C7 Z51 Nurburgring time??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Maybe OP can clarify then.

The time a car runs at the ring doesn't change anything about how the car drives. So why do you care? Not trying to be rude, just curious.
Well, it seems he is very track oriented and very much in tune with the Ring and other track courses. Of course I cannot speak for him, but being so involved in tracking a car would most likely play a very major role the decision of purchasing one car over another....even if its only slightly faster at a certain track you live nearby. For instance, if you are very much into drag racing and are looking for a new car to take to the drags, a car that is only a couple tenths faster than another option may play a major factor in your decision making when purchasing said car.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
Well, it seems he is very track oriented and very much in tune with the Ring and other track courses. Of course I cannot speak for him, but being so involved in tracking a car would most likely play a very major role the decision of purchasing one car over another....even if its only slightly faster at a certain track you live nearby. For instance, if you are very much into drag racing and are looking for a new car to take to the drags, a car that is only a couple tenths faster than another option may play a major factor in your decision making when purchasing said car.
I agree and disagree. If you're racing for money, then the little differences do matter. I don't believe that's the case though. Unless you are racing against someone for some sort of prize, tracking seems to be more of a thing to do for fun (at least in my opinion). The goal is to beat your best time, so the car being faster or slower than some Porsche or BMW is irrelevant. The experience you have in the Z51 is going to be exactly the same, regardless of what some professional did at the ring. That may just be a difference in opinions though.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

I agree and disagree. If you're racing for money, then the little differences do matter. I don't believe that's the case though. Unless you are racing against someone for some sort of prize, tracking seems to be more of a thing to do for fun (at least in my opinion). The goal is to beat your best time, so the car being faster or slower than some Porsche or BMW is irrelevant. The experience you have in the Z51 is going to be exactly the same, regardless of what some professional did at the ring. That may just be a difference in opinions though.
I can see both sides I guess. If I liked two cars and was big into tracking cars, I'd probably let the track time play a major role. I rarely track my Z51, but I want a Corvette and I don't care if some Porsche is faster, because I like the look of the Corvette 10 times better.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bapd77
I can see both sides I guess. If I liked two cars and was big into tracking cars, I'd probably let the track time play a major role. I rarely track my Z51, but I want a Corvette and I don't care if some Porsche is faster, because I like the look of the Corvette 10 times better.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

It's a point of data for performance rankings and comparison. Just like 0-60 times, top speed, horsepower, etc. In the right circles, Nurburgring times are taken as gospel.

I understand the issues. But for a "super car" it's a glaring omission to not have any official times.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe OP can clarify then.

The time a car runs at the ring doesn't change anything about how the car drives. So why do you care? Not trying to be rude, just curious.
Oh boy... Well, when u r at the ring its all about ***** measurement, how fast can u go around and what car u did it in. Is 8min flat fast? If u did it in a cleo, hell yeah! If u did it in mclaren, then no. There is a circle at the ring, people who can get under 8 and the rest. (Btw, u cant get clio under 8).

Im not the best driver in the world, so i need to compinsate with a decent car. My z06 was capable of sub 8 time, and i want something similar. C6z06 was a wild beast, handling it was a chore in itself. Could i have gone faster? Sure, but my ***** are not that big (it was my prized possiesion, so i dont go ***** to the wall). The m3 i had was a lot easier to handle/more predictable, so i could push it more. So if c7 z51 is a good track toy, and is predictable, i could very well take it close to 8 or under. Some cars are just not capable of sub 8 out of the box.

Like i said, im not a hired racerac driver, so every time i track, i leave a margin for error, because it is my car and worked hard for it.... but i have a passion and that is to go fast, faster than most.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kotik
Oh boy... Well, when u r at the ring its all about ***** measurement, how fast can u go around and what car u did it in. Is 8min flat fast? If u did it in a cleo, hell yeah! If u did it in mclaren, then no. There is a circle at the ring, people who can get under 8 and the rest. (Btw, u cant get clio under 8).
I must be having difficulty understanding then, because you and I are in agreement that it depends on the car you go in. Nobody is going to get into a pissing contest with you if you drive a Z51 and they're in a P1. All of your times would be measured against the same car. If you're first with a 9 minute time versus being first with a 7 minute time, does it matter? Either way you pushed that certain car farther than anyone else.

