Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted side markers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I went with the more expensive tinted lenses, but I wanted the full length leds to the replace the OEM units with just two lights.
That looks pretty decent.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

So no one has any pics??
Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
So no one has any pics??
I have ghosted painted side markers from Oracle..I love mine...

Last edited by AttyVette; 01-12-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by AttyVette

I have ghosted painted side markers from Oracle..I love mine...

Yours is yellow too, so that extra helps! Thanks! Yeah, it blends in really well. Think that's the way to go!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I sure don't get painting, tinting or covering up the side marker lenses. These are a requirement under Federal Motor Safety Standards since around 1969 or so. All cars have them and I don't think they look bad. I guess I really don't pay attention to them. Corvette has them nicely blended in IMHO. But to each their own. Painting, tinting, they remind me of what the ricers do.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I sure don't get painting, tinting or covering up the side marker lenses. These are a requirement under Federal Motor Safety Standards since around 1969 or so. All cars have them and I don't think they look bad. I guess I really don't pay attention to them. Corvette has them nicely blended in IMHO. But to each their own. Painting, tinting, they remind me of what the ricers do.
Here we go again. Have you not seen all the back and forth with the troll we had on here about that exact thing?? Please take a look at all those posts to see our counter arguments. Also, you're categorically wrong about what's in bold. As I mentioned, just look at the C5 corvette, or pretty much any non European car before circa 2005. Cars did NOT have marker lights before that time, and there are probably plenty that didn't start having them until around 2010. If you don't think they look bad, don't change them. Forums are generally designed for people to help each other with various things. In this case, helping me would be showing pics of what your (or any) C7 Corvette looks like with either shaved, or body colored painted side markers. Your post is not helpful. If you want to throw your $.02 in on the matter bundled in with a HELPFUL post, sure, by all means. If all you're going to do is crap on a thread, don't bother posting. Finally, it's funny that you are saying it reminds you of what ricers do because ADDING side markers to cars that didn't have them back in the late 90s-early 00s WAS what ricers did. Sooooooo by that logic, removing (which is essentially what painting will do) marker lights will UN-rice my car.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-13-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

So no one has any pics??
These are also Oracle clear lens painted, not ghosted. As anyone can see, these are on. They are not removed or disabled. They fall fully in line with whatever Federal garbage (standards, guidelines, regulations) is posted above and certainly falls in line with my Colorado state law. It was my first mod to get rid of the crappy 2-LED side markers.

The following users liked this post:
AttyVette (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
These are also Oracle clear lens painted, not ghosted. As anyone can see, these are on. They are not removed or disabled. They fall fully in line with whatever Federal garbage (standards, guidelines, regulations) is posted above and certainly falls in line with my Colorado state law. It was my first mod to get rid of the crappy 2-LED side markers.
Yeah those look clean. Not looking to spend like 5 hundy on some marker lights, but if I were, I'd be getting Oracles.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Don't waste you time trying to convince these boneheads their accessory lighting is considered illegal in all 50 states. Their silly arguments are like arguing that it's OK to speed in your vehicle. Sure many people will speed everywhere you go but there are laws on the books against it and there is selective enforcement. Law enforcement budgets everywhere are stretched and law enforcement can only devote so many resources to combat the wide spread problem. The Federal Department of Transportation has legal authority to regulate safety equipment of all commercial and passenger vehicles driven on all public roads within the USA. In an earlier post I had cited Federal law giving chapter and verse and provided the Federal link that regulates vehicle lighting and these boneheads were unable to read and/or comprehend this authority. To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
You still don't get it. Federal "regulations" are simply guidelines for the States. (Example here, don't go nuts) If the federal government says "xyz" but the State does not have a law against "xyz", neither the State, County or City LEOs will enforce "xyz". Period. They can't write a federal "xyz" ticket and there certainly are not any federal highway officers. They can refer the "xyz" violation to the federal government for prosecution, but that's it. There is no other interpretation of this. The ONLY exception to this is Federal DOT certified State inspectors for big rigs and possibly at a Border Patrol checkstop and probably any federal or military installation.

