C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone did their own install of the factory stinger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:22 PM
DEEDEEZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone did their own install of the factory stinger?

Just wondering if anyone may have saved the pattern for the GM stinger stripe kit? My neighbor does commercial vinyl wraps, but knowing how I am with this car, does not want to freehand it. He can get me the material at cost and labor is a case of beer. Anyone save the pattern? I will pay postage and return when done.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

many have done it - I had my $145 vettefx stinger installed by a tint shop for $50...just did not have time to mess with it again after messing one up due to the wind catching it...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I ordered on the car with the Z06 this time. I added one to the C7 and it looked like they didn't have C7 to test fit. Didn't fit real well. But like the stinger idea.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:31 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I also bought the $145.00 vettefx stinger. My installation cost me $90, but in my case the tech came out to my house and installed the stinger right in my garage. After watching him do it, I know I could do it myself next time...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:55 PM
dinows33
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 116 Posts

I sent a PM to a member and got this reply just a few minutes ago, would appreciate ant tips, have the decal in the box sitting in the garage

Re: Carbon Flash Hood Decal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinows33
Hi, I inquired about the carbon flash hood decal a few weeks ago and you said you were getting ready to do yours. Did you do it yet and if so how did it come out, any tips I should know. My biggest fear is lining it up properly ??
Thanks Deano
Hello,

It came out like crap and is now a wadded up ball of vinyl. Bubbles were the issue - not alignment. The instructions from the vettefx website state, "....8. When all of the water and bubbles are removed from under the stripe you are done."

I still had bubbles and continued trying to work them out, ultimately stretching and ripping the stripe. I contacted vettefx and he replied:

"If it was just water it would have dried fine. If it's air, it's because there wasn't enough water used. Water will totally evaporate, it may take a couple weeks but it would have dried. If u push on it and it makes a clicking sound then that's air. The small wrinkles would have dried fine as well once it is adhered. It def doesn't have to look perfect when you first install it, just need a little patience to let it dry. Even a pro install will sometimes have a little water left."

So I may have been fine if I had NOT followed the website instructions and left it alone in the sun to dry.

He did send a discounted replacement that I am taking to a local wrap shop today.

I think one of the issues is the mask on top of the stripe (to prevent scratching during installation) was a bit too thick which made it very hard to see small bubbles during installation. When the mask was removed (perhaps a bit too early), many previously unseen bubbles were discovered.

Good luck.

Gary
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM
stngray24
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My custom stinger design

I sent a PM to a member and got this reply just a few minutes ago, would appreciate ant tips, have the decal in the box sitting in the garage

Re: Carbon Flash Hood Decal
Quote:
Hi, I inquired about the carbon flash hood decal a few weeks ago and you said you were getting ready to do yours. Did you do it yet and if so how did it come out, any tips I should know. My biggest fear is lining it up properly ??
Thanks Deano
Hello,

It came out like crap and is now a wadded up ball of vinyl. Bubbles were the issue - not alignment. The instructions from the vettefx website state, "....8. When all of the water and bubbles are removed from under the stripe you are done."

I still had bubbles and continued trying to work them out, ultimately stretching and ripping the stripe. I contacted vettefx and he replied:

"If it was just water it would have dried fine. If it's air, it's because there wasn't enough water used. Water will totally evaporate, it may take a couple weeks but it would have dried. If u push on it and it makes a clicking sound then that's air. The small wrinkles would have dried fine as well once it is adhered. It def doesn't have to look perfect when you first install it, just need a little patience to let it dry. Even a pro install will sometimes have a little water left."

So I may have been fine if I had NOT followed the website instructions and left it alone in the sun to dry.

He did send a discounted replacement that I am taking to a local wrap shop today.

I think one of the issues is the mask on top of the stripe (to prevent scratching during installation) was a bit too thick which made it very hard to see small bubbles during installation. When the mask was removed (perhaps a bit too early), many previously unseen bubbles were discovered.

Good luck.

Gary
I just designed up my own "STINGRAY" stinger and had my local vinyl shop install it. He told me he had to do it twice. The first try ended up in the garbage can also. He said it was not an easy install. But it came out looking awesome. I have pictures, but as this is my first post, I don't know if I can figure out how to put them up.

Thanks, Jim
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM
daytonagary
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stngray24
I just designed up my own "STINGRAY" stinger and had my local vinyl shop install it. He told me he had to do it twice. The first try ended up in the garbage can also. He said it was not an easy install. But it came out looking awesome. I have pictures, but as this is my first post, I don't know if I can figure out how to put them up.

Thanks, Jim
I painted mine. Wouldn't be satisfied with a vinyl application on my vette. Painted it gloss black but carbon flash paint is option too.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM
dinows33
Pro

Originally Posted by daytonagary
I painted mine. Wouldn't be satisfied with a vinyl application on my vette. Painted it gloss black but carbon flash paint is option too.

You should have painted the mirrors while you were at it. I am having mine done at a body shop for 100 each
Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
daytonagary
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have painted the mirrors while you were at it. I am having mine done at a body shop for 100 each
Like the mirrors silver still.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Well done, IMO the painted stinger is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:28 PM
dinows33
Pro

Originally Posted by DEEDEEZ
Just wondering if anyone may have saved the pattern for the GM stinger stripe kit? My neighbor does commercial vinyl wraps, but knowing how I am with this car, does not want to freehand it. He can get me the material at cost and labor is a case of beer. Anyone save the pattern? I will pay postage and return when done.
Thanks
I have one sitting here, but cant give it to you until I install the decal, not sure how long you want to wait
Old 03-31-2015, 01:20 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

I also paid $145 for the VetteFX stinger and installed it myself. As long as you keep it wet so you can move it around, it's easy to get it on there in the right place:

Old 03-31-2015, 05:39 PM
robertbaldwinjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
I also paid $145 for the VetteFX stinger and installed it myself. As long as you keep it wet so you can move it around, it's easy to get it on there in the right place:

Had mine done at a local vinyl shop. Came out good. Used carbon flash to match vent.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Di-ionized water is a must. Also, you need both the sticky side of the decal and the hood area really wet. Make sure it is a fine spray. You can buy sprayers with the correct water at any automotive store that sells window tint. When they tinted my vette, I was almost shocked at how much water they used. Since you're not dealing with edges or curves, this install should be fairly easy if you are patient.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM
pastohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing stinger decal...

Did you put some liquid detergent in the water bottle to spray the total area PLUS the sticky side of the decal ?? A couple of drops should be more than enough ?? just a thought...
Old 04-03-2015, 02:34 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by pastohio
Did you put some liquid detergent in the water bottle to spray the total area PLUS the sticky side of the decal ?? A couple of drops should be more than enough ?? just a thought...
2-3 drops of dawn dish soap and keep applying the spray water/dawn solution until you get the stripe 100% perfect where,you want it. Then just start using the squeegee to affix it permanently.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Vette FX, warm water with a couple of drops of soap, looks like factory. They can be tricky, I had experience on some smaller stripes for the C6 so I think that helped. If you are doubting, any vinyl stripe shop can do it cheap...

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone did their own install of the factory stinger?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonagary
Like the mirrors silver still.

that looks great
Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 PM
fun2fly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They all look fantastic. Other than the painted ones, if for some reason down the road and you no longer wanted the vinyl stripe, is it easy to remove? I'm guessing a tiny bit of heat and some patience would allow for removal?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, heat and patience, no problem.....

Quick Reply: Has anyone did their own install of the factory stinger?