Im not the best driver in the world, so i need to compinsate with a decent car. My z06 was capable of sub 8 time, and i want something similar. C6z06 was a wild beast, handling it was a chore in itself. Could i have gone faster? Sure, but my ***** are not that big (it was my prized possiesion, so i dont go ***** to the wall). The m3 i had was a lot easier to handle/more predictable, so i could push it more. So if c7 z51 is a good track toy, and is predictable, i could very well take it close to 8 or under. Some cars are just not capable of sub 8 out of the box.

Like i said, im not a hired racerac driver, so every time i track, i leave a margin for error, because it is my car and worked hard for it.... but i have a passion and that is to go fast, faster than most.
If you're aiming for sub 8, then I guess it does depend on the car. I suppose there are two ways of approaching it:

1.) Trying to get a certain time.
2.) Trying to be in the upper percentile of the same cars.

It sounds like you're emphasis is on the first one?

Either way, good luck with your purchase
Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

My 2 cents. I track my cars so I understand your situation. Will the C7Z51 beat the C6Z06 at the 'ring? I would say yes. The amount of confidence around corners is what makes the difference. The Z06 will pull a C7 on those straights mainly because of the HP differential and the extra areo on the Z51. -but eventually they have to turn. That's when the e-diff and aero makes a difference. Brakes I'd call a draw between the 2.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

[QUOTE=kotik;1589470355]
Im not the best driver in the world, so i need to compinsate with a decent car. My z06 was capable of sub 8 time, and i want something similar. C6z06 was a wild beast, handling it was a chore in itself. Could i have gone faster? Sure, but my ***** are not that big (it was my prized possiesion, so i dont go ***** to the wall). The m3 i had was a lot easier to handle/more predictable, so i could push it more. So if c7 z51 is a good track toy, and is predictable, i could very well take it close to 8 or under. Some cars are just not capable of sub 8 out of the box.QUOTE

Bragging rights at the GREEN HELL will only end up in the ARMCO!!

Some of You guys are missing the point. Its the respect of the track unlike any in the world that make the RING times the standard, you will only understand if you have driven this monster!! it took me a year of public days on the RING to understand each Sections of the track ( http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-i...the-track.html ) most turns have four or more turns within, hell ask any RING expert and they will all disagree on how many turns in the GREEN HELL. That's why manufactures choose this track for a test bed. The C7 is one of the best corvettes I've owned, if you want bragging rights at the RING its not goanna happen, you will need at the minimum big brakes, five point harness with the C7.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
My 2 cents. I track my cars so I understand your situation. Will the C7Z51 beat the C6Z06 at the 'ring? I would say yes. The amount of confidence around corners is what makes the difference. The Z06 will pull a C7 on those straights mainly because of the HP differential and the extra areo on the Z51. -but eventually they have to turn. That's when the e-diff and aero makes a difference. Brakes I'd call a draw between the 2.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=360Lemans;1589472099]
Im not the best driver in the world, so i need to compinsate with a decent car. My z06 was capable of sub 8 time, and i want something similar. C6z06 was a wild beast, handling it was a chore in itself. Could i have gone faster? Sure, but my ***** are not that big (it was my prized possiesion, so i dont go ***** to the wall). The m3 i had was a lot easier to handle/more predictable, so i could push it more. So if c7 z51 is a good track toy, and is predictable, i could very well take it close to 8 or under. Some cars are just not capable of sub 8 out of the box.QUOTE

Bragging rights at the GREEN HELL will only end up in the ARMCO!!

Some of You guys are missing the point. Its the respect of the track unlike any in the world that make the RING times the standard, you will only understand if you have driven this monster!! it took me a year of public days on the RING to understand each Sections of the track ( http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-i...the-track.html ) most turns have four or more turns within, hell ask any RING expert and they will all disagree on how many turns in the GREEN HELL. That's why manufactures choose this track for a test bed. The C7 is one of the best corvettes I've owned, if you want bragging rights at the RING its not goanna happen, you will need at the minimum big brakes, five point harness with the C7.
I have a tad over 100 laps on nordschleife, ran 745 btg in my supercharged m3 on semislicks.

