Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for first time buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:03 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I just ordered my first vette and had a similar predicament as you.

I am a very "spirited" driver and cannot rule out a track/auto cross day in the future. I'll never be a regular at the track but I can imagine myself doing it once just for the experience.

Anyways if you read and watch most of the reviews there are two things that significantly affect the feel and performance of the vehicle.
1. Electronic differential
2. Stabilizer bars - The base has some body roll that most say is cleaned up nicely with stabilizer bars.

You get neither of those things on a base C7.

So at first I thought I would order a C7, get the ZF1 appearance package, NPP exhaust (sound and more HP), and paint the calipers (dont want grey). Then after taking delivery I would put the stabilizer bars on myself.

Well by the time you price out those options, buy the stabilizer bars yourself, and either pay someone to install them or do it yourself you are withing spitting distance of just getting the Z51 package and having this stuff taken care of from the get go.

So I ended up getting the Z51 package and it cost me just over $1k more.
The Z51 also gets me so much more. More aggressive gear ratios, bigger slotted brakes, working cooling ducts, dry sump oil system, etc...

Happy with my 1LT Z51 choice. I looked at a 2LT but for $4k+ I was not impressed with the minor extras in features you get especially since most of those features I did not care about anyways. Only big thing I want is the homelink visor which can be had for $110 bucks and installed in seconds.

Last edited by TennisFreak; 04-17-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I agree, when I bought mine, delivered in October 2013, the Z51 model was only $2800 extra! Couldn’t believe that cost with: bigger wheels and rear spoiler, added rear roll bar, 46 vs 35 mm shocks (non mag shocks) trans and differential cooler, bigger brakes, slotted rotors and the new eLSD, which is a very sophisticated computer managed traction control. Had a Z51 ’08 and ’93 with HD suspension (with mag shocks) and an ’87 with HD suspension so the Z51 was an absolute must have for me.
However it was so cheap and some folks who liked the bigger wheels and added spoiler opted for it. Unlike yourself, they had no idea the dry sump took a very special procedure to check the oil level, the tires are more track designed and from forum comments (and my experience) have more of a cold performance “chatter issue.” Both no problem for me. Also the brake dust is very heavy, I even changed my pads to Carbotech 1521’s, great product, solved the problem.

My suggestion for a ZF1 for those who like the looks is it avoids what I consider minor issues with a dry sump, brake dust, etc but some consider major! Sounds like you’ll take full advantage of the Z51 extra’s, best of luck!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 182 Posts

OK, well pardon my ignorance, but what are the major differences between the 1LT and 2LT?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
OK, well pardon my ignorance, but what are the major differences between the 1LT and 2LT?
Look at any of the list of options, here's one:
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-st...ecs/trims.html
For me it's the added HUD, memory seats, added sub woofer, home remote (if you'd like a switch to open your garage door,) seat adjusments, heated seats, auto dim rear view mirror. There are more look at the list.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
I wont be taking it to the track, but I am a VERY spirited driver

That being said, I still have my older CTS for 'everyday' driving if I want to be comfortable
I don't track my C7 either. I'm also a very spirited driver and love my NON Z51 1LT. The performance exhaust is a must have! I also got the Z51 spoiler, black wheels, red break calipers as well. My car has a little over 6k in options.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

^^ thats a beautiful car!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:30 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

So for everyone that has 'built' a corvette on the website then purchased new, what pricing did you get??

How much less than the MSRP that is quoted on the site?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM111er
If your going to resell the vette at some point, you'll get your money back with the Z51 package. I've seen where reviews state the Z51 package is one of the best values in cars.

Quick Reply: Advice for first time buyer?