Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added rim stripes

Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Skidplate
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Added rim stripes

Finally got around to installing some rim stripes on my BS coupe.
An adjustable plastic installation tool is an available option. There is no way I could have installed the 1/4" tape on a circular surface without it. I did have to add a small shim to the install tool to get the tape away from the very edge of the rim.

The kit came with six sticky-back metallic silver (#004) stripes which yields two spares to practice with. I did need practice. I recommend two people to install - one to precisely manipulate the tape dispensing tool and another to slowly rotate the wheel and give encouragement that you are doing it correctly. You have to tip the install tool slightly as the rim edge face has a slight angle (it is not parallel to the side of the car).

Due to shadows, the photos may appear to show the stripes not evenly spaced from the edge but that is an anomaly of the photo. Spinning the wheels shows them to be truly circular and centered.

The front wheels can be jacked up and easily rotated and the rears can be rotated with the car in neutral.

The tape is available in a wide variety of colors and three widths (1/8, 1/4 and 3/8").

After we finished, we installed some red stripes on my friends TR coupe. It looked killer. Pictures added.

I'm not sure if I can post where I bought them since they don't appear to be a site sponsor. If someone will clarify that for me I will edit this post to add the source info.

UPDATE: I purchased the stripes and tool from Tapeworks http://tapeworks.com/auto/corvette.html. For Corvette, be sure to order the length for Big Rims (up to 24").

Sample installation video HERE

I contacted Tapeworks and they sent color samples.

UPDATE

The manufacturer visited a Corvette dealer to verify rim stripe color matching and provided the following:

The Corvette Color Page
http://tapeworks.com/auto/corvette.html

2015 Corvette paint chip colors Color Name
Tapeworks Match Rimstripe # Tapeworks Color Code Rimstripe Webstore Link (Be sure to choose BIG RIM when ordering)

GM: WA400Y PPG: 937607 Shark Gray
Very Close 6114 114 Metallic Carbon Charcoal http://store.tapeworks.com/6114.aspx

GM: WA408Y PPG: 939167 Daytona Sunrise Orange
Close 6007 007 Metallic Burnt Orange http://store.tapeworks.com/6007.aspx
Close 6160 160 Reflective Burnt Orange http://store.tapeworks.com/6160.aspx

GM: WA135X PPG: 935602 Laguna Blue
A bit Lighter than OEM 6099 099 Bright Blue Metallic http://store.tapeworks.com/6099.aspx

GM: WA136X PPG: 934603 Lime Rock Green
Close - But NOT Metallic 6095 095 Dk Green http://store.tapeworks.com/6095.aspx

GM: WA122V PPG: 933593 Night Race Blue
------------- Nothing yet -------------

GM: WA9567 PPG: 4185 Arctic White
White is White 6028 028 White http://store.tapeworks.com/6028.aspx

GM: WA636R PPG: 919991 Blade Silver
Very Close 6004 004 Metallic Silver http://store.tapeworks.com/6004.aspx

GM: WA8555 PPG: 4337 Black
Black is Black 6026 026 Black http://store.tapeworks.com/6026.aspx

GM: WA300N PPG: 908587 Velocity Yellow
A bit Lighter than OEM 6029 029 Yellow http://store.tapeworks.com/6029.aspx

GM: WA9075 PPG: 4230 Torch Red
EXACT 6032 032 Fire Red http://store.tapeworks.com/6032.aspx
EXACT 6017 017 Reflective Red http://store.tapeworks.com/6017.aspx

GM: WA505Q PPG: 915635 Crystal Red
Close 6005 005 Metallic Red http://store.tapeworks.com/6005.aspx

Tapeworks observations on color matching:
1. Not all colors are going to be an EXACT match when held up against the car paint.
2. We are able to find standard vinyls or produce custom colors that are close and for most customers produce very good results.
3. If the color is pretty close (meaning not 10 shades off or the wrong hue), the fact that the stripes are going on the rim and not on the bodywork, your brain and eyes are quite often fooled and not that discerning.
4. In addition, it can be beneficial to have a slightly lighter color on the rims since brake dust and road dirt will tend to darken them anyway.

Stripe-It-All Installation Tool
http://tapeworks.com/auto/corvette.html

Blade Silver coupe, 1/4" tape, #004 metallic silver

Torch Red coupe, 1/4" tape, #032 fire red, (car owned by member ghermes)

The wheel spokes force the use of the application tool on the outer edge of the rim. A spacer must be added to move the tape away from the extreme edge of the rim.
I added a 0.05" washer and the tape ended up 0.10" from the rim edge. Pick any washer near that dimension and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Skidplate; 03-05-2015 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Updated photo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skidplate For This Useful Post:
6GenVettes (11-04-2016), JonMN (10-31-2016)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 PM
geo2000
CF Senior Member

The black wheels look great with the stripe, well done
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Ernest_T
CF Senior Member

Looks good, I'm thinking of red.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM
-CM-
CF Senior Member

Nice touch.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
dvilin
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,994 Posts

Looks great.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Bigdgpa
CF Member

PM me I'm interested. Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 PM
old stingray
CF Senior Member

Look good.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
wayles
CF Senior Member

You're right about the tool. It's definitely necessary to get good placement of the tape. I had to add a shim also to keep the tape off the edge.

