C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Flash Vinyl Wrap....Oracal 951 doesn't seem to match?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:14 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Carbon Flash Vinyl Wrap....Oracal 951 doesn't seem to match?

Ok so I did some research on here looking to see if there is a vinyl wrap that matches GM Carbon Flash Metallic. My searches indicated that Oracal 951 Black Metallic was the closest match and to get it at metrorestyling.com. Well, Metrorestyling.com does not seem to carry Oracal 951 anymore, only Oracal 970. So, I went and found another site online and ordered a roll of Oracal 951 Black Metallic. It came in today, and I cut a small square off and affixed it to my carbon flash spoiler as a direct comparison to real carbon flash paint. In my opinion, I don't thing it matches that good. It looks to hazy or light. As if the black is not deep enough. In the right lighting, it can look somewhat close, but in the wrong lighting it looks horrible. Is there a trick in the application that makes the color match better such as we/dry application or heat application? Here are some pics of my test square on the CF spoiler. What are your thoughts?

Name:  28D1B207-086D-4763-A9F1-01AA3EF49C0F.jpg
Views: 5859
Size:  257.2 KB

Name:  C2D7DE94-AA00-4A05-833D-9C77FA16FAB5.jpg
Views: 5443
Size:  528.0 KB

Name:  9CEE70E3-EE7E-4829-8907-0FD569AF749A.jpg
Views: 8697
Size:  478.8 KB

Name:  8FB02A07-8DA4-4D00-A092-6A4D6A9D5A4C.jpg
Views: 5381
Size:  450.9 KB

Name:  AB6F2F1A-EA2E-4626-9F4C-354027C8698A.jpg
Views: 5364
Size:  235.7 KB

Ant
Old 05-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 913 Likes on 477 Posts
Tech Contributor

That's why I always say when I am asked about 951 if it matches, is to get a sample. Because it matches more than enough for me on my stinger. But everyone is different.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Its obvious from the picture that it's not a great match. The question is, has anyone found a better vinyl match??
Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Ok so I did some research on here looking to see if there is a vinyl wrap that matches GM Carbon Flash Metallic. My searches indicated that Oracal 951 Black Metallic was the closest match and to get it at metrorestyling.com. Well, Metrorestyling.com does not seem to carry Oracal 951 anymore, only Oracal 970. So, I went and found another site online and ordered a roll of Oracal 951 Black Metallic. It came in today, and I cut a small square off and affixed it to my carbon flash spoiler as a direct comparison to real carbon flash paint. In my opinion, I don't thing it matches that good. It looks to hazy or light. As if the black is not deep enough. In the right lighting, it can look somewhat close, but in the wrong lighting it looks horrible. Is there a trick in the application that makes the color match better such as we/dry application or heat application? Here are some pics of my test square on the CF spoiler. What are your thoughts?

Ant
Google Zilla Wraps and ask Scott what they use. He's a great guy and I'm sure he will help. Mine matches the rest of my car.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

any update to this?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
any update to this?
Nope. The roll of mismatch wrap sits in my house unused..
Old 02-14-2016, 07:17 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Here are my two samples. The 3M I thought was very close when not using flash.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Honestly I would say it's because a lack of brilliant high gloss finish. Take a look at the pics where the cloud goes across both CF and the vinyl; that's a relatively significant difference in reflection. Now that is not to say this is the only thing wrong with it but I feel that's a decent factor. Now if you had zero parts on your C7 in CF and used this to cover a few bits, you or really anyone wouldn't honestly be able to tell a difference.

Now the film in the above pics are really very close, and should be the way to go if you have parts in CF.

I'm considering getting some to cover a few actual carbon pieces, since I have a white Vette. Kind of updates it considering it's a factory option if that makes sense.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 PM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

Nope. The roll of mismatch wrap sits in my house unused..
Sent you a PM about your vinyl.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JameyTurner
Sent you a PM about your vinyl.
Got your message. Have a lot of personal things going on right now. When I get a change I will dig out the roll and see how much is there and let you know on it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Krenath
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

For a few more details in case anyone else is looking at getting something other than the OEM vinyl:

I have a sample of the 3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic I just ordered as well as an OEM GM hood stinger stripe which I plan to use to replace the satin black stripe that came stock on my car and was inexpertly reapplied after a bumper repair necessitated hood blending...

Side-by-side, the Carbon Flash decal has a bit of a bluish cast compared to the 3M, which seems slightly gold-tinted.

You can sort of see that in the picture above from MIGHTYMOUSE if you know what you're looking for. It's definitely more pronounced in person, though.

I checked against the painted trim on the car as well, and when you hold the 3M vinyl against the hood vent or spoiler or other painted Carbon Flash items, they also have a bluish cast compared to the gold of the 3M decal.

Considering the fact that I'm planning on putting the decal on the hood stinger directly against the painted hood vent, I don't think the 3M color would work, but if I were to do something like cover the A pillar black with it, I don't think you could notice the difference in any lighting as it would be too far even from the GS mirrors to compare.

