Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
VooDooRob
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

We currently own a Porsche Panamera Turbo and Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Both cars have been excellent with only 1 hiccup on the Panamera. Sold our Viper last year and were looking at 911s and decided to give the Z06/Z07 a try. Our friends showed up with one and after looking it over really liked the direction the new Corvette has gone in. It's a very nice car, powerful and to the point. Not as raw as the Viper but not as refined as the 911. The ride on the Panamera is so solid it's amazing, it's air ride coupled with the brake system off the 911 Turbo. The Z06 magnetic ride is absolutely amazing technology also, just a different type of ride if I can get that point across. For anyone thinking that paint quality gets better up the scale, it really doesn't. Our Panamera has the same orange peel as the Z06, and it was 50% more purchase price. The Corvette plastic parts on the body are not near the quality fit and finish of the Porsche. When I wash the Z06 the rear bumper is flimsy, the ducts move and make noises, and the tailights move so much they seem like a tab is missing. This happens with very light pressure. On both our Porsches the plastic exterior parts are not flimsy and do not move or make noises. Expect to pay more for that better engineering and fit, but also be able to handle the depreciation. Would I buy another Corvette, absolutely it's been a wonderful ownership experience. You have to go deep into the 911 line-up, and your pocketbook, to compare to a base C7 in my opinion if your looking at raw performance. In my opinion the Boxster and Cayman are not comps to the Corvette. 911 would be the best comp for you but will also be 2-3 times the cost new.
The following 3 users liked this post by VooDooRob:
dvilin (01-11-2017), Hopper12 (01-17-2017), Maxpowers (01-11-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Busa Dave......I'll show you $250K cars with Orange Peel. That said sure GM needs to improve the paint on the Corvette and it looks like they are working on that! I'll also show you ultra expensive cars that rattle! Sure GM needs to put more attention to final fit & finish. They've done that but still have a little more to do in that dept.

You can put a Porsche on a pedestal and sh*t on the Corvette if that makes you happy but I won't! And FYI just in my case, the people I know that own a Corvette are more well off financially than the ones I know that own a Porsche! One is driving a Turbo Cab and living in a $1500/Mo tiny apartment studio. And I never thought of someone buying a $60-120K toy as a Poor Man!
I think you may be misconstruing the topic and comments on this thread. Nothing I had read was putting the Porsche on a Pedestal, nor anyone was crapping on the Corvette, which is funny, as I assume anyone who sought out this forum and took the time to post has a passion for the car to start. In fact, most people has had or has a Porsche and still bought or are looking to buy a Corvette like myself. This isn't a conversation about money, performance, value, or the wealth of the owners, but just a simple question of build quality. No one is asking the question of off setting benefits or reasons why they are buying or want the car, that would be up to each individual and personal. And within the scope of "build quality", the Porsche wins out for numerous reasons. With that being said, the C7 is still a great car. But all cars are different and have its own character and persona. And the C7 does belong in the same group of cars mainly because we the buyers are putting it there. My decision encompassed the new Cayman S, Carrera 4S, AMG GTS, F Type R Jaguar, and the C7 GS and Z06, which all I have test driven. And guess what, I want a GS despite my determination on quality. But I am going in with both eyes open. But to put it another way, I could buy a 1 carat F-Flawless diamond and for the same money a 3 carat VS-1. No matter which one I choose the F-Flawless is still a better quality diamond. Life, like cars, is a trade off. One mans choice isn't any better than another. But as for build quality, the answer is obvious.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 01-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

^^^ I own both, great cars, but totally different in the ride and build quality.
No complaints on either sports car.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-17-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had 3 Porsches and 2 Corvettes. I tend to go back and forth between the two. I love them both in different ways.

