C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomendation for an XPEL installer in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM
bryanh99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recomendation for an XPEL installer in Atlanta?

Hope to pick up my C7Z the first or second week in April. Has anyone gotten XPEL on their car in Atlanta and can recommend an installer? I know I can contact XPEL but would love to hear from someone that actually had it done.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a factory shop in the Atlanta area. PM if you want the run down.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanh99
Hope to pick up my C7Z the first or second week in April. Has anyone gotten XPEL on their car in Atlanta and can recommend an installer? I know I can contact XPEL but would love to hear from someone that actually had it done.
Congrats. I'm in Atlanta too and expecting delivery the end of March. The Xpel factory installer refered to in the other post is in Alpharetta. I'm planning on going there and will update this thread with the results. Just read a post about a TSB recommending not to cover the headlights. I'll update this with the link when I find it.

Found it. Something to consider. I'll need more information before making a decision, but my gut tells me it's better to cover than not cover.

GM (and other manufacturers) have issued TSBs on headlight cracking:

Quote:
The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Warning

Use only lukewarm or cold water, a soft cloth and a car washing soap to clean exterior lamps and lenses.

Care should be taken to not cover headlamps with shop mats or fender covers if the vehicle is being serviced with the headlamps or DRL illuminated. Covering an illuminated lamp can cause excessive heat build up and crazing/deformation of the lens may occur. The degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually become hairline cracks in the lens. In extreme cases, it could cause the lens to deform. This damage can also be caused by aftermarket shields that are often tinted in color.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Notice
Headlamps damaged by chemicals, improper cleaning, or overheating due to being covered are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

Last edited by 9ball1104; 02-25-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I'm also in Atlanta. Picking up my car at the museum on 12/13, trailering it back and plan to take it for Xpel the following week. Still have not actually spoken with the factory shop but that is who I plan to use. Interested in the link to article re not covering headlights.

Another forum member richelu, lives in Roswell, had his done. Can't remember the name of the place he used but they did a great job. Maybe he will chime in.

BJ
Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had mine done at the shop in Alpharetta. Wasn't aware of the headlight TSB and mine are covered.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
Congrats. I'm in Atlanta too and expecting delivery the end of March. The Xpel factory installer refered to in the other post is in Alpharetta. I'm planning on going there and will update this thread with the results. Just read a post about a TSB recommending not to cover the headlights. I'll update this with the link when I find it.

Found it. Something to consider. I'll need more information before making a decision, but my gut tells me it's better to cover than not cover.

GM (and other manufacturers) have issued TSBs on headlight cracking:

Quote:
The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Warning

Use only lukewarm or cold water, a soft cloth and a car washing soap to clean exterior lamps and lenses.

Care should be taken to not cover headlamps with shop mats or fender covers if the vehicle is being serviced with the headlamps or DRL illuminated. Covering an illuminated lamp can cause excessive heat build up and crazing/deformation of the lens may occur. The degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually become hairline cracks in the lens. In extreme cases, it could cause the lens to deform. This damage can also be caused by aftermarket shields that are often tinted in color.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Notice
Headlamps damaged by chemicals, improper cleaning, or overheating due to being covered are not covered under the new vehicle warranty.
I had this very issue with my 2008 Pontiac G8 GT at Hendrick Chevy in Duluth. I had the car in for a major 50,000 mile service and when we picked it up, the drivers headlamp lens had a melted area with spider cracks and crazing. Hendrick replaced the entire headlamp assembly under warranty. We thought the tech spilled some brake fluid or throttle body cleaner on it. Now it is obvious the issue was the fender cover left on while engine was running and apparently covering the lens. They were doing a fuel system cleaning, coolant system drain flush and fill, oil change, brake fluid change, etc. A couple of those would have required running the engine to perform.

Great info, thanks for posting.

BJ
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 AM
VG
Virtual George

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Navy

Xpel Atlanta factory store.
http://xpelatlanta.com/
They usually give 20% off the kits. The are in Alpharetta.

I would suggest SpeedFlim also.
http://www.speedfilm.net/
They are in Roswell and did my car.

Virtual George
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

Best installer in Atl is Derek at Atlanta Protective Films. He did mine as well as several prior vehicles. He does all the work for Ferrari. Exceptional quality.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 AM
MikeMack
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
Best installer in Atl is Derek at Atlanta Protective Films. He did mine as well as several prior vehicles. He does all the work for Ferrari. Exceptional quality.

Derek did mine as well and I'm very pleased with the results. I shopped pricing around Atlanta and central Florida and he beat everyone's price too. His website is www.atlantaprotectivefilms.com and his contact info is on there.

Get notified of new replies

To Recomendation for an XPEL installer in Atlanta?

Quick Reply: Recomendation for an XPEL installer in Atlanta?