S for a Boxster S and had zero regrets. I cross shopped my ZR1 with a 911 C4S PDK but felt the handling was still a step backwards from the bitch car I'd be trading in. Also, the PDK was fast but boring compared to a manual. The ZR1 handles better than my 911 did, but still not as good as the Boxster. Acceptable trade off though for double the horsepower.

When my son is old enough to ride in a booster seat I may consider picking up another 911, but only so I can have a decent sports car with back seats for him to ride along. The back seats are the only reason to get a 911 S or 4S as opposed to a GT4 or Boxster Spyder in my opinion. Turbo, GT2 GT3 etc are faster yet and all great cars, but could be even better yet from a performance standpoint with the engine in the middle like a proper "bitch car".
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by csf
Just looked at a CPO 2 yr old black 911 4S Cabriolet with bunch of options. MSRP was $140k, dealer will "let it " for $94k.

They offered me $42k for my '13 GS coupe with 6000 miles.

So for my immaculate Vette and only $52,000 I can get a Porsche 911.

In reality, I don't know how the sales staff can keep a straight face.

I can afford the Porsche, but the cost to change is insanity.

"Ya gotta pay to play"

The sweet spot for a Porsche or most sports cars for that matter is ~4 years old w/ ~20k miles. At this point, they usually have depreciated ~50%. From there you can drive it another year or two with minimal depreciation if you keep mileage below 50k and avoid any Carfax records. I recently looked at a 4 year old C4S PDK CPO with 19k miles and OEM Aero kit for 60k. I went with the ZR1 instead that was also depreciated by more than 50%. I'm not sure I'd buy another new car given the big hit on depreciation the first few years. Let the first buyer take the hit.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Aston? I think you jumped up a few pegs.
friend bought a new v8 vantage GT for 105k.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
Ever hear of a Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder? Plenty of people are choosing these six figure bitch cars over the 911 in order to get a 911 engine in a mid-engine platform.

I traded my 911 C2S for a Boxster S and had zero regrets. I cross shopped my ZR1 with a 911 C4S PDK but felt the handling was still a step backwards from the bitch car I'd be trading in. Also, the PDK was fast but boring compared to a manual. The ZR1 handles better than my 911 did, but still not as good as the Boxster. Acceptable trade off though for double the horsepower.

When my son is old enough to ride in a booster seat I may consider picking up another 911, but only so I can have a decent sports car with back seats for him to ride along. The back seats are the only reason to get a 911 S or 4S as opposed to a GT4 or Boxster Spyder in my opinion. Turbo, GT2 GT3 etc are faster yet and all great cars, but could be even better yet from a performance standpoint with the engine in the middle like a proper "bitch car".
Heres the deal, factoring money out of the equation.

If"car guys" were to pick any Porsche. 90%-95% would be taking either a Turbo, GT3, or GT3/RS home.

There is always going to be those people who buy into the whole mid engine cayman thing. My biggest problem is the way the cayman, and boxster look. I am sure the boxster , S2000, 1 series BMW, miata, and BRZ are great drivers, but they just dont have the road presence i want.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

I owned a Boxter S for7 years and while I enjoy/loved the car I sold it out of fear of an IMS failure I had been hearing of so many failures that I became scared to drive it. As long as I owed my Porsche I never had any problems the only thing I ever had to do was change the oil and tires. I wasn't super impressed with the fit and finish it was OK but at that price most cars are. When I sold the Porsche I take a few years off from owning a sports car then I bought a C6 I love the power but it by no means handles like a Porsche still fun to drive. I recently traded the C6 for a C7 Grand Sport although I only have about 560 miles on it I much say I love this car I just hope I don't have any issues with it! Being it's a manual I think I will be just fine. I can't wait until Spring to really go to drive the car a bit.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
first off the only real Porsche is the 911. Everything is for daughters,mistress, and wives.

I sat in a few 911 model cars from the turbo to the base. In my opinion they feel a lot better when comparing to a c7 of any trim.

But to pay 130k for a 911 is just crazy. I would rather go F type R, or aston martin.
$130K is fine if you have the spare change, but I would never spend that for any vehicle. Porsches have gone up the price ladder as their owners have aged and become more successful. I had a friend a year or two older when I was in high school in the 1960s who drove a nice Porsche 356 with a little ski rack on the back deck. These were not uncommon as drives for ski bums whose parents had fronted them a little money. They were not in the stratosphere price-wise.

Now it's a little different, and I suspect that ski bums (if any remain) are driving Subarus.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

LOL a 356 as a ski bum car is a funny image.

In case your friend needs a replacement rack here is a link, it may bring back some memories.

http://www.speedsterowners.com/topic...o-luggage-rack
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I feel like I am putting a nickel into a dollar discussion here, but the best way that I can put it when considering a Porsche vs a Corvette is this. When I had my Porsche and my Corvette and would stop at the Dry Cleaners, when I was in the Porsche I would have to walk in with my ticket and wait on my dry cleaning when in the Corvette when I walked in they had my stuff pulled and waiting on me and really just wanted to talk about the Vette.
....and in the original Cars Movie what type car played the female?
VH
P.S. I really liked the Porsche I just seem to like American Muscle.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Davids65
LOL a 356 as a ski bum car is a funny image.

In case your friend needs a replacement rack here is a link, it may bring back some memories.

http://www.speedsterowners.com/topic...o-luggage-rack
Rear engine over drive wheels supposedly gave great traction in the snow.

His rack clipped to the left side of the engine compartment or the left rear fender, held only two sets of skis (of course) parallel to the left edge of the lid (leaning forward). All the bums with 356s had them.