I have to admit that Porsche does make a car with "better build quality", but Corvette offers the superior performance value. You'd have to spend a half million to get a Porsche with ZR1's level of power (GT2 RS). The used ZR1 on the other hand cost less than a new Boxster / Cayman. You can't really beat the value proposition of any Corvette. I opted for a ZR1 over a new Boxster / Cayman, but honestly I'd take a used GT2 RS over a used ZR1 if they were the same price

Someone asked earlier "What do you see in the Porsche that translates to "better build quality"?' Being an Engineer, I realize it's lots of things you don't see that translates to better build quality. It's the sum of all these things that gives you the fit, finish and impression of quality.

Both the Corvette and Porsche can be had with leather wrapped doors, but consider the door faster clips underneath for example:

Each of the Porsche fasteners is spring loaded and has a rubber gasket to absorb noise, vibration and rattles.

This is the GM fastener used on Corvettes ...

Little details like this explain the difference in sound when closing a door, going over a bump or turning up the radio.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:21 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Those are the same (Porsche type) door clips used in my VW.....
Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
I've had 3 Porsches and 2 Corvettes. I tend to go back and forth between the two. I love them both in different ways.

I have to admit that Porsche does make a car with "better build quality", but Corvette offers the superior performance value. You'd have to spend a half million to get a Porsche with ZR1's level of power (GT2 RS). The used ZR1 on the other hand cost less than a new Boxster / Cayman. You can't really beat the value proposition of any Corvette. I opted for a ZR1 over a new Boxster / Cayman, but honestly I'd take a used GT2 RS over a used ZR1 if they were the same price

Someone asked earlier "What do you see in the Porsche that translates to "better build quality"?' Being an Engineer, I realize it's lots of things you don't see that translates to better build quality. It's the sum of all these things that gives you the fit, finish and impression of quality.

Both the Corvette and Porsche can be had with leather wrapped doors, but consider the door faster clips underneath for example:

Each of the Porsche fasteners is spring loaded and has a rubber gasket to absorb noise, vibration and rattles.

This is the GM fastener used on Corvettes ...

Little details like this explain the difference in sound when closing a door, going over a bump or turning up the radio.

And the GM part probably costs GM less than a penny apiece, where as the Porsche part probably costs them 50 cents... when you multiply it all out, that is significant in terms of profitability. GM is a high volume manufacturer and they is benefit in economies of scale.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
And the GM part probably costs GM less than a penny apiece, where as the Porsche part probably costs them 50 cents... when you multiply it all out, that is significant in terms of profitability. GM is a high volume manufacturer and they is benefit in economies of scale.

Suncoast sells the Porsche door clips for $1.50 a piece. The GM clip is $4.95 for 25 pack (~20 cents a piece).

Porsche, Audi and VW use the same door clip but it's $1.50 from Porsche, 99 cents from Audi and 60 cents from VW. Porsche parts are nice, but they are also inflated in price "because Porsche". When a rock cracked my Porsche fog / running light, it was $355 for just the part I replaced myself. Just glad it wasn't a $1200 headlight.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

^^^ And that is retail price... what GM pays because of their volumes is much much less, which is why i said... a penny. Porche uses a more expensive clip and probably doesn't get the same economy of scale since they use hundreds of thousands of these where as GM uses millions of them.

Sometimes parts prices pleasantly surprise us... sometimes not!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-17-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:49 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

For good or ill (in the eye of the reader), there is ONE truth that ever was and shall ever be : You get what you pay for.
The following users liked this post:
Sixgun95 (12-24-2018)
Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

first off the only real Porsche is the 911. Everything is for daughters,mistress, and wives.

I sat in a few 911 model cars from the turbo to the base. In my opinion they feel a lot better when comparing to a c7 of any trim.

But to pay 130k for a 911 is just crazy. I would rather go F type R, or aston martin.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:24 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by anjdog2003
I've owned both and worked for both companies. The corvette is by far the best bang for the buck, but the Porsche is far superior in build quality.
Before i would by a New Corvette, i'd look at a low milage pre-owned 911 Turbo or 911S. The 911S with the PDK transmission which started in 2009. The Turbo would probably be a 2007.
Pretty much this ^^^

Chip

Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
first off the only real Porsche is the 911. Everything is for daughters,mistress, and wives.

