C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar Advisor - Turn by turn without Navigation option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts
Default OnStar Advisor - Turn by turn without Navigation option?

I see the OnStar customer support people answering questions around here. Hopefully they'll see this one.

So how is OnStar turn-by-turn supposed to work if you didn't get the Nav option? I've got a button for OnStar nav on my center screen. I pressed it today to try out directions (fortunately to someplace I already knew how to get to) while in my trial period.

The screen said no route in progress, press the button to call OnStar. I did, and the nice OnStar lady repeated the address I wanted to go to, and said she would download it to my vehicle. I left the screen on the "Nav" page (fake compass display on the left, "No route in progress" message on the right. And that didn't change during the entire 20+ minute drive. Note that the radio was on and playing XM in the background, but at no time did I leave the "Nav" screen.

Am I supposed to do something after I ask for directions? Or should it have started automatically? So far I can't say I'm very impressed.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Your turn by turn directions should have started automatically after t he route download finished. I use it all the time and it works great.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-25-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: No need to quote the OP, especially when you're the next poster.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

It sounds to me like maybe your call with On Star got disconnected before the directions could be sent to your car. I have had that happen maybe twice in the past bunch of years. I just simply called them back and asked to have the directions sent again and all was good.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You don't need the "Nav" screen to get the directions. Just leave it in whatever screen you are in and call OnStar, ask for directions and they will down load them to your car. The directions will come up on the screen you are in. Most of the time I am in the radio screen when I use OnStar. Never had a problem getting the directions.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Thanks everyone. I didn't do anything to disconnect the call, but it did shut off pretty quickly after she told me she would download the route. I'll try again in the next day or two.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Baer383
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never call onstar I just use the onstar remote link app,just type in the directions and your phone will send them to the car even if the car is off.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It works great, here are some screen shots from my 2014 non-Nav Stingray

I call OnStar ask for directions to xxxx and they download the info, usually take about 45 seconds. Once under route guidance it behaves just like any built in Nav in that if you wander off the path it will tell to to make a legal U-turn and or recalculate a whole new route, if you stop for gas, food etc and have not completed your journey it picks up again even if you spend the night at a hotel.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Don't know why it failed the first time, but I used it again a couple of times since and it worked fine. Just a glitch, I guess.

One thing I don't like is that when it thinks you're at your destination it just turns off, so if you miss it, or overshoot, it won't give you any help getting back to your destination unless you start all over. Google Maps, on the other hand, won't stop navigating until you choose to exit.

OTOH, I like that when you complete the current action (e.g., turning onto a new road), it immediately tells you what your next action is going to be, and how far away it is. Google Maps doesn't tell you that until you get close to that next action.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

So, OnStar provides navigation without displaying a map, but what happens if you miss a turn?

Last edited by WelderGuy; 05-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 AM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It recalibrates and gives you new directions.

As to OnStar as a business, several months ago one of our local news reports said OnStar is GMs highest profit division.

Laborsmith
Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
So, OnStar provides navigation without displaying a map, but what happens if you miss a turn?
read the text under my photos. It gives you the same Make Legal U-Turn and or re-calculates your route.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

On-Star is the one thing I wish I could change about my Vette. My experiences and some of the feedback here lead me to believe their an unethical company.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laborsmith
It recalibrates and gives you new directions.
Originally Posted by AFVETTE
read the text under my photos. It gives you the same Make Legal U-Turn and or re-calculates your route.
On mine, it told me I was off route, and routing would continue when I returned to the planned route. Then it asked me if I wanted it to calculate a new route. WFT? If I'm off route, and need navigation, I probably don't know how to return to the planned route. But at least it asked.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar Advisor - Turn by turn without Navigation option?

Quick Reply: OnStar Advisor - Turn by turn without Navigation option?