I have also seen that luggage rack in the link.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 01-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
$130K is fine if you have the spare change, but I would never spend that for any vehicle. Porsches have gone up the price ladder as their owners have aged and become more successful. I had a friend a year or two older when I was in high school in the 1960s who drove a nice Porsche 356 with a little ski rack on the back deck. These were not uncommon as drives for ski bums whose parents had fronted them a little money. They were not in the stratosphere price-wise.

Now it's a little different, and I suspect that ski bums (if any remain) are driving Subarus.

Apparently you just need a "Luxury MasterCard Titanium card" to be a ski bum with a Porsche these days, Lolz...

Old 01-18-2017, 12:16 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have owned five Porsches and have been a member of PCA for years. I just bought my first brand new Corvette Z06. My first impression of the Z06 is that Chevrolet has definitely closed the gap with Porsche. The fit and finish, exterior and interior on my Vette is exceptional. I've never had any interest in Caymans or Boxters so I can't comment on those cars. But I have two friends with new 911's and from a quality standpoint they are no nicer then my Vette. To match the performance of the Z06 you will have to buy at least a 911/GT3.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ You know, we've got 5 pages of discussion in just this thread alone. There are many, many more threads about this very subject.

At the end of the day, I made a conscious choice when I bought my Stingray. I could have paid cash for any Porsche on the market. I chose Corvette. I drove 2 Porsches. Again, I chose Corvette. I do NOT regret my purchase either. I'm very happy with the fit and finish of my C7. I love the leather interior. I think the C7 Corvette is MUCH sexier than any Porsche on the street.

For that matter, I could have bought my dream car-an Aventador. I'm still VERY happy with what is sitting in my garage.

Name:  C12_zpsyb3fw7da.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  C8_zpsqbbdq8zs.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  1_zpslvphejna.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  133.1 KB
Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ion
Suncoast sells the Porsche door clips for $1.50 a piece. The GM clip is $4.95 for 25 pack (~20 cents a piece).

Porsche, Audi and VW use the same door clip but it's $1.50 from Porsche, 99 cents from Audi and 60 cents from VW. Porsche parts are nice, but they are also inflated in price "because Porsche". When a rock cracked my Porsche fog / running light, it was $355 for just the part I replaced myself. Just glad it wasn't a $1200 headlight.

Years ago I was told by a mechanic that back in the 1950s Porsche would grind the VW parts number off suspension pieces, stamp on new numbers, and sell these parts for an additional profit.

Using the GM parts bin is one element that helps keep C7 within the reach of ordinary buyers. Even the V8s wouldn't be available at reasonable cost if not for also showing up in Camaros and pickup trucks.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by vet4me45
I have owned five Porsches and have been a member of PCA for years. I just bought my first brand new Corvette Z06. My first impression of the Z06 is that Chevrolet has definitely closed the gap with Porsche. The fit and finish, exterior and interior on my Vette is exceptional. I've never had any interest in Caymans or Boxters so I can't comment on those cars. But I have two friends with new 911's and from a quality standpoint they are no nicer then my Vette. To match the performance of the Z06 you will have to buy at least a 911/GT3.
Well said!! Unfortunately perception (or car magazine propaganda) prevails over reality sometimes.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I had a Boxster S owning pal drive mine 2,000 miles out west for me. He's all smiles when it comes to power between them. He liked everything about the C7 including the gas mileage it gets! I hope he considers driving it again for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by anjdog2003
I've owned both and worked for both companies. The corvette is by far the best bang for the buck, but the Porsche is far superior in build quality.
I have been in enough Porsches to agree that they're superior to the Corvette in build quality. 'Far' superior? I think that applied to the C6. My new C7 is so impressive in this area that I think you can say Porsches are still better than the Corvette, but the quality gap between the brands has been cut from significant to more marginal. GM did an amazing job on the C7 from what I can see.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
XKeyScore
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the greatest strengths of the Corvette platform is the relative low cost of ownership.

Compare that to a real-world example of a 2013 911 in the video below and the decision is simple - Corvette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_YXwtmNB-I
Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

My pal Don had a 911 convertible for a few years, then a new BMW M3, now he has a 2014 Cayman S. He greatly prefers the Cayman to either the M3 or the 911, and if anything it may be marginally slower than the two previous cars. The build quality in his Porsches (he also has a Cayenne SUV) is the absolute best in the car business in my view.

So if the Corvette is a tick or two below that, it can still be very good, and so it is.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by patentcad
My pal Don had a 911 convertible for a few years, then a new BMW M3, now he has a 2014 Cayman S. He greatly prefers the Cayman to either the M3 or the 911, and if anything it may be marginally slower than the two previous cars. The build quality in his Porsches (he also has a Cayenne SUV) is the absolute best in the car business in my view.

So if the Corvette is a tick or two below that, it can still be very good, and so it is.
When I was at my local Porsche dealer a month back, a guy had just traded in both a 2013 Ferrari 458 Spider AND a 2016 911 GT3 RS. He left with a Cayman GT4 and a bunch of cash. The dealer doesn't have a price tag on the Ferrari, but they've listed the GT3 RS at $261,273. Apparently this guy didn't know or didn't care that the Cayman is reportedly "a chick car" and a "car you buy when you can't afford a 911". People who say things like this just don't understand that Porsche (or anyone for that matter) can make a car more rewarding and fun to drive than a 911 and it doesn't even have to be faster in a straight line or cost more.

That said, there are plenty of people who can afford a Porsche who opt for a Corvette as they are also amazing performance machines and a tremendous value considering performance per dollar. It says volumes about the Corvette that it's even being cross-shopped with Porsches that cost much more. The Corvette is an affordable, american built sports car that can hang with Stuttgart's best for a fraction of the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality