C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very noticeable orange peel on Shark Grey today.........anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:39 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaPaul
My car (shark grey) was built 4/6/2015 and shipped last week to a courtesy delivery dealership (Bayside Chevrolet) here in southern Maryland from my original purchase at MacMulkin. Hopefully, it will be delivered next week, as it is being trucked, not railed, from the plant.

So today I went over to meet the nice folks at the dealership, introduce myself, and wanted to see what's up. The sales manager, Andy Thompson, was more than helpful, and I was very impressed with his attention to my needs and his very friendly attitude. He was great. He took me for a tour around the entire facility (which is under major renovation and expansion) introduced me to many of the staff, including the C7 mechanic, Mark, and went out of his way to be a wonderful host. I was very impressed with the attention I received.

Andy also took me back to the service bay where they were PDI'ing a (coincidentally) a new shark gray C7 which they had in stock. The car was beautiful, and looked great with the dark, transparent roof, which I didn't order, but will after delivery of mine.

My problem, and certainly not the dealerships doing, was that under the florescent lights of the service bay, I immediately noted a great deal of orange peel around the rear shoulders by the vents and along the upper rear next to the hatch. Very disturbing, and something I am now dreading to find on my car which will be here in a few days.

I guess my question is several fold.

# 1: Have any/many of you with shark gray noticed a great deal of orange peel, in general?

Pretty sure my SGM has some, but I took delivery in the sunlight. My car looked great.

#2: Could the lighting in the service bay exacerbate and emphasize any existing orange peel?

Most certainly some lighting brings out the worst in paint jobs. Angles also can display paint imperfections. I try not to look for things wrong with my car's paint. I'd wager, if I took the time, I could spot orange peel , but I choose to look at my car as a whole, and find it quite pleasing to my eye. Based on the number of "thumbs up" I get from passer-byes and other drivers, it must look reasonably nice to them also.

#3: Is it possible that in natural light what I observer might be less noticeable?

As I mentioned, I'm confident mine has the same flaws some owners rail against. In the sunlight (where my car usually resides when driving), looks perfectly fine to me. My guess, any flaws your car's paint will be less noticeable in direct sunlight or normal daylight then under artificial lighting.

Anybody with shark gray please chime in. I really would appreciate your experiences with this issue. Or maybe a non-issue if this car I saw today was a one off.

Thanks in advance.

Alaskapaul

Disclaimer:

To be clear, I'm not a perfectionist and do not expect anything that is man made to be. I also realize each of has a tolerance for different things in life. If automotive paint perfection is a person's "fish-hook in the skin", then a Corvette should not be their car of choice.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

To be clear, those of us who have the c7 that don't have orange peel are in the category of those not looking for it...I looked at more than 50 and I didn't see any...nor have I seen one since that didn't have it...unless the owner corrected it.

Mine has it on every panel but the portions of the car I suspect are not painted by GM at the factory, the tops and the spoiler seem to be the biggest offenders...well and the vertical panels are pretty bad...so there goes that theory...

Therefore I conclude don't look for orange peel....and the paint is great.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I never knew what orange peel was until I got my SG C7. I looked it up, then looked at my car in a new way, yep it got OP in several areas. Seems to me the roof and hood (carbon fiber parts) are better then the rest of the car. It's not that bad until you notice it and look for it but it's clearly there. The 3 cheap Fords we have as well as an older Ram truck have zero OP. I had wondered if it had to do with being fiberglass but really don't know.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine's got it .. it's not terrible, but a real shame for this kind (and price) of car to not have great paint. I've also got an '02 Z06 and its paint is FAR better than the C7. I love my C7 and am willing to live with the crappy paint ... but the big shots at GM must have their heads up their butts to not do something about this. Just about ANY other late model car on the road will have a better paint job. It's a shame. Hope yours is better than average...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted this thread after a visit to my local dealer recently. These were cars in the showroom. You must look at the videos full screen to appreciate the paint issues...although I'm not fully convinced it's all paint. I firmly believe some if not most of the problem is in the composite and lack of prep of a naturally wavy surface.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dy-issues.html

Quick Reply: Very noticeable orange peel on Shark Grey today.........anybody else?