I haven't finished mine yet. I was planning to remove one wheel at a time and thoroughly clean it, set it on a table, add the stripe, seal the wheel and re-install. Then on to the next one. Unfortunately, when I installed my first stripe I found I had the wrong size and the tape ran out 3" from meeting. Had to peal it all off, and believe me, that's a chore.

Ordered the tape for large wheels but the weather turned cold and snowy so I guess I'll have to wait a month or so and try again.

By the way, nice job on your wheels. They look great.
The Following User Says Thank You to wayles For This Useful Post:
Fourtrax250R (11-14-2016)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Skidplate
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wayles View Post
You're right about the tool. It's definitely necessary to get good placement of the tape. I had to add a shim also to keep the tape off the edge.

I haven't finished mine yet. I was planning to remove one wheel at a time and thoroughly clean it, set it on a table, add the stripe, seal the wheel and re-install. Then on to the next one. Unfortunately, when I installed my first stripe I found I had the wrong size and the tape ran out 3" from meeting. Had to peal it all off, and believe me, that's a chore.

Ordered the tape for large wheels but the weather turned cold and snowy so I guess I'll have to wait a month or so and try again.

By the way, nice job on your wheels. They look great.
Thanks. I found it to be easier to install the tape with the wheel installed on the car. It takes two people but with one person turning the wheel slowly, the other person can concentrate on holding the tool steady and at the proper angle.

You have to tip the install tool slightly as the rim edge face has a slight angle (it is not parallel to the side of the car).

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,580 Times in 3,140 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You did a great job installing the stripe. Sure makes a difference from an all black wheel.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,551 Posts

Those wheels turned out beautifully!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:59 PM
C6 MoneyPit
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15

Looks great! I just tried the same thing a couple days ago, using the striping tool. It came out pretty good for my first attempt, I was able to get them installed by myself. I used a coulple small washers to shim away fro the edge, same as you did. Nice work!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 AM
Steven Bell
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,125 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15

Very nice.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 AM
VETJAZZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by geo2000 View Post
The black wheels look great with the stripe, well done
Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Skidplate
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Updated first post with source info.

Thanks for the kind comments!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Keith N
CF Senior Member

The wheels look really nice! I purchased the tool and the tape. I'll install when I get my C7 Coupe.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member

That strip really brings the black wheels to life.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM
C6 MoneyPit
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15

Here is the their fluorescent yellow... I asked for samples of the other yellows to see if they might match the velocity yellow better. This one is a little off but still looks pretty good...

Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 AM
cheapthrills
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skidplate View Post
An adjustable plastic installation tool is an available option. There is no way I could have installed the 1/4" tape on a circular surface without it. I did have to add a small shim to the install tool to get the tape away from the very edge of the rim.

The kit came with six sticky-back metallic silver (#004) stripes which yields two spares to practice with. I did need practice. I recommend two people to install - one to precisely manipulate the tape dispensing tool and another to slowly rotate the wheel and give encouragement that you are doing it correctly. You have to tip the install tool slightly as the rim edge face has a slight angle (it is not parallel to the side of the car).

Due to shadows, the photos may appear to show the stripes not evenly spaced from the edge but that is an anomaly of the photo. Spinning the wheels shows them to be truly circular and centered.

The front wheels can be jacked up and easily rotated and the rears can be rotated with the car in neutral.

The tape is available in a wide variety of colors and three widths (1/8, 1/4 and 3/8").

I'm not sure if I can post where I bought them since they don't appear to be a site sponsor. If someone will clarify that for me I will edit this post to add the source info.

After we finished, we installed some red stripes on my friends TR coupe. It looked killer. I'll get him to post a pic.

UPDATE: I purchased the stripes and tool from Tapeworks (google is your friend). For Corvette, be sure to order the length for Big Rims (up to 24").

I found this on the manufacturers website:

There has been a lot of interest in stripes for the new Corvette and we've been looking at matching the colors as close as possible. Some are closer than others, but so far we have a few pretty good matches:

Blade Silver - 004 Silver Metallic
Velocity Yellow - 029 Yellow (a bit lighter than the paint)
Torch Red - 032 Fire Red (exact match!)
Laguna Blue - 099 Bright Blue Metallic
Crystal Red - 005 Metallic Red
Daytona Sunrise Orange - 007 Metallic Orange (exact match!)
Lime Rock Green (2014) - 045 Dark Green

Looks great, what width tape is that?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM
red1996lt4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skidplate View Post

After we finished, we installed some red stripes on my friends TR coupe. It looked killer. I'll get him to post a pic.

UPDATE: I purchased the stripes and tool from Tapeworks (google is your friend). For Corvette, be sure to order the length for Big Rims (up to 24").

I found this on the manufacturers website:

There has been a lot of interest in stripes for the new Corvette and we've been looking at matching the colors as close as possible. Some are closer than others, but so far we have a few pretty good matches:

Blade Silver - 004 Silver Metallic
Velocity Yellow - 029 Yellow (a bit lighter than the paint)
Torch Red - 032 Fire Red (exact match!)
Laguna Blue - 099 Bright Blue Metallic
Crystal Red - 005 Metallic Red
Daytona Sunrise Orange - 007 Metallic Orange (exact match!)
Lime Rock Green (2014) - 045 Dark Green

Excellent. Looks great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added rim stripes

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: