C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help

Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

If you keep the car long enough, no worries on diminished value, and a "newer" engine, if anyone even asks, may actually increase the value, as it is less "worn" so to speak

Had to replaced the engine in my C5 @ 6k miles.
14 years later, still have it.

Don't intend on making the C7 go away anytime soon, either.
ergo, not worried about what it'll be worth 15 years from now.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:59 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah honestly the idea that GM owes you a car that's more collectible or valuable doesn't really make sense. They sold you a car, with a warranty in case something was wrong. The warranty covers new parts in most cases, you can't expect them to replace your whole car because a part went/was bad. Even if it's an important part like engine or transmission.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:09 PM
kbone077
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for a return on your investment a car is probably one of the worst places to put your dough. I'm with 10. I could care less if my car is worth a nickel tomorrow. The value is in the enjoyment I get out of driving it. If GM does the right thing enjoy the car.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:29 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HighTeq
Driving back from the museum to CA, i stopped in Oklahoma City to get the 500 mile oil change done. The service writer told me he added 9.8 qts of Mobil 1.

At Spring Mountain last week they did an inspection on my car and it was down 4.5 qts with 6500 miles on it. With no leaks and blackened exhaust tips. Either it didn't get filled correctly at 500 miles or my engine is very thirsty?

Off to the dealer it goes...

Wouldn't there have been some type of warning on the dash of low oil?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_

People who drive their cars easy or long distances on the freeway when they're new can see higher oil consumption or for longer periods of time.
Mine did not use a noticeable amount from day one and thats exactly how it was driven. First drive from Atlanta to Ohio in E mode and kept up with the faster traffic for 500+ miles. All this break in stuff is left over from the days of Chrome rings!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 AM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never let the oil get low enough for the low oil light to come on. I have always brought it back to the dealer and they have consistently added approximately 2 quarts it each time.
I have never received full value for my money. On day one when I picked up the car this lemon of an engine depreciated the value of the car by approximately $10,000. When am I going to get the car that I paid for? I feel like a guy that went to the grocery store and bought a 5 pound bag of sugar, but only got 4 pounds. Where is my 5 pounds of sugar?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

What if you put a catch can on it? With the catch can at least you'll have more information to deduct how the engine is consuming the oil.

Expanding on this since you may be wondering: I'm not an engine expert my any means, but as I see it you have 3 possibilities for consuming that much oil. 1. Rings not seated or oil blowing by the rings for some reason. 2. PCV problem and lots of oil is getting sucked into the engine for some reason. 3. Sloppy valve seals or poor machining or the heads. Between a leak down test and a catch can you should be able to deduct which of the 3 is the culprit.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 05-07-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more blah blah blah...
Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 AM
flytrade
Advanced

Roger that. Let's see what they find out.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:22 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Until GM makes a determination I wouldn't make ANY changes to the C7 since that muddies the situation. If it were out of warranty I would agree with Daffy's plan with a catch can but right now keep it bone stock.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by flytrade
Roger that. Let's see what they find out.
Hopefully it's a PCV problem or something with the heads. Then the engine doesn't come out and it looks a lot better on a future GMVIS report. No one will care if they had to replace a head so you wouldn't have to worry about loss of value. I can totally see why it's stressful though.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:48 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Much too much is made about diminished value... particularly since cars are depreciating assets...

I have one car that depreciates - my C7 - and I don't care as I split the duties of daily driving with it. I commonly put 100+K miles on my Corvettes. I maintain them and drive them - after all, at the end of the day they're all just cars.

And I have a car that appreciates while I drive it.

If you wanted an investment you should have bought something that has bottomed out on depreciation and has started back up in collector's value...

Get your car repaired and go enjoy it..... four months and 16,000 miles.

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 05-07-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Much too much is made about diminished value... particularly since cars are depreciating assets...

I have one car that depreciates - my C7 - and I don't care as I split the duties of daily driving with it. I commonly put 100+K miles on my Corvettes. I maintain them and drive them - after all, at the end of the day they're all just cars.

And I have a car that appreciates while I drive it.

If you wanted an investment you should have bought something that has bottomed out on depreciation and has started back up in collector's value...

Get your car repaired and go enjoy it..... four months and 16,000 miles.
Best advice yet. Worrying about possible diminished value years in the future on a depreciating asset makes no sense.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Heres the plan. Contact PETA and have naked hot chicks leaning against your car in protest of oil into the environment.

That will get their attention. Or ours.

Make that call.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette dave
Wouldn't there have been some type of warning on the dash of low oil?
That's what I would've thought.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
Yeah honestly the idea that GM owes you a car that's more collectible or valuable doesn't really make sense. They sold you a car, with a warranty in case something was wrong. The warranty covers new parts in most cases, you can't expect them to replace your whole car because a part went/was bad. Even if it's an important part like engine or transmission.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Some of you are confusing depreciation with diminished value. We all know what depreciation is, and that cost belongs to the owner. Diminished value means that I did not get the car that I paid for, and the value of the car continues to lessen as they perform more maintenance. That cost should not be on me, but on the manufacturer. Where is the 5 pounds of sugar that I paid for?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Some of you are confusing depreciation with diminished value. We all know what depreciation is, and that cost belongs to the owner. Diminished value means that I did not get the car that I paid for, and the value of the car continues to lessen as they perform more maintenance. That cost should not be on me, but on the manufacturer. Where is the 5 pounds of sugar that I paid for?
You paid for a Chevrolet. It has a warranty, which you also paid for. The warranty is to fix problems that arise during the term of the warranty. Nowhere in the warranty, your agreement to buy the car, or anywhere else is there some express or implied guarantee that you will get a new car free if some kind of warranty work is performed on it, which seems to be what you think is owed to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help

Old 05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

On day one when I picked up the car this lemon of an engine depreciated the value of the car by approximately $10,000. When am I going to get the car that I paid for?
I don't understand at all why you think the value has gone down. When they find the problem and fix it (whether they replace the PCV valve or the whole engine) it is as good as new. As someone else mentioned, a new engine at this point makes it worth more if anything. The car had something wrong with it that was fixed. Won't make any difference when you sell it. Besides, very few people (other than us fanatics on this forum) would bother with checking the service history when buying a car. A Ferrari.....different thing. A Chevy.....no big deal.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:56 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

I have never let the oil get low enough for the low oil light to come on. I have always brought it back to the dealer and they have consistently added approximately 2 quarts it each time.
I have never received full value for my money. On day one when I picked up the car this lemon of an engine depreciated the value of the car by approximately $10,000. When am I going to get the car that I paid for? I feel like a guy that went to the grocery store and bought a 5 pound bag of sugar, but only got 4 pounds. Where is my 5 pounds of sugar?
In the gas tank?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Elegant1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C2367
You do not have to get a lawyer, contact the BBB and they are the ones that take care of the lemon law. Talk to them and see if your able at this point to move on the lemon law. It did not cost anything, the BBB was great.
I have done 3 buybacks before 2 through the BBB and one with a lawyer all resulted in replacement cars, the one with the lawyer total cash back and then some. However the one with the lawyer took three times longer to settle. Let them do the leak down tests to generate more paperwork. Then call the BBB yourself and file.

For the record my 2015 uses very little oil.

Last edited by Elegant1; 05-07-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help