beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 07-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flytrade
Allpro - good luck with your lemon law case. Let me know if I can be of any help. I hate that I had this experience, but I now consider myself to be an expert on the subject. You can call me at 941-748-6438 if you would like to discuss your particulars.

mondo540 - thanks for your comments, but I'm still in negotiations with GM. The lemon law states I'm "entitled to be reimbursed for certain "collateral" and "incidental" charges." Each of these are in excess of $5K, and I'm sure GM will try to wiggle out of these payments. I'll keep you all advised of how it works out.
Flytrade, thank you, I might take you up on that offer once I get a
certified letter out to GM they will have 10 days to fix the problem based on NJ Lemon Law.Amount of days in the shop is not the issue here, the amount of times being fixed in the shop is and I have gone beyond the call with 4 trips already heading for number 5.

I should have done this earlier but love the car but if it sits in the shop during the nice weather and is stored in the winter, I am getting very little use of the car.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

maybe you can give up the collateral money damage and request an upgrade to a Z06
Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 AM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This is exactly why I would not use a lawyer to do my negotiating. GM offered me MSRP to MSRP, but I declined their offer. I pointed out that the Lemon Law states, under a replacement vehicle, "A reasonably equivalent replacement vehicle is one with an MSRP of not more than 105% of the MSRP of your lemon vehicle." Once I pointed this out to the Mediation Liaison she came back the next day with the 105% approval, which gave me an extra $3,481. I now have a fully paid for 2016 model on order, for a mid-August delivery, with over $1,000 in additional options of my choice.
Yes but you negotiated away a mileage depreciation that I didn't. and I had an acceptable offer in a matter of days from contacting GM about the Lemon law action, spent nearly zero personal time on the process and I am getting museum deliver,factory tour,book and a new loaded 2016 that I had to work at loading up to the MSRP I had available to spend. In fact I would have had to add an A8 to get there and I didn't want it. All this with no money out of my pocket and no hit for depreciation on a car three model years older with 12k miles. I could have pushed for more, but frankly I think this was a fair outcome. Most importantly GM saved an 8 time Corvette owner as a customer. This was the first Corvette to ever give me significant issues.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 AM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 97. You got a good deal.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM
fun2fly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C2367
Used it and it worked out well for me but due to starting the lemon law after I think 12 mo. and or 12,000 miles they charged me for the miles and I paid for any extra equipment but did not have to pay any sales tax / doc or license fees. I was ok with that but it sounds like you got a better offer, be glad.

Hi C2367, you must have been referring to flytrade. I have a 2015 C7.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is an update.

I got my C7 back after 32 days at the dealer's service department. They did a major engine rebuild including all new rings and valve guide seals. Now they want me to put 1,000 miles on the car to see if that fixes the problem.

However, I have also started the formal lemon law process, and I'm communicating with the GM Mediation Liaison. It does not matter to me if this engine rebuild fixes the oil consumption problem or not - I want an "exact replacement" C7 and compensation for my mental anguish for the past 4 months. GM is researching this and will get back with me in a few days. I'll keep you posted.

Compensation for your mental anguish? I honestly hope you never have to face real mental anguish. You won't survive it.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Sailfun
Compensation for your mental anguish? I honestly hope you never have to face real mental anguish. You won't survive it.
Kind of what I was thinking as I read this thread.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun
That was my thought aswell. Sounds like OP is trying to milk every last drop out of the pot.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Allpro - good luck with your lemon law case. Let me know if I can be of any help. I hate that I had this experience, but I now consider myself to be an expert on the subject. You can call me at 941-748-6438[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]941-748-6438 if you would like to discuss your particulars.

mondo540 - thanks for your comments, but I'm still in negotiations with GM. The lemon law states I'm "entitled to be reimbursed for certain "collateral" and "incidental" charges." Each of these are in excess of $5K, and I'm sure GM will try to wiggle out of these payments. I'll keep you all advised of how it works out.
So where are you located so I can scarf up your car after they take it back? Your worries are not my worries and I see no problem with a car that was repaired under warranty. I purchased a couple of lemon law cars and they turned out to be the best cars I ever owned. Owned both of them for 10 years each.

Bill
Call
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
Old 07-06-2015, 07:10 AM
flytrade
Advanced

Originally Posted by bladex10
That was my thought aswell. Sounds like OP is trying to milk every last drop out of the pot.
You guys are right. My life is so tame now that it's down-right boring. However, it hasn't always been that way.

