Sponsored by:

Why is my C7 so damn creaky?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Ok so I played around with it a little and can say for sure it's mostly coming from front passenger handle on roof. The other one doesn't make a sound put when I pull the passenger one it makes same sounds I'm hearing. I made an appointment with gm service next Monday to check it out. If can't fix it myself by then. Going to look in manual a little later see if I can find how Much to torque handles.
Same here. Almost certainly coming from the passenger handle area. The darn transparent roof panel isn't that heavy. Hard to believe it's moving around. Don't even have to go over a bump to make the noise. Making a turn or the incline backing out of the garage is enough to cause it to creak and pop.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
Same here. Almost certainly coming from the passenger handle area. The darn transparent roof panel isn't that heavy. Hard to believe it's moving around. Don't even have to go over a bump to make the noise. Making a turn or the incline backing out of the garage is enough to cause it to creak and pop.
Yup mine too
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I have a question about the front latch adjustment. The driver side requires little effort to pull back to the open position. It’s not loose but very tight either. This is the side that creaks even with silicone applied especially above the A-pillar. The passenger side latch requires quite some effort to pull back. This side doesn’t creak. I have not removed the front drive latch but the allen nut is tight. If I pull it off will I find a shim?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt that lubing my seals on the car would help since my painted carbon fiber too does not creak but the clear top does. It must be something with the top.

The handles in the front on the clear top feel loose when latching (compared to other top) so I guess I need to adjust them.

How is this done? Just tighten the Torx bolt?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jedblanks
How is this done? Just tighten the Torx bolt?
I had to look very closely, it's an allen head.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:59 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I had to look very closely, it's an allen head.
Do you know what size? Also how tight ?? I heard 16lbs on the C6 I'm assuming it the same ?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Mdbrown9
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

My clear top pops all the time

I've tried everything listed in other threads without success

The little felt pads helped but still noisy

Will be watching this thread
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Do you know what size? Also how tight ?? I heard 16lbs on the C6 I'm assuming it the same ?
3/16. Don't know how tight. Wrench tight is not tight enough.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Walt Wilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an observation I have made with my C7... I had creaking top in my C6 which got worse with coming of warm weather... I tried all the silicone grease fixes and it usually stopped it-- for a while. Finally took the top off the C7 and when I put it back on... buzzes at road speeds. Then some creaking. I finally found a correspondence between the position of the car at the moment of latching the top down. If the surface you are parked on has a little twist to it then the top will not be "square" to the car... it doesn't matter that GM claims a much stiffer frame... the chassis will always torque a little. Try it... may work for you... may not. It works for me.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Walt Wilson
Here is an observation I have made with my C7... I had creaking top in my C6 which got worse with coming of warm weather... I tried all the silicone grease fixes and it usually stopped it-- for a while. Finally took the top off the C7 and when I put it back on... buzzes at road speeds. Then some creaking. I finally found a correspondence between the position of the car at the moment of latching the top down. If the surface you are parked on has a little twist to it then the top will not be "square" to the car... it doesn't matter that GM claims a much stiffer frame... the chassis will always torque a little. Try it... may work for you... may not. It works for me.
That is very interesting.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I'd look this up and not assume. The C6 top was not CF and the torque specs may be completely different.I know CF is strong but I wouldn't go cranking on those bolts for fear of cracking something. If torquing to factory specs does not help, and the method with the grease and silicon do not work, I suggest taking it to the dealer.

The other thing I noticed with my C6 was I kept it in an air conditioned garage. When I would pull it out in warm weather it would creak and pop like crazy.

The creaking was pretty bad in my C7 and my fix might only be temporary but I have about 1000 mile since I did it and still very quiet.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Subscribing to this thread.

My drivers side by the A pillar pops like crazy and it is driving me nuts.

Going to try a few of the things listed here this weekend.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

My top creaked and popped which drove me crazy. What I did was turn the rear latch hook 1 complete turn to increase the pull and slipped a rubber fuel line over the latch hook, then I cut off 4 fingers of a black nietril glove . Greased front and rear pins with dielectric grease, slipped the cut fingers over the pins added 1 o-ring over each sleeve added more silicone grease installed the top and parked in the 92 degree sun for
45 min and took it for a spin over some bumpy roads. So far so good ! I would say about 95% improvement !! Just hope it lasts !!

Thinking maybe now I should have used 2 o-ring on each pin instead !!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegant1
My car is pretty quiet.
My 2015 is quiet too. My 08 C6 coupe roof was very noisy even after I had the recall done.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:02 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a 2015 C7 and have had the top off three times...not even a suggestion of roof noise...

Is everyone sure the roof is nice and tight? When I put the roof back on, it takes a health push with both hands on the front, each side, to get the top to snap into position...

Ken
Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

It might help to adjust the rear toggle clamp as described in another thread. I have no creaks but the rear toggle is quite snug.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I read on another forum someone took their car for the same issue and the service department told him its normal and it's because it's a new car. If it's still doing it after 7k miles then bring it back. Lmao I hope that's not true.
There may be some truth to this, as mine did some very minor creaking on occasion when new but the noises have subsided over the four months (1600 miles) I've owned it. I haven't heard anything in quite a while, so warm weather isn't increasing the problem here as it seems to be for some.

I've been wanting to remove the roof (never been off) to lube the rubber, but I fear if I do that it'll start creaking. I'll have to do it sooner or later, so I might as well just do it now.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my C7 so damn creaky?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Lonnie65
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my car 6 months it is in Florida where the weather is always warm. As many others stated my carbon fiber roof is fine no noise what so ever however my translucent roof is horrible. After many attempts to fix I decided to trade the car in for a Z06 Vert ....
Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnie65
I have my car 6 months it is in Florida where the weather is always warm. As many others stated my carbon fiber roof is fine no noise what so ever however my translucent roof is horrible. After many attempts to fix I decided to trade the car in for a Z06 Vert ....
Sounds like it's flexing. if the carbon fiber roof isn't doing it it's probably because it is providing more structural rigidity to the car while the translucent roof is flexing over the bumps. It doesn't sound like there is a lot to be done other than what is already being tried.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 06-18-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegant1
My car is pretty quiet.
My car has no creeks or rattles at just short of the year mark. I have the exposed carbon fiber roof but I am sure that's not a factor. I would think roof creeks would be an adjustment issue and a good silicon product may help reduce sounds from movement of the seals.

Quick Reply: Why is my C7 so damn creaky?