Sponsored by:

Why is my C7 so damn creaky?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Lonnie65
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
My car has no creeks or rattles at just short of the year mark. I have the exposed carbon fiber roof but I am sure that's not a factor. I would think roof creeks would be an adjustment issue and a good silicon product may help reduce sounds from movement of the seals.
I beg to differ, I think the carbon fiber roof is much more rigid with less movement than the translucent
Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnie65
I beg to differ, I think the carbon fiber roof is much more rigid with less movement than the translucent
You may very well be correct. I dont have a different top to try in the same car for a comparison. Could also just be a difference in that particular roof but not with all roofs of that type.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Lonnie65
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
You may very well be correct. I dont have a different top to try in the same car for a comparison. Could also just be a difference in that particular roof but not with all roofs of that type.
It's hard to understand unless you have both roofs, the translucent seems flimsy however it is very nice to have it on the car for that open feeling
Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM
15Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is new and started this in the first week. It's intermittent so far, but I will be working on the issue soon.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM
wingerr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case it was a cricking sound, which was coming from the front driver side of the roof panel. It was resolved completely when I pulled the conical grommet out from the peg and reinstalled it with an additional rubber washer spacer at the base to keep it from getting pushed all the way down again.
When the conical grommet gets pushed down too far to the base it no longer provides the buffer and locating properties needed to keep the peg from contacting the roof, which caused the cricking noises. It needs the conical shape at the end to help keep it centered in the hole so it should be used instead of replacing it entirely with a flat washer.
It was pretty tight and didn't slide around on the peg very easily, so I could probably have just pulled it up from the base without adding any extra washers, but I figured that would help keep it from getting mashed down again.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Gamoto
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had my C7 Coupe for 1 month and there are no creaks or rattling coming from the roof. That being said.....I haven't taken it off yet.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 AM
corvettecop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
In my case it was a cricking sound, which was coming from the front driver side of the roof panel. It was resolved completely when I pulled the conical grommet out from the peg and reinstalled it with an additional rubber washer spacer at the base to keep it from getting pushed all the way down again.
When the conical grommet gets pushed down too far to the base it no longer provides the buffer and locating properties needed to keep the peg from contacting the roof, which caused the cricking noises. It needs the conical shape at the end to help keep it centered in the hole so it should be used instead of replacing it entirely with a flat washer.
It was pretty tight and didn't slide around on the peg very easily, so I could probably have just pulled it up from the base without adding any extra washers, but I figured that would help keep it from getting mashed down again.
This trick worked for me as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I cut the fingers out of a disposable rubber glove and placed them over all 4 strikers. Hope to find this is the source of the noise and then try the rubber washer trick. I am guessing an o-ring will work as a rubber washer.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

My problem is (tentatively) SOLVED!!!!

Problem: Drivers side front roof panel creaking/popping near/at post/striker location.

Resolution:
Took roof panel off when giving my baby a bath this weekend and inspected both the panel and car striker/post area.
Discovered post on the panel had some partial pieces of industrial shipping/duct tape on it.
Noticed that the post/striker hole on the mount location in the car had a small switch/indicator sticking out. (my guess is that it indicates if roof panel is installed).
Also guessed that the switch/indicator on car was rubbing against post with tape causing a rough pop/creak noise.
Removed tape from the panel stricker/post and applied some grease.
Installed roof panel making sure the seals around the entire panel were properly seated and not mushed anywhere.

Result: 100% completely quite ride this morning, not a single creak/pop. I went over 3 sets of railroad tracks and some rough roads too.

Right now I am happy but tentative to say its fixed for good. I'll report back later on if it stays quiet.

I'd recommend putting some grease/lubricant on your drivers side roof panel post if you are getting creaks from that location. The grease will help keep the switch on the car from rubbing and popping against the roof panel post.

Last edited by TennisFreak; 06-22-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My roof is quiet as a mouse. My dash, on the other hand, creaks like a pirate ship. Worse with he roof off.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Noticed mine don't make a sound unless the suns been beating on it and it's really hot out. Eh I can live with that.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I had a few creaks when I drove, so tried the silicon grease to the seals trick this weekend......now it creaks 3 times as much.

Guess I need to try a few more tricks. 1) have to look closed, but don't remember any grommets on the front posts 2) when closing the rear latch, seems to be a 1/4 inch gap and puts just a little pressure on the hook when latching.....may need a turn.

Just wish I hadn't lubed it......or maybe I put to light a coat on.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:34 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine started rattling like crazy last week. I think it loosened up because of the extreme heat here in Texas.

Today when detailing the car I took the roof off and tightened the rear latch.
It tightened a full 2 turns without any effort, that thing was way too loose!

Needless to say my car is now silent, no more creaking roof!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:53 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I did the fix roof trick with the grease and spray. I guess it worked a little but I still hear pops and creaks. I'm thinking its the warm weather things expanding and in cold they contract. Is this just part of the game or should I take it to Chevy and see what they say. Its rather annoying when you take someone for a ride in your new sports car and they say what is that noise!!!???
I have had this problem with my 2005, 2007, and my 2012.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:32 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I did the fix roof trick with the grease and spray. I guess it worked a little but I still hear pops and creaks. I'm thinking its the warm weather things expanding and in cold they contract. Is this just part of the game or should I take it to Chevy and see what they say. Its rather annoying when you take someone for a ride in your new sports car and they say what is that noise!!!???
Z51 cars tend to be creaky because of the stiffer suspension. Its why I no longer buy them. Haven't had a creaky car since.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Guys the fix is in!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ue-solved.html

Last edited by vetehead; 07-20-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is my C7 so damn creaky?