C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar.....

Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Run your hand over a clean spot on the hood of the car or fender and if it feels rough to you clay bar it then rub your hand over the same spot on the cleaned hood or fender. You will know!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU2TV
Run your hand over a clean spot on the hood of the car or fender and if it feels rough to you clay bar it then rub your hand over the same spot on the cleaned hood or fender. You will know!
Take that a step further....
Put your hand in a plastic baggie and rub it lightly over a JUST washed surface. That will tell you for sure! Most cars feel like they have sandpaper for paint.

My neighbor (Audi S7) came over when I was doing my Corvette, he watched me use the Nanoskin, Meg 205, etc and said: "The dealer did that to my car before I got it". I told him: "Your dealer didn't do what I'm doing....at best, they washed it and threw some protectant on it." He brought the car down, we did the plastic baggie test, and he went home and ordered about $300 worth of detailing stuff from AutoGeek!

Jimmy
Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Put your hand in a plastic baggie and rub it lightly over a JUST washed surface. That will tell you for sure! Most cars feel like they have sandpaper for paint.

My neighbor (Audi S7) came over when I was doing my Corvette, he watched me use the Nanoskin, Meg 205, etc and said: "The dealer did that to my car before I got it". I told him: "Your dealer didn't do what I'm doing....at best, they washed it and threw some protectant on it." He brought the car down, we did the plastic baggie test, and he went home and ordered about $300 worth of detailing stuff from AutoGeek!

Jimmy
I wouldn't advise using the plastic baggie idea especially on a dark color. It will leave micro scratches in the clear you will need to polish out later. Might not be noticeable on a light color but it is on black.

Sometimes I think just looking at my car causes micro scratches
Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 AM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Jimmy
Good Call!
Old 05-09-2021, 06:50 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Superwsp
Wash>clay bar> light wash or Rinse to remove clay bar residue> polish if necessary With random orbital buffer(porter cable 7345) to remove any swirls> wax > random orbital buffer(Porter cable 7345) to remove wax.

I've been using The Chemical Guys products for years. They have great starter kits for detailing and their micro fiber towels and detailing products are so much better than anything at Wally World, auto zone, etc. for not much more money.

Be sure to use micro fibre wash cloth and micro fiber towel to dry, regular cotton towels will create swirls in the clear coat.

The porter cable requires a Velcro attachment kit for the polishing and waxing pads. Once you use the porter cable you will never go back. It is dummy proof and there are many youtubes on using it to polish and wax.

Clay bars- be conscious that clay bars remove all contaminants including wax off of your cars exterior and also could introduce swirls\micro scratches into the clear coat. So if you are going clay bar read up on the process.

From what I herd Mrco towes leave swirl marks
Are you sure 100 percent cotton towels leave swirl marks ? Been using Zanio produce's for years they say don't use Micro towels for paint finishing up
Old 05-09-2021, 10:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Revival of a 2015 thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
rtruman (05-10-2021), Vette Jockey (05-10-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay bar.....