Sponsored by:

How to index windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Default How to index windows?

Unhooked my battery while doing nav install stuff, and now no matter what I do the windows will not index. Tried the instructions in the manual, and also tried instructions in a video where you're supposed to hold the up button with the window closed 2x for 3 seconds each. "Roll driver window down and back up" DIC message does not go away unless canceled and comes right back next time I turn the car on. Is there a trick that I'm missing? If you do get it indexed, does the DIC message go away on its own?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:53 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Once power is restored:
1. Close the doors.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Hold the window switch up to the
fully closed position.

That doesn't work? That's all I had to do to get them re-indexed. I ran 'em up and held the switch for a few seconds and it was done.

Elmer
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Page 2-23 in the 2015 manual.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:05 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

I've tried everything and nothing works. Just unhooked the battery and tried it again from scratch and it simply will not index. I'm afraid I'm gonna burn up window motors if I keep trying. Passenger side is not indexed either but does not complain. Perhaps you get the message for that window once you index the driver's side? Frustrating. Also getting a "top not secure" and manual only message for the vert top. I assume this is because of the indexing, or does it not index because I have to recalibrate something with the top?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:11 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Something seems wrong, I disconnected my battery this winter and went thru this process. After reconnecting the battery the first time I got in it asked me to roll the windows down then up , I believe it was drivers first, then passengers. That was it. I just followed the instructions on the info center. Did you do this responding to the car when it asks via the information center? The car knew to ask me to perform this operation.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Went down to mess with it again only this time I messed with the up down for the convertible. Held it in the up position for a bit and the windows rolled down and it went through the motions of finishing going up even though the top was already up. Got the "done" beep and now everything including the convertible top seems to be working again. I love this car but this thing can be a bit intimidating when things go wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAFFYDRUNK:
dmshipley (09-25-2021), phalse (10-24-2020)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Went down to mess with it again only this time I messed with the up down for the convertible. Held it in the up position for a bit and the windows rolled down and it went through the motions of finishing going up even though the top was already up. Got the "done" beep and now everything including the convertible top seems to be working again. I love this car but this thing can be a bit intimidating when things go wrong.
Glad you got 'er done! I usually revert to the old school method after I get frustrated and smack something!

Elmer
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Glad you got 'er done! I usually revert to the old school method after I get frustrated and smack something!

Elmer
Yea... just start pushing buttons until something happens. When its outta whack the trunk doesn't work either. I thought I blew a fuse or something...
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 AM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer

We called that Brogan Maintenance in the Navy!!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:53 PM
dmshipley
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

This is PRECISELY fixed my issue. I had tried all sorts of combinations of the indexing process so I can't speak to which actually worked because none did until I held the top up button for 3-5 seconds. Then just as described it all worked. I do recall getting a message on the DIC for both the driver and later the passenger but as I said I'm not sure if the car was running or not.

One thing that I found very strange that I hadn't seen mention of was each time I went through the various attempts to index the drivers side I'd get out, lock the vehicle, unlock vehicle and each time the window would index down but not go back up - after 3 or 4 times the window was halfway down at which time I found this post of trying the "top up button" for 3-5 seconds and that was it - thankfully. I did drive the car without indexing fixed and I kept getting the alert chime but there was no error to speak of which was frustrating - seems like a step was missed at some point or perhaps it's something specific to a few vehicles.

Thanks for the tip - I was about to give up for the night which was an excellent evening for top down driving.

​​​​​​Ships

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Old 09-25-2021, 10:14 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 468 Likes on 276 Posts

Weird, my car always prompted me how to index the windows and then they worked fine. It just told me to roll the windows down and back up, boom , that's it, fixed.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:39 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Necro thread of 5 years.

Get notified of new replies

To How to index windows?

Quick Reply: How to index windows?