Sponsored by:

Long Trip...Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Long Trip...Two Questions

Hey All, I will soon be taking a drive from northern Michigan to western Montana. I will be in the car for a week.

First question. What do I need to take. I am planning on taking a tire plug kit, 12 volt air pump, and putting on locking lug nuts for security. What else do I need?

Second question. How do I wash the C7 while on the road? Don't wanna scratch it. What best to dry it with?

Thanks, Boucherman
Attached Images     
Old 04-17-2015, 08:15 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I recognize the pictures from your posting the day you brought the car home. I bet your glad the winter is about over.
I used to drive from Great Falls to Detroit quite often when I was a kid stationed there in the Air Force. It is a LONG drive around 17/1800 miles.
I haven't driven my C7 on any trips yet, but I did drive my C6 GS several times from DTW to ATL. I bought a slime kit with pump included on amazon for only 30 bucks or so and threw that in the back. With the RF tires I'm not too worried about flats (I did have a nail in the back tire of my C6 and other than the limp mode the car drove fine) but the slime and pump together will get you a bit farther without wrecking TPMS.
Wheel locks? I've got them on my car and figure it will only keep the kids from stealing them; the pros will hardly notice the slow down.
I wouldn't anticipate you will have any problems and it sounds like a great road trip. Have fun
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry I forgot about the wash question.
On my ATL trips, a lot of the truck stops and big service centers have brush-less car washes. Just take a quick peek before you pay to make sure it doesn't have the steel guide tracks -- CAN'T use them they will trash your wheels and undercarriage. The self drive through where you drive in and the machine sprays around and over the car actually work quite well. Just a note: If you use the brush-less washes don't worry about steam coming out of the hood vent when you're done. The high pressure water gets in there during the rinse cycle and drains down to the bottom of the radiator. It takes a few minutes of driving to dry out.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can check out this thread for rinseless wash techniques. It's very fast and easy but does require a bucket. I'm not sure how well that would work on a trip. If you do use this and have a lot of debris on the car, I would suggest hitting it with a high pressure hose first at a self serve car wash.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seriously.html
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just get in you car and go. We do long trips in our Corvette. Last year one was 7,500 miles. Maintain you Corvette properly, check the fluids and get in the car and just go.

We take a little detail kit with window washer, tire dressing, and car detail spray. We also take a couple of wet wash cloth in a baggie for emergency cleans and bug removal. We research our stops and look for a self wash car wash with a wand at overnight stays.

Most important is just enjoy the ride!!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

For our Route 66 trip we took the VIAR 12volt pump with a 12 volt extension cord, Dynaplug Pro plug kit and a 20 oz. can of Slime. A toasted sensor is sacrificial in those situations. I took 2 new, artificial chamois, a bunch of good microfibre towels, California duster, and some shop towels. I bought a bunch of the cheap terry towels along the way at one of the discount auto stores and tossed them after use. The worst the car looked was in Oklahoma to New Mexico running into (literally) a plague of grasshoppers. We got a couple of rock dings, and a crowd whenever we stopped. One of the best road trips of my life.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I never take any tools or tire repair kits (that is one of the benefits of run flats), remember, you have a new car. Washing; small bucket and detail supplies should do and keep the car presentable. Have fun!!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

We are doing an NCM trip this summer.

I was told to wash my c7 with only distilled angel tears and dry it off with Hiedi Klum's panties (or in a pinch, Giselle Bundchen's if you can stand the New England Patriot germs, as her panties may be more readily available in Kentucky)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I never take any tools or tire repair kits (that is one of the benefits of run flats), remember, you have a new car. Washing; small bucket and detail supplies should do and keep the car presentable. Have fun!!!!
Agree. For our Route 66 trip I took some quick detailer, lots of cotton towels and an air pump. Used the self serve car washes frequently. Have fun!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:34 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
For our Route 66 trip we took the VIAR 12volt pump with a 12 volt extension cord, Dynaplug Pro plug kit and a 20 oz. can of Slime. A toasted sensor is sacrificial in those situations. I took 2 new, artificial chamois, a bunch of good microfibre towels, California duster, and some shop towels. I bought a bunch of the cheap terry towels along the way at one of the discount auto stores and tossed them after use. The worst the car looked was in Oklahoma to New Mexico running into (literally) a plague of grasshoppers. We got a couple of rock dings, and a crowd whenever we stopped. One of the best road trips of my life.
Looks like the Novistretch bra would have been useful. I used one on mine for my recent trip from AZ to WA. Didn't hit any grasshopper infestations but it still stopped quite a few bugs. Probably saved some dings as well but no proof of that.