I sat in a few 911 model cars from the turbo to the base. In my opinion they feel a lot better when comparing to a c7 of any trim.

But to pay 130k for a 911 is just crazy. I would rather go F type R, or aston martin.
I had an 06 Boxster S and everyone kept saying it was the car you buy if you can't afford a 911. Then I bought an 08 911 S to see what all the fuss was about. It was a nice car, but I found that it wasn't nearly as fun to drive as the Boxster as the 2nd worse place to put an engine is behind the rear axle. It's tough to beat the handling and steering feel of a mid-engine car (I'm anxious to test drive the mid engine Corvette C8.) So then I traded my 911 S for a 2012 Boxster S. It was my favorite of the three Porsches to drive on a curvy road even though it is known as "the car you get your daughter / mistress wife". The only thing that car was missing to be perfect was big power. In my opinion, the perfect Porsche would be based on the Boxster Cayman mid-engine platform, yet have 911 turbo power. RUF agrees as this is pretty much what the RUF CT3 Clubsport is. They start with a Boxster / Cayman mid-engine platform then they add a turbo Mezger making 777hp, and they top it off with the classic 911 round lights. I'd take a CT3 over a 911 turbo in a heart beat.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

^^^ The cayman and boxster are the bitch car of Porsche. Cant afford a 911? get a corvette

I dont know what you are trying to prove with those pictures. that a cayman CAN look cool with 100k-500k in mods?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-17-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Here is your answer: The 911 has a better quality interior, but definitely not $40k better. Corvettes still need better seats. There is no reason for a Mustang, Camaro, GTI, etc should have better seats than a corvette. The rest of the corvette interior is good enough to warrant the price.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 01-17-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I for one have no objections to the current Corvette seats. What do you not like about them?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by OrioleFan
I am debating now between a Stingray and a Boxster S, Cayman S, or base 911.

Reading the car magazines they always rave about Porsche build quality. I find car magazines problematic slightly because they drive a brand new car for a day or two rather than living with a car, for the most part. I'm just wondering how true Porsche build quality is. I have also heard nightmares about Porsche.

I have never owned, driven, or ridden in a Porsche so I have no idea how it compares to the Vette in terms of quality.

Keep in mind, this question is only about build quality rather than performance quality between the two brands.
Porsche has good fit and finish - a bit better than the Vette but not that much different. Definitely not enough better to overcome the fact you have to drive the Porsches like you're pissed at them, to get anything out of them.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I for one have no objections to the current Corvette seats. What do you not like about them?
I agree!

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality

Old 01-17-2017, 08:02 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx

Aston? I think you jumped up a few pegs.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:15 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
I have owned many 911's and other Porsche's. They have all been fantastic. Bought a 17 GS because it will only be a weekend car and I maybe will put 2k miles a year on it. The Corvette has a long way to go to even be in the same realm as Porsche in regard to build quality. My new GS already has issues that need to be addressed and it only has 120 miles on it. My 2013 427 Vert was so bad that I can't believe I took another chance and bought another one.

The worst thing about having problems is the quality of service you receive from most Chevy dealers. If they fix your issue the first time and not damage your car in the process consider yourself lucky!
What issues are you having?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Just looked at a CPO 2 yr old black 911 4S Cabriolet with bunch of options. MSRP was $140k, dealer will "let it " for $94k.

They offered me $42k for my '13 GS coupe with 6000 miles.

So for my immaculate Vette and only $52,000 I can get a Porsche 911.

In reality, I don't know how the sales staff can keep a straight face.

I can afford the Porsche, but the cost to change is insanity.

"Ya gotta pay to play"

Quick Reply: Porsche build quality vs Corvette build quality