Before you start copy-n-pasting some other drivel ... please tell me where you do not comprehend the above? Which part? We'll go word for word.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by MMD

Don't waste you time trying to convince these boneheads
OMG....I see you are at a it again? What is it with you? Didn't your mother teach you any manners? If you don't have anything nice to say, then abstain!
90% of your posts are negative, argumentative or based upon information you have read here or googled, or likely based upon absolutely no real world experience of your own!
If people want to change their side markers for something more aesthetically pleasing, or use Powerstop brake pads, or put a damn water bottle in their cupholder or tint their tail light lenses then so be it! You are neither judge, jury, police or moderator! And they don't need you spouting federal and state laws (which I'm sure you googled) along with posts from other members to support your position. Case in point the power stop pad bronzing issue, yes some members have had the pads bronze their rotors, others have not yet you reply that it is inevitable like your word is God. You should have just said "that's great, provide us with some feedback if you start to see your rotors turn bronze". Thats helpful to the community, not the crap you posted!

You're not making any friends MMD....just coming across as a wannabe know it all with a bad attitude.....

To the OP, nice looking lights, and so much better than the dim 3 bulb factory set up.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
You still don't get it. Federal "regulations" are simply guidelines for the States. (Example here, don't go nuts) If the federal government says "xyz" but the State does not have a law against "xyz", neither the State, County or City LEOs will enforce "xyz". Period. They can't write a federal "xyz" ticket and there certainly are not any federal highway officers. They can refer the "xyz" violation to the federal government for prosecution, but that's it. There is no other interpretation of this. The ONLY exception to this is Federal DOT certified State inspectors for big rigs and possibly at a Border Patrol checkstop and probably any federal or military installation.

Before you start copy-n-pasting some other drivel ... please tell me where you do not comprehend the above? Which part? We'll go word for word.
You just don't grasp the concept of the federal government role in regulating transportation safety. Take a look at every car on the road. They all have red tail lights. This is regulated by the Federal government. What don't you understand about this? Try painting your tail lights any other color than red and see where that gets you. Your local police will issue you a ticket as a result. There are numerous other laws for passenger vehicles as well. All cars manufactured and driven on the public roads in all 50 states are required to have reflectors (side markers) and/or side lighting for saftey purposes... they are not for decoration. All vehicles must have amber and red markers. That comes from Federal regulation. Your vehicle must also have seat belts. Your vehicle must be seen by others particulary when visibilty conditions are bad. It's in the public interest. And yes, there is selective enforcement throughout the country, similar to speed enforcement, due to limited budgets. You may choose to ignore these laws but you do so at your own peril.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:37 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Because my Z06 is Arctic White, I chose the clear markers from GS Creations. They still reflect if parked on the street and they continue to light up LED amber and red when turned on. I considered the Oracles and other full LED strips, however I read the Oracles had fitment issues, particularly on the driver's side rear as well as some quality issues, i.e. sections of the LED strip going out. I'm sure there are many Oracles installed with no problems, however I didn't want to take the chance, plus I like how the clear matches up both with the Arctic White paint and the clear OEM Z06 tail lights.

Last edited by MSG C5; 01-13-2019 at 02:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MSG C5:
AttyVette (01-13-2019), p.dargen (01-13-2019), Pineapple (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2019GSTX
OMG....blah...blah...blah
I will read about a subject, study both sides of an argument and then debate you if there is fault in one's opinion. Debate should be based on merit unless you discussing what's your favorite color. Being butt-hurt is not a concern of mine.

Last edited by MMD; 01-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:49 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
Try painting your tail lights any other color than red and see where that gets you. Your local police will issue you a ticket as a result.
This will help: if there is not a State law prohibiting any other color than red, guess who's not getting a ticket?

-- I will say this -- for the most part, States do adopt the Federal regulations and standards. No argument -- but, in the case of side markers and the my state (Colorado), I have to have them and visible from 500'. As long as my lights are within that law, Federal regulations and guidelines beyond that don't mean anything to my state registered privately owned vehicle.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:11 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Because my Z06 is Arctic White, I chose the clear markers from GS Creations. They still reflect if parked on the street and they continue to light up LED amber and red when turned on. I considered the Oracles and other full LED strips, however I read the Oracles had fitment issues, particularly on the driver's side rear as well as some quality issues, i.e. sections of the LED strip going out. I'm sure there are many Oracles installed with no problems, however I didn't want to take the chance, plus I like how the clear matches up both with the Arctic White paint and the clear OEM Z06 tail lights.

