Sponsored by:

How to swap C7 floor mat retaining clips

Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts
Default How to swap C7 floor mat retaining clips without removing the carpet

UPDATE: 3/10/2015 - CAUTION The passenger side outboard clip has a group of unbundled wires in the floorboard cavity under the clip.
During installation of the new clips, the cavity necessitates using a narrow screwdriver to guide the bottom portion of the clip under the carpet such that the clip does not hang up on the wires.
Use extreme care using the screwdriver so that you don't snag or damage the wiring. Use a flashlight and take your time.

My Blade Silver C7 3LT has gray interior. I ordered black Lloyd Ultimats because I wanted to add some color contrast to the interior and the factory mats are crap - they are thin and curl up at the edges.

It became obvious the color of retaining clips that secure the mats to the carpet did not match my new mats since I had changed color and this was not a look I was going for.

I decided to swap the clips for the proper color.

I ordered some black retaining clips (2 per side) from my dealer (GM #11611845) for less than $3 each.

Closed clip.

A thin narrow blade flat screwdriver is required to remove the existing clips.

Rock the existing clips back and forth towards the seat and pedals to induce some slack in the carpet such that the back edge (towards the pedals) can be raised.

The latch will be located at the rear of the clip closest to the pedals. Rock the pedal side of the clip up off the carpet and slide the screwdriver tip into the clip and twist to release the plastic latch.
You may want to practice on one of your new clips so you can get a feel for how it releases prior to blindly unclipping the existing ones.

The existing clips can now be carefully pulled from the carpeting and the new clips installed using the same orientation. READ the caution at the top of this post. The new plastic tab is inserted into the thin wide carpet slot nearest the seats and positioned such that the latch under the carpet is under the short fat slot nearest the pedals. A thin screwdriver may be needed to guide the arm of the clip under the carpet. Use caution not to disrupt or damage any wires found in the cavity under the clips. Once the clip are is routed correctly under the carpet, press down firmly to engage the latch. There are cavities under the passenger side clips so firm pressure is required to latch them.

New clips.

New Lloyd mats.

Last edited by Skidplate; 03-11-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: verbage
The following users liked this post:
Todd400 (10-19-2021)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 PM
dealtimeman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
My Blade Silver C7 3LT has gray interior. I ordered black Lloyd Ultimats because I wanted to add some color contrast to the interior and the factory mats are crap - they are thin and curl up at the edges.

It became obvious the color of retaining clips that secure the mats to the carpet did not match my new mats since I had changed color and this was not a look I was going for.

I ordered some black retaining clips (2 per side) from my dealer (GM #11611845) for less than $3 each.

Closed clip.

A thin narrow blade flat screwdriver is required to remove the existing clips.

Rock the existing clips back and forth towards the seat and pedals to induce some slack in the carpet such that the back edge (towards the pedals) can be raised.

The latch will be located at the rear of the clip closest to the pedals. Rock the pedal side of the clip up off the carpet and slide the screwdriver tip into the clip and twist to release the plastic latch.
You may want to practice on one of your new clips so you can get a feel for how it releases prior to blindly unclipping the existing ones.

The existing clips can now be carefully pulled from the carpeting and the new clips installed using the same orientation. The new plastic tab is inserted into the thin wide carpet slot nearest the seats and positioned such that the latch under the carpet is under the short fat slot nearest the pedals. Once the clip are is routed correctly under the carpet, press down firmly to engage the latch. There is a cavity under the drivers side clip nearest the console so firm pressure is required to latch it.

New clips.

New Lloyd mats.

NOTE: I replaced the drivers side clips this evening and will swap the passenger side tomorrow. I expect the process to be similar and will modify this post if that is not the case.
Great write up!!!! One more question though: When I removed the LLoyds mats to treat them with Scotch Guard one of the original GM Carpet clips pulled out accidentally and was attached to the Lloyds mats. I opened the GM clip as you described and pushed it in as described in your demo and it locked to closed position, as you stated. However, the floor area of original carpet seems to be loose in that area, if you raise the LLoyds carpet up. Is the GM clip supposed to snap into a hook/clip on the floor bottom of the car or is it only attached to the carpet?
Heidi
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Great write up!!!! One more question though: When I removed the LLoyds mats to treat them with Scotch Guard one of the original GM Carpet clips pulled out accidentally and was attached to the Lloyds mats. I opened the GM clip as you described and pushed it in as described in your demo and it locked to closed position, as you stated. However, the floor area of original carpet seems to be loose in that area, if you raise the LLoyds carpet up. Is the GM clip supposed to snap into a hook/clip on the floor bottom of the car or is it only attached to the carpet?
Heidi
The clip attaches to the carpet only.

When you said that you opened the clip after it came out of the car still attached to the mat, was the clip actually already snapped closed?

The only way I see that happening is:
a) The clip was not actually under the carpet or
b) The carpet is torn, so the clip has nothing to grab

Last edited by Skidplate; 03-03-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

The clip attaches to the carpet only.

When you said that you opened the clip after it came out of the car still attached to the mat, was the clip actually already snapped closed?

The only way I see that happening is:
a) The clip was not actually under the carpet or
b) The carpet is torn, so the clip has nothing to grab
The GM clip pulled out from under the carpet attached to the LLoyds mat. It was open. When I placed it on the floor to treat the Lloyds mat with Scotch guard and then vacuumed the mat, the clip accidentaly closed on me still attached to the Lloyds mat and I had to pry it open with flat head screw driver before returning Lloyds mat back in car. I just left the GM clip attached to Lloyds mat and inserted it with the mat into original carpet slots. Thanks for your reply
Heidi
Old 03-03-2015, 12:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Nice writeup. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
....... I just left the GM clip attached to Lloyds mat and inserted it with the mat into original carpet slots.
Sounds like the clip was not snapped closed from the factory. Once reinstalled, did you press down firmly on the clip and feel or hear the locking tab snap closed?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Heidemarie
Racer

Sounds like the clip was not snapped closed from the factory. Once reinstalled, did you press down firmly on the clip and feel or hear the locking tab snap closed?
Yes; it is closed now. Thanks again
Heidi
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Added link to this thread in the DIY, FAQ's and TIPS sticky thread.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Updated How to swap C7 floor mat retaining clips to add caution for wires found under clip cavity.

Last edited by Skidplate; 03-10-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added CAUTION to OP.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Great job!

If it was me, I'll just use a black permanent marker...
Old 03-23-2015, 11:26 PM
RedRay15
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Another easy fix is to cut a 2 inch square of black cloth and lay it over the clip post and snap the black mat down. The texture of the cloth blends nicely with the mats. It is easy to replace and to remove if you want to re-install the gray mats.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Great job!

If it was me, I'll just use a black permanent marker...
Damn, you beat me to it. OK, I'd add black tape or touch up paint.

But it was a great write-up.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRay15
Another easy fix is to cut a 2 inch square of black cloth and lay it over the clip post and snap the black mat down. The texture of the cloth blends nicely with the mats. It is easy to replace and to remove if you want to re-install the gray mats.
We really have some ingenious members here. Great idea. No one cussing anyone out and no one complaining. What's become of this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To How to swap C7 floor mat retaining clips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to swap C7 floor mat retaining clips