C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody paint the side spears on the transparent roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 AM
bbjwho
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody paint the side spears on the transparent roof?

I am thinking I'd like to paint the sides of my black transparent roof to match body color (torch red). Basically, it would look very similar to the exposed carbon fiber roof.
Has anybody done this? Is there anything special about the material the trans roof is made from? Can any body/paint shop do this job? Ballpark on cost?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone did it, they posted last year about it, maybe it will show up on a search. I've also seen people use vinyl tape/wrap and it comes out nice. I think it's a little smoother since it won't have a paint line and is easily removed / repaired if needed . I would personally wrap it vs paint
Old 05-24-2015, 01:20 AM
bbjwho
Instructor

Originally Posted by rothchilds
Someone did it, they posted last year about it, maybe it will show up on a search. I've also seen people use vinyl tape/wrap and it comes out nice. I think it's a little smoother since it won't have a paint line and is easily removed / repaired if needed . I would personally wrap it vs paint
Not a bad idea. Can you recommend a vendor for Torch Red vinyl wrap?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by bbjwho
Not a bad idea. Can you recommend a vendor for Torch Red vinyl wrap?
Guess you forgot you liked the 2 vinyl examples in here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rent-roof.html

And check with vettestripes. He doesn't show them on his site yet but may be working on them or can make them for you custom.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

A friend here in Clear Lake, IA painted the sides of his lexan top with matching red.

I used vinyl tape from "Tapeworks Graphics" on my VY Z51. They have several reds available, so you might find one that is really close to matching. I also got the black vinyl for the cross piece between the top and rear hatch window from them. Paid around $80. total for the 2 colors that come in 15" width. Professional installer in Naples charged me $100. Very happy with the results. Removed wheel stripes I also got from them as I want smaller width ones or none at all.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM
bbjwho
Instructor

Originally Posted by RicK T
Guess you forgot you liked the 2 vinyl examples in here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rent-roof.html

And check with vettestripes. He doesn't show them on his site yet but may be working on them or can make them for you custom.
I didnt forget anything. Thats where I got the idea. Maybe you overlooked the fact that I am asking for a color match on Torch Red. TR is a lot harder to match in vinyl than white.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
bbjwho
Instructor

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
A friend here in Clear Lake, IA painted the sides of his lexan top with matching red.

I used vinyl tape from "Tapeworks Graphics" on my VY Z51. They have several reds available, so you might find one that is really close to matching. I also got the black vinyl for the cross piece between the top and rear hatch window from them. Paid around $80. total for the 2 colors that come in 15" width. Professional installer in Naples charged me $100. Very happy with the results. Removed wheel stripes I also got from them as I want smaller width ones or none at all.
That looks good. Nice job!
I am hoping someone on the forums has already found a match to TR. I dont want to guess and waste money if its not a perfect match.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:21 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Look for business, that does Boat Graphics! They have a wide range of colors! Should be plenty in Ft Lauderdale!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
Honestly, this is how all of the tops and halos should look. Blacked out center, painted spears. It just looks so much cleaner.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
dalemyerssc
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob. I love the look. I just purchased VY and pictured most of the mods you have made. Thanks for the picture if you please post some more from different angles. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

I've seen a number that used a 'wrap' that matched the body color. Cheap and very effective. Looked great!!! One even did the part of the targa bar (basket handle) black to match the top and rear window. I'm a 'vert' guy so this is just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Bob, I noticed you color matched your A-pillars too. That looks excellent!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great is that tape or paint for the stripe on your wheels. I really love that look!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM
0TapeworksRob
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duanepillar
Looks great is that tape or paint for the stripe on your wheels. I really love that look!
Great question! The Rimstripes are colored vinyl that have been cut into 1/8", 1/4" or 3/8" stripes.

You can find more info about them at this page of our website http://tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/, or shoot us an email with any questions at info@tapeworks.com

- Rob
Old 09-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Chuck Mahnke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 94 Posts

I just had the Tapeworks Fire Red (032) installed on the side spears of my Torch Red coupe and I am not pleased at all with the results. The color of the vinyl is "close" but definitely not a perfect match but the main problem is the huge amount of very tiny air bubbles. They are too small and way too many of them to puncture with a needle. The installer is very experienced and was not happy at all with the vinyl. He showed me the difference between the quality of the product he uses and what I received from Tapeworks. The vinyl that he uses actually breathes so if there are small bubbles, the air actually passes right through when pressing on it. Unfortunately he could not find a matching color from his suppliers. Soooo, it looks like $80 down the tube with this experiment. I guess it would have been best to bite the bullet and pay to have it painted in the first place.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 PM
DSC9254
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My spears were painted torch red. Body shop used fine grit sandpaper and hit it with an adhesion promoter before the red. I personally like it better than the exposed carbon fiber roof because most everything on the car is black or red.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody paint the side spears on the transparent roof?

Quick Reply: Anybody paint the side spears on the transparent roof?