Those really go well with white, and I could seem them with the gray body colors. Matrix would be excellent with those.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:02 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Originally Posted by MMD
You may choose to ignore these laws but you do so at your own peril.
I do grasp the concept and I also believe that the gov’t is huge and over regulating when it comes to certain things.
I agree....if I, or any other member of this forum, choose to ignore these laws then we do so at our own peril....we just don’t need you running around like some nanny telling every one of us what you think we are doing wrong!
it’s obvious you are a sheeple.....google that!

Get notified of new replies

To Painted side markers

Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

You just don't grasp the concept of the federal government role in regulating transportation safety. Take a look at every car on the road. They all have red tail lights. This is regulated by the Federal government. What don't you understand about this? Try painting your tail lights any other color than red and see where that gets you. Your local police will issue you a ticket as a result. There are numerous other laws for passenger vehicles as well. All cars manufactured and driven on the public roads in all 50 states are required to have reflectors (side markers) and/or side lighting for saftey purposes... they are not for decoration. All vehicles must have amber and red markers. That comes from Federal regulation. Your vehicle must also have seat belts. Your vehicle must be seen by others particulary when visibilty conditions are bad. It's in the public interest. And yes, there is selective enforcement throughout the country, similar to speed enforcement, due to limited budgets. You may choose to ignore these laws but you do so at your own peril.
Blah, blah, blah. No one cares.

I bet you're a lot of fun at a party at someone's home. I can see you now walking around with your regulation printouts telling the homeowner how something about their home doesn't meet local building code or violates the national electrical code etc... & how it's a safety issue.
The following users liked this post:
2019GSTX (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

@ImpliedConsent @Oneslackr @2019GSTX and anyone else advocating the side of rational thought - guys, we really just have to ignore the trolls, most specifically @MMD . He CLEARLY only wants to flame this thread (and apparently other threads based on what I'm hearing) and no matter what we say, our posts are falling on deaf ears, so we're wasting our time and filling this thread more than it needs to be. The best thing for us to do is just put him on ignore so we don't even see his posts. Don't reply. Don't even acknowledge he exists. That's the best way to get rid of a troll.

@MSG C5 yeah those look pretty good on the white, but I think they'd stand out almost as much on yellow, plus I don't even want to see light coming out of them. I wish I could just shave them, but the shop says filling with bondo and sanding isn't the best idea as it will eventually crack and to plastic weld it would be like 20 hours labor per bumper and I'm not willing to spend about a grand to shave them when I could just have them painted and remove the bulbs when they're putting everything back together for free, so I'll go that route. Looks pretty good from what I can tell of @AttyVette 's post. Would love to see more pics though!
The following 4 users liked this post by Toddiesel:
2019GSTX (01-13-2019), AttyVette (01-13-2019), ImpliedConsent (01-13-2019), Oneslackr (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

@ImpliedConsent @Oneslackr @2019GSTX and anyone else advocating the side of rational thought - guys, we really just have to ignore the trolls, most specifically @MMD . He CLEARLY only wants to flame this thread (and apparently other threads based on what I'm hearing) and no matter what we say, our posts are falling on deaf ears, so we're wasting our time and filling this thread more than it needs to be. The best thing for us to do is just put him on ignore so we don't even see his posts. Don't reply. Don't even acknowledge he exists. That's the best way to get rid of a troll.

@MSG C5 yeah those look pretty good on the white, but I think they'd stand out almost as much on yellow, plus I don't even want to see light coming out of them. I wish I could just shave them, but the shop says filling with bondo and sanding isn't the best idea as it will eventually crack and to plastic weld it would be like 20 hours labor per bumper and I'm not willing to spend about a grand to shave them when I could just have them painted and remove the bulbs when they're putting everything back together for free, so I'll go that route. Looks pretty good from what I can tell of @AttyVette 's post. Would love to see more pics though!
I personally wanted light, albeit a small strip of light, coming from my side markers. I think they look great imo.

Oracle side marker with lights off

Oracle side marker with lights on

Lights showing through is red but pictures don’t capture it as red

Oracle front side marker with lights off

Last edited by AttyVette; 01-13-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Painted side markers