I'm a retired Air Force (Lt. Col.) fighter pilot with 23 years of service to my country. I flew in Vietnam for a year with daily combat missions over North and South Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Most recently I drove F-16's as a squadron pilot, instructor pilot, flight examiner and chief test pilot at the plant where they are made in Ft. Worth, Tx.

Now that I turned 71, to get a little excitement back in my life, I got a C7 with manual transmission so I can run through the gears. I guess when I get old I'll have to get the automatic version.

Take my advise - don't get old. It's much better to be young and live on the edge.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:42 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Now that this Lemon Law process is all over, I want to let you all know how it turned out.

First of all, I did not have to use the Lemon Law - that is their mediators. I just negotiated with the company. Here are the results.

I am driving a new 2016 model that has an MSRP of $4325 more than my 2015 model.
I also got a check from GM for almost $3400.
I was to pay for the mileage on my 2015 model, but negotiated a $5,000 bill down to $1,000.
I'm getting a refund for the unused portion of my extended 5 year warranty, as well as my tire and wheel warranty. These together total almost $2,000
And all this does not take into consideration the basic depreciation of my 2015 model.

I feel like I'm the self proclaimed Lemon Law expert. That may not be the case, but if I can be of help to anyone else just let me know.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HighTeq
Driving back from the museum to CA, i stopped in Oklahoma City to get the 500 mile oil change done. The service writer told me he added 9.8 qts of Mobil 1.

At Spring Mountain last week they did an inspection on my car and it was down 4.5 qts with 6500 miles on it. With no leaks and blackened exhaust tips. Either it didn't get filled correctly at 500 miles or my engine is very thirsty?

Off to the dealer it goes...
If I recall correctly, I was told GM allows for 1qt/1500 miles loss. Last I checked mine loses ~3/4qt/1000. I'm currently in the middle of a consumption check so the dealer has verification.
BTW, '15 Z51 with 7700 miles
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Glad it turned out well for you.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

Now that this Lemon Law process is all over, I want to let you all know how it turned out.

First of all, I did not have to use the Lemon Law - that is their mediators. I just negotiated with the company. Here are the results.

I am driving a new 2016 model that has an MSRP of $4325 more than my 2015 model.
I also got a check from GM for almost $3400.
I was to pay for the mileage on my 2015 model, but negotiated a $5,000 bill down to $1,000.
I'm getting a refund for the unused portion of my extended 5 year warranty, as well as my tire and wheel warranty. These together total almost $2,000
And all this does not take into consideration the basic depreciation of my 2015 model.

I feel like I'm the self proclaimed Lemon Law expert. That may not be the case, but if I can be of help to anyone else just let me know.
Awesome. Thanks for your service too. Now where did the peanut gallery go making fun of your use of anguish?

Man, I have to wait until October for my z51. That's anguish. I'm married to a woman that hates sex. I doubled down on anguish. No combat though...
Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 AM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Elegant1
I have done 3 buybacks before 2 through the BBB and one with a lawyer all resulted in replacement cars, the one with the lawyer total cash back and then some. However the one with the lawyer took three times longer to settle. Let them do the leak down tests to generate more paperwork. Then call the BBB yourself and file.

For the record my 2015 uses very little oil.
Are you sure you aren't the problem & not the cars after so many.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Casey
Awesome. Thanks for your service too. Now where did the peanut gallery go making fun of your use of anguish?

Man, I have to wait until October for my z51. That's anguish. I'm married to a woman that hates sex. I doubled down on anguish. No combat though...

OP glad to see you where made whole on the deal.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am driving a new 2016 model
So how's the new one working out in comparison? How many miles did you put on the first one before the consumption was realized?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Originally Posted by wingerr
So how's the new one working out in comparison? How many miles did you put on the first one before the consumption was realized?
It's too soon to tell how the new one is working out since it's only a week old. However, I brought the 2015 model in to the dealer after 2 weeks with 500 miles for the following 3 reasons.

1. The HUD was tilted about 5 degrees to the right. The dealer said this is a well documented problem, but it's not adjustable and I'll have to live with it. Now this has been corrected on the 16 model.
2. The engine used one quart of oil in the 500 miles. The dealer said this was normal since the engine was in its break-in period. Of course we later found out the oil consumption was a real engine problem.
3. The engine - at least in my opinion - was idling rough. The dealer said this was normal. But now we know it was idling rough because of bad rings in one cylinder and the engine was burning oil as well as fuel.

Quick Reply: Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help