Like i said, some cars are just plainly not capable of sub 8 time. U can say what u want, but id like to be in the sub 8 club with a dd car(call it ego).
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=kotik;1589476789]
Originally Posted by 360Lemans

I have a tad over 100 laps on nordschleife, ran 745 btg in my supercharged m3 on semislicks.

Like i said, some cars are just plainly not capable of sub 8 time. U can say what u want, but id like to be in the sub 8 club with a dd car(call it ego).
If you want to be part of the real sub 8 time club then I suggest you
change your lap time method to BTG, Ringers use the below timing points during public days.

The BTG timing method.

Touristenfahrten is the German word for tourist driving, or what you might have heard as 'public driving'. These tourist laps start and stop from the 'Nordschleife zufahrt' on Döttinger Höhe straight, the other side of Nürburg village from the GP track.

B=Bridge, C=Nordschleife Zufahrt (the carpark at the Nordschleife entrance), A=Gantry

On a tourist lap it's impossible to complete a whole lap without stopping to queue for the gates at 'C'. So the BTG method is to time your laps in a point-to-point style from the bridge to the gantry. On a trackday this is also useful, as you don't have to complete 3 whole laps (63km) to get one lap time. To recap: after exiting the carpark at 'C' on the map above, drive under the Bridge (Antoniusbuche) at 'B'. From here it's 19.1km to the Gantry (currently carrying Audi sponsorship) at point 'A'. Easy!

Some interesting facts about BTG:
◾The distance between the gantry and the bridge is almost exactly 1 mile, 1660mtrs.
◾It takes a top-end sportscar less than 25 seconds to cover this distance. Most normal cars with a 120mph top speed over 30 seconds.
◾A BTG lap isn't just 25 or 30 seconds shorter, as the standing start from point 'C' adds another 5-6 seconds back on the time for most cars.
◾The straight is very bumpy, and is uphill all the way to the bridge.
◾Top speed is attained into the dip AFTER the bridge on a flying lap
◾On a BTG lap top speed is attained before Schwedenkreuz or in the Foxhole (for lower power cars)

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/inde...&Itemid=300060
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Example of BTG Timing video. C5 202 Z06 playing around with GT3's

The driver had transmission over heating temps and was on a cool down lap when he ran into two GT3's, he could not resist the fun.
To keep the over heated tranny cool he stopped shifting after the carousel. The last 2 1/2 minutes, he don't shift at all just stayed in 4th gear and still turned 7 min 48 BTG !!

I had the same transmission heating problem with my C5Z06 and C6, the transmission is tucked up next to the exhaust and out of the air flow under the corvette If anyone plans to ship a new C7 to Germany a Z51 option will give you the diff and trans coolers.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the c7z51 will be easier for you to handle and more akin to the m3 in that its limits are less than the c6z therefore you can get closer to them.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it looks like we might find out.....or not. GM is definitely there now.

http://jalopnik.com/a-cadillac-cts-v...fk9g,pexi6me2k

I caught this image yesterday from one of the ring cams.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Well it looks like we might find out.....or not. GM is definitely there now.

http://jalopnik.com/a-cadillac-cts-v...fk9g,pexi6me2k

I caught this image yesterday from one of the ring cams.

Looks more like z06, might be a private party not gm.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Guess we'll just have to wait for me to get there and set the bench mark for it lol

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 Nurburgring time??

Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

My guess is a stock Z51 Stingray would run close to the time of a late model C6 Z06. Here are the comparative times of the 2014 Z51 vs. a 2011 Z06 at the 4.1 mile Virginia International Raceway (Car & Driver Lightning Lap testing):

2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2:53.5

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2:53.8

A Z06 turned a 7:22 at Nurburgrung, I would anticipate a Z51 might manage a time not far off from that, say <7:30.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Don't know why GM doesn't reveal Ring times for the Corvette but the new Lamborghini just broke the record at the Ring.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/lambo...A42BDA28616584

Last edited by rmorin1249; 03-02-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I think the fastest N-Ring lap time was by a Porsche 956 Lemans class race car and it was like 6:10 or something.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 Nurburgring time??