I don't have an Avery or Oracal sample so I don't know how they compare.

If I can get any decent pictures that can show the difference in good lighting, I'll try to post them up if anyone is interested..

Last edited by Krenath; 04-04-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

There is no vinyl that matches it 100%

If you want it to match perfectly, have it .

Last edited by JGarland; 04-05-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Prray
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts
Default 3m

Attachment 48191188

Attachment 48191189

Attachment 48191190

Attachment 48191192

Attachment 48191193

Ant
3M is the best match, its still not perfect but the best compared to Oracal or Avery.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 AM
REPOED C7
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I used 3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic to blackout my grill. It's very close but not 100% perfect. The Gloss Black Metallic has some gold flake to it, where Carbon Flash is more of a silver flake. The black aspects were very good.

I seriously doubt a stranger would be able to tell it's not perfect.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 740 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Krenath
For a few more details in case anyone else is looking at getting something other than the OEM vinyl:

I have a sample of the 3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic I just ordered as well as an OEM GM hood stinger stripe which I plan to use to replace the satin black stripe that came stock on my car and was inexpertly reapplied after a bumper repair necessitated hood blending...

Side-by-side, the Carbon Flash decal has a bit of a bluish cast compared to the 3M, which seems slightly gold-tinted.

You can sort of see that in the picture above from MIGHTYMOUSE if you know what you're looking for. It's definitely more pronounced in person, though.

I checked against the painted trim on the car as well, and when you hold the 3M vinyl against the hood vent or spoiler or other painted Carbon Flash items, they also have a bluish cast compared to the gold of the 3M decal.

Considering the fact that I'm planning on putting the decal on the hood stinger directly against the painted hood vent, I don't think the 3M color would work, but if I were to do something like cover the A pillar black with it, I don't think you could notice the difference in any lighting as it would be too far even from the GS mirrors to compare.

I don't have an Avery or Oracal sample so I don't know how they compare.

If I can get any decent pictures that can show the difference in good lighting, I'll try to post them up if anyone is interested..
Very interested Id really appreciate it .Thank You. What do you think about putting the 3M 1080 212 Gloss black Metallic on the targa top to match the OEM Hood Stinger I just bought .Are they far enough away that you won't be able to tell?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dprestidge
Google Zilla Wraps and ask Scott what they use. He's a great guy and I'm sure he will help. Mine matches the rest of my car.

What is it
Old 04-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Krenath
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Here’s my attempt at pictures I still don’t think the phone shows the difference enough because it tries to auto adjust color balance and brightness

If they were far enough apart, it would probably look fine My roof is visible carbon fiber and the A-pollars are plain gloss black while the mirrors and vents and spoler are all Carbon Flash and they don’t stand out unless you’re looking

I don’t think the 3M film would do any worse and should look fine

But if you’re *really* picky, or the two touch each other, this is not for you,

The biggest contrast I see is not just the color difference in the metallic flakes, but the size. Carbon Flash seems to have a much larger particle size and catches the light more. And again, Carbon Flash is bluish and 3M is gold-ish.

3M above , Carbon Flash vents below
Carbon flash spoiler above, 3M below

Last edited by Krenath; 04-06-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Flash Vinyl Wrap....Oracal 951 doesn't seem to match?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I agree that the 3M Gloss Black Metallic is the closest available vinyl to Carbon Flash. The color is very close, however, the metallic flake is slightly off... dosen’t have the depth, but you can only tell the difference if the two are next to each other.

Last edited by sTz; 04-06-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Krenath
Here’s my attempt at pictures I still don’t think the phone shows the difference enough because it tries to auto adjust color balance and brightness

If they were far enough apart, it would probably look fine My roof is visible carbon fiber and the A-pollars are plain gloss black while the mirrors and vents and spoler are all Carbon Flash and they don’t stand out unless you’re looking

I don’t think the 3M film would do any worse and should look fine

But if you’re *really* picky, or the two touch each other, this is not for you,

The biggest contrast I see is not just the color difference in the metallic flakes, but the size. Carbon Flash seems to have a much larger particle size and catches the light more. And again, Carbon Flash is bluish and 3M is gold-ish.

3M above , Carbon Flash vents below
Carbon flash spoiler above, 3M below
Thanks for the effort
Old 04-26-2019, 10:43 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

I know this may be breaking the rule for responding to old posts, but I am looking for something to match carbon flash metallic paint C7 Vette. A guy wants some knifeless tape hood stripes on his car. I am not a processional install. I have only installed stripes on a C5 I once owned and buys in my club are asking me to do stripes for them.

Is 3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic the only thing close enough to maybe do the trick? I have a sample of 3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic coming in order to see how well it matches.

Quick Reply: Carbon Flash Vinyl Wrap....Oracal 951 doesn't seem to match?