C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will there be a price increase for the 2016 C7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:14 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Will there be a price increase for the 2016 C7?

I'm not exactly sure of the history of the C7 pricing. It debuted at about $51,000 (wow) and now sits at $55,000 for a base coupe. I think I remember the 2015 models debuting with no increase for the base coupe but something like $1000 for the Z51 coupe.

-What are your opinions on the possibility of a price increase for the 2016 base model?
-If it does increase, by how much do you think it will?
-When is pricing usually revealed for the new model year?

Last edited by docprego; 04-17-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

While I have no concrete information to make a projection, I would say "yes" there is a good chance that GM will increase the pricing of the C7.

My thoughts are based on the popularity of the vehicle, feedback on the appearence, and the liklihood that GM has a continued winner with this model.

The US economy continues to grow, albeit a slow pace, and the C7 has been highly recognized by auto industry enthusiasts for many aspects of the C7.

The one aspect of increased sales for GM on this model, has to be a correction or overhaul of the allocation, constraints and order system from dealers.

It appears that many potential purchasers have been frustrated over the problem of allocation and constraints. I being one as I ended up buying from an existing dealership inventory but had to make a few sacrfices of what I really wanted in the C7 if I would have ordered it from Bowling Green.

GM needs to provide a product that the individual can configure and get what they want. While I don't know what the percentage of sales come from custom orders vs C7 sales off a dealership lot, it would make sense for GM to customize there order flow to so that the potential purchaser can order the car that they want without making sacrifices of adding options and colors.

I am not sure how they can work out the order flow and logistics to meet all combinations, buy that would be an aspect of the order flow that I would concentrate on, which certainly would result in higher sales.

There can be no doubt that GM delivers a great value for what the consumer gets with this vehicle.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days to week when the NCM bash takes place.

Added: I don't think a $1000 price increase on the Stingray model will dampen sales. The current demographics of the new C7 Corvette owner would suggest they are baby boomer generation, or slightly older, retired or close to retirement, and have the bucks $$$ to spend to buy this sports car.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 04-18-2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added text:
Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
While I have no concrete information to make a projection, I would say "yes" there is a good chance that GM will increase the pricing of the C7.

My thoughts are based on the popularity of the vehicle, feedback on the appearence, and the liklihood that GM has a continued winner with this model.

The US economy continues to grow, albeit a slow pace, and the C7 has been highly recognized by auto industry enthusiasts for many aspects of the C7.

The one aspect of increased sales for GM on this model, has to be a correction or overhaul of the allocation, constraints and order system from dealers.

It appears that many potential purchasers have been frustrated over the problem of allocation and constraints. I being one as I ended up buying from an existing dealership inventory but had to make a few sacrfices of what I really wanted in the C7 if I would have ordered it from Bowling Green.

GM needs to provide a product that the individual can configure and get what they want. While I don't know what the percentage of sales come from custom orders vs C7 sales off a dealership lot, it would make sense for GM to customize there order flow to so that the potential purchaser can order the car that they want without making sacrifices of adding options and colors.

I am not sure how they can work out the order flow and logistics to meet all combinations, buy that would be an aspect of the order flow that I would concentrate on, which certainly would result in higher sales.

There can be no doubt that GM delivers a great value for what the consumer gets with this vehicle.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days to week when the NCM bash takes place.
I've been waiting for the Bash for months to finally hear about changes for 2016. But I don't think pricing is revealed at that time, is that correct? When can we expect that to be revealed?

Also I edited my original post to ask how much do you think it will increase if it does?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:44 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

i think so, but nothing to really talk about.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
i think so, but nothing to really talk about.
Meaning it will increase a small amount, or there is no solid information to go on?

if the latter, I understand that and was just looking for opinions.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:12 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

GM raised the price of the Corvette about 3-5% a year after 2008 although people's wages didn't go up near that fast. Back then you could find a loaded "base" C6 for mid $50k range. Now it is more around $70k. It doesn't seem that long ago that one would have a hard time finding a GM car with a 6 figure price tag. Now it might be more common.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

The eight ball says:

Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Everyone on every C7 forum seems to think so...

My dealer's management seems to think so, in fact saying "yes, there will definetly be a price increase"...

I seem to think so. How much is anybody's guess however we won't find out the new pricing until probably late June even though we find out the changes next week or so.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Meaning it will increase a small amount, or there is no solid information to go on?

if the latter, I understand that and was just looking for opinions.
meaning if you can afford a 2015 corvette, you can afford a 2016.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:56 AM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

For the early ordered 15's was no price increase so I would think the same if you get your 16 order in early.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:07 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
meaning if you can afford a 2015 corvette, you can afford a 2016.
Well one post I read a few hours ago suggested it might be 5K, that could put the car out of budget for certain people. Though I highly doubt GM would raise it that much.

Originally Posted by C2367
For the early ordered 15's was no price increase so I would think the same if you get your 16 order in early.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for and why I sent in my deposit last week to secure my place in line early for a 2016. My dealer told me I 'm one of their first orders so I hope your prediction pans out.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Elegant1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Pope Catholic?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Plan on it and be pleasantly surprised if but doesn't happen.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:26 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

History says the price will go up SOMETIME in the 2016 model year.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:44 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mksz51
History says the price will go up SOMETIME in the 2016 model year.
Yep.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Initially I think the major price increases will be tied to option repackaging. In 2015 the Z51 option went up but that was due to making NPP standard. For some that increased the base price because they didn't include any options but since 95% of the Z51's were ordered with NPP it was a net zero increase. Of course there was a significant base price mid year increase in the 2014's and a smaller mid year on the 2015's.

There will probably be some base increase a couple months after introduction, aka a mid year price increase and I think the Z06 will see a significant increase right before they make it eligible for the employee and supplier programs.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default You came to the right place...

Internet forums always have the correct answers and the people who determine such things always give out their strategies!

Get notified of new replies

To Will there be a price increase for the 2016 C7?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Internet forums always have the correct answers and the people who determine such things always give out their strategies!
Wasn't looking for facts, just opinions. People on this forum have history on their side for reference.

Since I'm going to be in the very first 2016 allocations, I should have worded my post slightly differently as follows: will there be a price increase for the 2016 C7 as soon as it is available?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:25 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I never pay too much attention to price increases GM dreams up on the corvette, as they try to increase prices without slowing down sales. Just good business as they continuously assess the market. What I care about when I get ready to buy, is what are they selling for at the top forum dealers ( IE: what discounts are in place). Sometimes when the new model year comes out, discounts are not available on hot selling models, like the 2016 Z06, which is right around the corner. My guess is the 2016 stingray will continue with good discounts even at the start of the model year.

As others have said, even though the Z06 may get a price increase at the beginning or shortly after the 2016 model introduction, as demand slows around next winter, I would expect the usual supplier/ GM employee discounts to become available. If a buyer can hold off buying till then, my guess is the price will be still somewhat less than the MSRP most have been paying presently and the Z06 and especially the A8 version, will have been out for a year at that time, allowing for a full year of production to resolve the usual first year issues.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Like death, and taxes . . . .

Quick Reply: Will there be a price increase for the 2016 C7?