Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride Control worth it?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
It won't matter too much exactly which options a C7 has once the car is 4+ years old. Used 4+ year old $30k- something used car buyers are not as fussy about options as new buyers. Plus, in that relatively low price range how much of an impact from an actual dollars point of view can one option really have on value?
Exactly. Get the options you want, not those someone else may want four years from now.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

The only downside is reprograming the BCM if you decide to go with another suspension set up in the future. Had this problem on my c5 when the electric (not mag ride) crapped out. Changed over to Bilstein performance Shocks and my first ride a fault code popped up and limited speed. Had to wire in resistors from radio shack on each corner because GM dealers would not reprogram the car. With that said we have plenty of tuners out their now that are very good at what they do.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by traronf
If you decide to go for the Z51 I would suggest you consider the Mag ride control. You will feel the difference going from Sport to Touring mode. When I decided on the Z51 the Mag ride control was one option that was important to me and I'm glad I have it. Just my opinion and good luck with your decision whatever you choose.
Luckily now with 2016s you can get mag ride without Z51.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:18 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Luckily now with 2016s you can get mag ride without Z51.
But you still get, and pay for, the Z51wheels, tires, and spoiler.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Yeah, which is a bonus IMO.

Anyone know what the difference is in skid pad numbers/road holding between the base car non-MSRC and Z51/non-Z51 combinations?

Last edited by pdiddy972; 04-25-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:34 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Yeah, which is a bonus IMO.

Anyone know what the difference is in skid pad numbers/road holding between the non-MSRC and Z51/non-Z51 combinations?
I think the difference is small, mostly from sway bars & different tire compounds. Per the brochure, Base-1.00g; Z51-1.03g; Z07-1.20g. According to Corvette Magazine, about the Z51 (no MSRC):

"While it doesn’t offer noticeably more grip, it definitely allows us to better exploit that grip, with less nose dive under braking, faster turn-in and less lean in the corners—not that the base car leaned much to begin with. In short, Z51 makes the Stingray feel more like a full-on sports car, one that better connects the driver to the road and really encourages you to attack the turns with conviction."

With the MSRC:

"Ordering MSRC along with Z51 is the ultimate no-brainer option. First, it offers better ride quality than the base suspension. Second, it absorbs bumps better than either the base or FE3 shocks. Third, its stiffness varies both depending on the Driver Mode Selector’s positioning—soft in Tour, firm in Track—and what the road underneath is doing...we don’t think there’s a better $1,800 you can spend to improve a Corvette."

Last edited by BIC; 04-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM
LrgZ51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody know if the base 2016 when ordered with MSRC also will include PTM? That's the best part IMO.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:07 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Samis955
I'm planning on buying a new C7 but I wanted to ask a few questions first.

The story is I rented a C7 non Z51 for 10 days and I loved it. It was an LT2/LT3 not sure if it had magnetic ride control or not. The car rides perfectly (better than most European cars). My daily driver is a BMW 640i GranCoupe and I can say that the vette drives better. So I decided to trade-in my camaro with a C7.

Will I lose any ride comfort if I opt for the Z51 package?

Is the magnetic ride control worth it?

Would appreciate your input.
If you are going to plunk down 70K for the car what's another 1,800?
My motto is if you're going to go, go all the way.
I have it, first Z51 I've ever owned, MRC pairs nicely with it.....
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
I turned down a Le Mans Blue 2014 coupe w/Z51 LT3, 5,000 miles, with yellow calipers, black mirrors & hood stripe, CF roof, cf vents, Z06 grill, Z06 style rear spoiler, MGW blade shifter, black emblems, comp suede seats, CF dash, tinted windows, every available option, and the entire car had the clear exterior protector. $63,000, maybe less, but no Mag Ride. The car was a steal but I've driven too many Mag Ride cars to buy one without it. If one is going to heavily track the car it would probably be best to avoid the MR. But, perhaps that is just me.
Maybe I just don't understand. But if you're tracking the car then MRC is the choice. Made for the track.
Plus where did you get a LeMans blue 2014? I would love that color to come back.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Another bundled option package. Wonder what the price will be? Already having to pay for the PDR to acquire Navigation. Even though I value magnetic ride, the base C7 handles really good without it.

Last edited by Larry/car; 04-25-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
This is incorrect. Magnetic ride does not increase the value at trade-in.
Maybe not but you can be damn well sure the dealer will use it as a reason to put a higher resale number on it when it hits their lot.

