Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

This will be interesting......
Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 AM
vinnie12345
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Great, Mine has been sitting out in Toledo for a couple weeks waiting for its ride to Las Vegas..
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trust me when it gets 10 below zero outside my un heated Garage gets below 20 degrees inside. I see a class action law suit coming our way. OR a recall on the tires.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-11-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I fully understand why these tires are used on the Corvette. Their grip in warm weather is absolutely phenomenal and they make for great magazine testing. However, putting them on general distribution cars going all over the country and for use in all kinds of weather is stupid. I would say that a huge number of Corvettes are delivered to individuals who might not fully understand or even care about the kind of tires their car carries. Even on this forum, there are very large numbers of first-time buyers. It's not just the cracking that causes concern about these tires. In temperatures below 40°, they have very compromised grip.

In my opinion, the Corvette should be sold with the best possible handling all weather tire as standard equipment and these high performance, soft compound sticky tires as a no cost option, chosen by informed customers who can and will use them properly and safely.

Last edited by Rad22; 03-11-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I fully understand why these tires are used on the Corvette. Their grip in warm weather is absolutely phenomenal and they make for great magazine testing. However, putting them on general distribution cars going all over the country and for use in all kinds of weather is stupid. I would say that a huge number of Corvettes are delivered to individuals who might not fully understand or even care about the kind of tires their car carries. Even on this forum, there are very large numbers of first-time buyers. It's not just the cracking that causes concern about these tires. In temperatures below 40°, they have very compromised grip.

In my opinion, the Corvette should be sold with the best possible handling all weather tire as standard equipment and these high performance, soft compound sticky tires as a no cost option, chosen by informed customers who can and willuse them properly and safely.
it's going to be very interesting to see what GM is going to do about it. No way should this be a standard tire shipped to all climates without at least having a choice to have an all seasons tire installed as a factory option.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 AM
bnall40
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z51s and Z06s are manufactured and sold as "track ready" machines with tires for summer use. That is or should be understood. Problem is most of us wanna-be race car drivers want all the muscle and track features but have few opportunities to put these incredible machines to the test. We do, however, like to show off year round when the sun is out, ... So there is a delima. Interestingly Michelin says take 'em off in winter. Not a very good answer but maybe the only answer. I was especially interested in the comment from a reader in Northen IL who says his unheated garage gets below 20 degrees. Now that is a bummer when ur tires crack sitting around doing nothing!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:20 AM
bnall40
Racer

I also agree with Rad22
Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM needs to ship all the cars with an all-season-radial tire.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM
marliner
Advanced

Default My Z51

Originally Posted by Jontall
My car sat outside the plant in Bowling Green 2 plus weeks waiting for museum delivery, why would GM take the liability of tires cracking, some nights were near zero degrees, what should we lookout for with these tires. JL
Old 03-11-2015, 06:27 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

In my opinion, the Corvette should be sold with the best possible handling all weather tire as standard equipment and these high performance, soft compound sticky tires as a no cost option, chosen by informed customers who can and will use them properly and safely.

I could not agree more. Me, as many new Corvette owners, have no intension of Tracking my car. All Seasons would be the logical choice, with the option of Summer only for the Die Hard Purists...
Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM
RandyC7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
I totally agree as I live in NJ and I ended up replacing the summer tires to the tune of $1400. They happen to be Michelin A/S 3's which are a top rated tire. In fact the car handles so much better, has a quieter ride and no tire hop. The summer tires are in storage and I may not even use them again - what a waste!

Last edited by RandyC7; 03-11-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey guys keep in mind this is a high performance car you can drive from the dealership to the track. It is up to the buyer to do their research before buying. I bought my car and it arrived in January 2014. By the time it arrived I had a second set of wheels and all season tires mounted ready to go. The reason is I did my research and knew what I was buying. Do not blame GM/Chevrolet for something you should have known going in. As mentioned before the summer tires are built for the track not cold below freezing temps. This was not a secret if you did the research on this car before buying.

Last edited by Drive-C7; 03-11-2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 AM
marliner
Advanced

Default Why then

Originally Posted by Drive-C7
Hey guys keep in mind this is a high performance car you can drive from the dealership to the track. It is up to the buyer to do their research before buying. I bought my car and it arrived in January 2014. By the time it arrived I had a second set of wheels and all season tires mounted ready to go. The reason is I did my research and knew what I was buying. Do not blame GM/Chevrolet for something you should have known going in. As mentioned before the summer tires are built for the track not cold below freezing temps. This was not a secret if you did the research on this car before buying.
Why then do they leave them out in sub freezing weather before you can make the change, is damage done already. JL
Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My car sits in an unheated garage that no doubt has gotten below zero this frigid winter. My car has not moved but I am not setup to remove all 4 wheels to bring them indoors. I will be inspecting closely as the temps warm and I move the car.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That would have made more sense and would have given the consumer a choice in what tires to get on the car in the first place.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by marliner
Why then do they leave them out in sub freezing weather before you can make the change, is damage done already. JL
Bingo!!! GM can't even build these cars and get them to the dealerships without cracking the tires. Like Duh!! GM and Michelin have a problem that they must find a solution for and not the buyer.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Blames GM for Cracked Tires

Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

My point is I knew what I was buying going in. I knew these cars may sit out before I got them. Did I like it? No I did not like it but I wanted the car anyway even knowing this.
I was worried because the we were supposed to get 5 inches of snow the day it came in but as it happened the snow came the next day. My point is I was not forced to buy this car. I knew the tire situation prior to buying so I bought all-season tires before the car arrived.
It would have been great to have been offered all-season tires for those of us not tracking the car as an option. It was not available so if you did not like it do not buy the car. Do not sue GM because you did not get offered this or know what you were buying.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

Has GM replaced any of the cracked tires yet?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with rad22. There needs to be a tire choice when you order the car. The buyer has no control of the car until they receive it. Cars shipped from the factory in cold weather may have damaged tires before the owner gets the car. All dealers should be aware of the issue and inform their buyers in advance. The situation as it stands would not bode well for sales in cold winter climates if buyers were so informed. The best solution would be a choice of tires.

Quick Reply: Michelin Blames GM for Cracked Tires