I also bought the Discount Tire road hazard insurance before leaving. Figured that and my AAA card would get me through most problems. Trip was problem free fortunately.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car

I take a couple regular 3,000 to 4,000 mile trips a year and do the same thing.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:04 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want to save yourself hours of cleaning off bugs and would like to avoid some stone chips in your grill I would purchase a C7 Corvette Stingray NoviStretch Front Bumper Mask, these take minutes to install and remove and are a great item for trips.

RPI is a forum dealer and great folks to work with and they have them.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=4854

When they get dirty you just shake them out and wash them in the motel sink and hang them out to dry.

Yes they will stop stones and yes they will fit over a splitter

Last edited by pkadams; 04-17-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I do about 8,000-10,000 miles each year on road trips in my Z06. I carry a 10"X12" plastic 6" tall step stool (my knees don't allow me to squat to clean wheels, etc) to sit on that I found at Walmart. I have a square plastic pail(that fits in the inverted stool) that I place my spray Windex, bottle of car wash, spray detailer, two wash mitts(one for the painted body and an old worn out one for the wheels and wheel wells) a couple of old small towels(to clean the windshield etc while stopping for gas). I also carry around 5-6 old 100% cotton towels(large) and a plastic bag to throw the wet towels in. Takes up very little room in the back of the car. If I need to, I rinse the mitts and I dry them and the towels at the motel, using their coin dryer.

If you're short on space, don't take the stool or the bucket(use the plastic wastepaper basket from your motel room). If you don't take your own bucket, be sure to put the bottles of liquids in a plastic bag so they won't leak(as you gain altitude going west, the liquid will seep out of the bottles.

Many motels will have a outside spigot and hose and if you ask them nice, will let you use it to wash your car but some can be horse's ***(lady at a Quality Inn said no way, until a twenty passed her palm, and we then washed a couple Corvettes, a 350Z and a Porsche in front of the motel entrance). I also do a google maps on car washes(not auto drive thru's) in the towns where I'll be staying overnight. If I use a car wash, I put some rinse water in my bucket with my car wash and then turn the wash to soak and spray the car good. Then I let it soak and using my mitt, wash the car. Then I plug in some more quarters and rinse the car. Then I wash it again with my bucket and my soap and then rinse. Then using my old towels, wipe it down. I try and do that early in the morning, when other people are still in bed, so I'm not rushed at the car wash. Then I go back to the motel, shower, eat breakfast, checkout, and drive another 500 miles.

If all I have is bugs on the front when I check into the motel, I'll try and park the car where the front is in the shade(or at least not facing the sun). Later, after dinner, I'll get my plastic stool out, with my Windex, and clean the bugs off the front using one of the small old towels, then I do a quick detail spray on the front of the car. I use the Windex and the old towel to clean the brake dust off my chromes also. The bugs get cleaned off EVERY evening, even if I wash the car the next morning.

I do get some strange looks. I was staying at one of the cabins in Yellowstone Park, next to Old Faithful, cleaning my bugs off after dinner, and people walking by going to see Old Faithful, sure gave me some funny looks, but a lot of them will comment on my car, and are seriously interested in car. One lady in her 40's(Japanese, I think) stopped and talked with me while her husband and son(around 10 or 11 YO) went on. She knew enough English that we could communicate and she was highly knowledgeable about the Corvette. She said they had stopped at Bowling Green and did the factory tour and visited the NCM(and Mammoth Cave N.P.) while they were out hitting all the National Parks across the US. I bet that she has seen more of America then most American citizens, who have lived here all their life.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I would not worry about bugs.