It should increase the resale because it increases the desirability of the car with many informed buyers. The problem is it would appear a significant number of Corvette buyers are not informed.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LrgZ51
Anybody know if the base 2016 when ordered with MSRC also will include PTM? That's the best part IMO.
No, it will not. As quoted by Tadge, this is MRSC added to the base FE1 suspension, nothing more.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

If it is a serious track car, you ditch the transverse leaf springs and get the Penske kit coilovers. that's what the race teams use, starts at 2660.00 to 5820.00 , more adjustability than mag ride and handles better, but for the weekend warrier , the mag ride is a better option. That's why I did not get mag ride, I will be looking the coilovers in the future.

The same race-winning shocks from the famous Yellow Pratt & Miller Corvettes are now available to bolt onto your Corvette regardless of whether you’re a serious track day racer or an everyday driver around town. Our promise is to exceed all expectations in handling, comfort, and performance for your Vette.

For the C7 Corvette, our engineers and technicians worked directly with Phoenix Performance to ensure fitment and design was perfect. Both front and rear shocks are inline mono-tube style shocks. They are built with the same components and by the same technicians that serve the above mentioned professional racing series.

The 7500 series single adjustable non-coilover monotube is a full OEM length and full OEM stroke non-coilover option. The single rebound adjuster is internal to the shaft and acts directly on the main piston for instantaneous response. The adjuster itself is easily accessed at the upper eyelets. Dual-bleed adjusters are always an available upgrade.

The 8300 series double adjustable coilover package features a single shaft rebound adjuster and a high-speed compression adjuster on the remote reservoir. This is the latest entry-level, double adjustable shock offered by Penske Racing Shocks. The front shocks are body up to reduce unsprung weight.

The 8700/8760 series triple adjustable coilover package features a single shaft rebound adjuster and independent high and low-speed compression adjustment on the remote reservoir. The front shocks are body up to reduce unsprung weight.

Last edited by sycraft; 04-26-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Maybe I just don't understand. But if you're tracking the car then MRC is the choice. Made for the track.
Plus where did you get a LeMans blue 2014? I would love that color to come back.
Very sorry about mixing up LeMans Blue and Laguna Blue. I do favor Laguna Blue but love both. As far as MR for folks serious about tracking, I believe that even the C7R Racing team doesn't use MR.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Many of us are glad they removed MSRC from Z51. The Z51 option by itself is a terrific option. I think leaving MSRC as a stand alone option was the right thing to do since those that really want it will order it. I hope at some point they make PDR as a stand alone option since there are many that want the NAV but will never use the PDR.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

If ya can justify it, get every possible option $$$$$
I'll stick with a base 1LT M7
Old 04-26-2015, 11:17 AM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
I think the difference is small, mostly from sway bars & different tire compounds. Per the brochure, Base-1.00g; Z51-1.03g; Z07-1.20g. According to Corvette Magazine, about the Z51 (no MSRC):

"While it doesn’t offer noticeably more grip, it definitely allows us to better exploit that grip, with less nose dive under braking, faster turn-in and less lean in the corners—not that the base car leaned much to begin with. In short, Z51 makes the Stingray feel more like a full-on sports car, one that better connects the driver to the road and really encourages you to attack the turns with conviction."

With the MSRC:

"Ordering MSRC along with Z51 is the ultimate no-brainer option. First, it offers better ride quality than the base suspension. Second, it absorbs bumps better than either the base or FE3 shocks. Third, its stiffness varies both depending on the Driver Mode Selector’s positioning—soft in Tour, firm in Track—and what the road underneath is doing...we don’t think there’s a better $1,800 you can spend to improve a Corvette."
No thanks. I'll stay with the more compliant ride with the 18/19 for my DD. Don't know what I would do with the thousands of dollars I would save by not get'n options I would never use and the extra bling I don't want with the ZF1 option, but the cost was never a factor anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride Control worth it?

Old 04-26-2015, 12:24 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
I have mag ride, paid good money for it, and would do it again in a heartbeat! Unquestionably worth it, to me!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:01 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
Very sorry about mixing up LeMans Blue and Laguna Blue. I do favor Laguna Blue but love both. As far as MR for folks serious about tracking, I believe that even the C7R Racing team doesn't use MR.
No worries. I just thought I missed something. Been known to happen.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

We've had Porsches, Jags, Vettes, and Lexus cars. One thing I've observed is that when you list a Lexus for sale the phone literally rings off the hook from day one.

With other brands, not so much.

Will one get a higher resale price with the MR option? Maybe, maybe not. But, will there be better odds of selling the car more quickly? I would hazard yes. That is especially true as over the next few years more and more GM cars will come with MR and more and more potential buyers will recognize the true value of MR. There are now at least 3 Cadillacs with MR and there will be more coming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride Control worth it?