I'm a Porsche Guy who loves the new Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

[QUOTE=baege;1589443348]
Originally Posted by nmvettec7
I currently own 3 sports cars. All decidely different from each other.

Interesting how much smaller the 981 looks next to the C7 in the picture.

Would you say that the C7 feels and drives like a noticeably bigger car than the 981?
My answer to your question is "yes". The Porsche Cayman 981 is a smaller vehicle. Handling is great. The C7 looks and feels like a bigger car.

The look of the C7 is much more a European style, and has a much better look than the Porsche and I believe appeals better to the sports car enthusiast. In fact many people that see the C7 have made the remark to me that the C7 looks very Italian and some think it has the Ferarri styling.

But when you put the Jaguar, Corvette, and Porsche together as in my photo, they all look pretty darn nice. All 3 have distinctly different lines to the body style. And really, who doesn't like a nice body style!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmoney61
I am also a Vette newbie and Porsche refugee. I was ready to trade my '05 Porsche on a 2012 911 Turbo when a red C7 caught my eye in front of a dealership. Took that model for a test drive and I was sold. I realized I felt a significant level of pride that an American built car had achieved world class status. I also felt happy that my money was supporting American families and businesses.

People's reactions to the two cars are interesting as well. Other drivers are far more aggressive toward Porsche/BMW drivers. Simple highway merging felt like a competition. It's a completely different experience in a Vette. I've had more people happily wave me through in the last few weeks than I can recall in years of Porsche driving. Every stop at a gas station or store draws a crowd of backslappers or, at minimum, slow drive-bys with thumbs up. I haven't quite figured this out yet, but it seems like a Porsche makes people feel you are a get-rich-quick jerk, while the Vette suggests you are a regular guy who worked hard and is living the dream. It's interesting.
I'm not a show off type of guy and have veered away from the typical high profile sports cars like Porsche/BMW. I was concerned when I decided WTF I'm not getting any younger who cares if people think I'm a jerk. As you state it's just the opposite with the C7 "the Vette suggests you are a regular guy who worked hard and is living the dream." that seems to rap it up perfectly, people seem to really love the car without any negative connotations.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've owned Corvettes all my life except when I was stationed overseas. Ironically, although I loved the look of the C7 when she came out and I was 95% sure I would get one.....I decided to take a look at the BMW and Porsche.

Bottomline up front: If wifey wouldn't throw a fit, I'd have one of each. Loved both the 535i and the Cayman S......but at the end of the day I couldn't turn away from the C7. It's a magnificent car....especially for the $$$'s. Let me rephrase that....I "think" the C7 is a magnificent car..... TPW of 4/27. I'll have her in my garage in 3-4 weeks.....and then I'll know for sure.

Nice to hear comments from previous Porsche and Beamer owners. All are very, very nice cars..... Just really pleased to know GM has developed a competitive world class sports car, at a very reasonable price point.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I'm not a show off type of guy and have veered away from the typical high profile sports cars like Porsche/BMW. I was concerned when I decided WTF I'm not getting any younger who cares if people think I'm a jerk. As you state it's just the opposite with the C7 "the Vette suggests you are a regular guy who worked hard and is living the dream." that seems to rap it up perfectly, people seem to really love the car without any negative connotations.
I'm sorry but a Corvette does not say that at all (except perhaps in LA, Miami, and NY where anything below a Ferrari is just a normal sighting). A BMW is as ubiquitous as a Honda Accord these days. And the M version is hardly even noticed by anyone outside of the 2% car enthusiast.

A Corvette is viewed in the same way as a Porsche.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Indiancent
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Entman,
I just bought my C7 from Kerbeck, it should be in route next week. I own three 356's and a 08 Boxter and had maybe two dozen Porsches before that. I am still a Porsche fan but trading my Boxster for a new 911 cab just couldn't get me motivated.
I was looking or EXCITEMENT and the C 7 has it!
I broke the news of my new purchase to the other P guys and so far there hasn't been one that hasn't said "Wow, that looks awesome....I want a ride in it".
So, I am looking forward to the first drive.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of Porsche lovers cross shopping/buying the C7 now,
It is a well received car on Rennlist....
The C5/6 was respected for bang for the buck, and track performance,
but not looked at as a high end GT car, it now is.

Quick Reply: I'm a Porsche Guy who loves the new Stingray