Too early in the season for them.

I just get in the car and drive. We put 11K on ours last summer, mostly trips.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Novistretch FTW
Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Novistretch FTW
Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I do about 8,000-10,000 miles each year on road trips in my Z06. I carry a 10"X12" plastic 6" tall step stool (my knees don't allow me to squat to clean wheels, etc) to sit on that I found at Walmart. I have a square plastic pail(that fits in the inverted stool) that I place my spray Windex, bottle of car wash, spray detailer, two wash mitts(one for the painted body and an old worn out one for the wheels and wheel wells) a couple of old small towels(to clean the windshield etc while stopping for gas). I also carry around 5-6 old 100% cotton towels(large) and a plastic bag to throw the wet towels in. Takes up very little room in the back of the car. If I need to, I rinse the mitts and I dry them and the towels at the motel, using their coin dryer.

If you're short on space, don't take the stool or the bucket(use the plastic wastepaper basket from your motel room). If you don't take your own bucket, be sure to put the bottles of liquids in a plastic bag so they won't leak(as you gain altitude going west, the liquid will seep out of the bottles.

Many motels will have a outside spigot and hose and if you ask them nice, will let you use it to wash your car but some can be horse's ***(lady at a Quality Inn said no way, until a twenty passed her palm, and we then washed a couple Corvettes, a 350Z and a Porsche in front of the motel entrance). I also do a google maps on car washes(not auto drive thru's) in the towns where I'll be staying overnight. If I use a car wash, I put some rinse water in my bucket with my car wash and then turn the wash to soak and spray the car good. Then I let it soak and using my mitt, wash the car. Then I plug in some more quarters and rinse the car. Then I wash it again with my bucket and my soap and then rinse. Then using my old towels, wipe it down. I try and do that early in the morning, when other people are still in bed, so I'm not rushed at the car wash. Then I go back to the motel, shower, eat breakfast, checkout, and drive another 500 miles.

If all I have is bugs on the front when I check into the motel, I'll try and park the car where the front is in the shade(or at least not facing the sun). Later, after dinner, I'll get my plastic stool out, with my Windex, and clean the bugs off the front using one of the small old towels, then I do a quick detail spray on the front of the car. I use the Windex and the old towel to clean the brake dust off my chromes also. The bugs get cleaned off EVERY evening, even if I wash the car the next morning.

I do get some strange looks. I was staying at one of the cabins in Yellowstone Park, next to Old Faithful, cleaning my bugs off after dinner, and people walking by going to see Old Faithful, sure gave me some funny looks, but a lot of them will comment on my car, and are seriously interested in car. One lady in her 40's(Japanese, I think) stopped and talked with me while her husband and son(around 10 or 11 YO) went on. She knew enough English that we could communicate and she was highly knowledgeable about the Corvette. She said they had stopped at Bowling Green and did the factory tour and visited the NCM(and Mammoth Cave N.P.) while they were out hitting all the National Parks across the US. I bet that she has seen more of America then most American citizens, who have lived here all their life.
Thanks all, for the good advice.

Last edited by Boucherman; 04-17-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Trip...Two Questions

Old 04-17-2015, 09:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well-written, JoeC5! I'm gonna copy and save it for my next trip. Don't know if I'll have a seat and bucket, but maybe some of the other stuff, and the planning ahead for a carwash!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Just did Seattle to Philly and return. Took along my std detailing kit and hit a high pressure pull in wash in KC. But that still was not as thorough as I could or should have been.

The way the weather has been of late, I think it is a loosing proposition until you get back home.

As far as tire "stuff", nothing. I had roadside assist if required and had no problems in any case.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the moment.

Last edited by vettman96; 04-17-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Novistrech bra, 2 waffle weave microfiber towels and a pocket full of quarters is all I ever pack. Plenty of self serve car washes and everything else can be remedied with a cell phone call.

Quick Reply: Long Trip...Two Questions