Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's what I hate about ARM...

Old 05-29-2015, 04:31 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Here's what I hate about ARM...

...you can't program the car to an "on" default.

I love ARM, and use it all the time. That said, there is the rare occasion when I forget to activate it and that first downshift, assuming a rev match, is not so pleasant. I so wish we could set "on" as default. Are you reading Tadge?!
Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

If Active Rev Matching is On, the gear number displayed in the DIC is amber instead of white. Easy visual clue.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

When you press start, just drag your hand across the paddle as you go to the wheel......... really??

Originally Posted by FLS2K
...you can't program the car to an "on" default.

I love ARM, and use it all the time. That said, there is the rare occasion when I forget to activate it and that first downshift, assuming a rev match, is not so pleasant. I so wish we could set "on" as default. Are you reading Tadge?!
The following users liked this post:
Johniorio4 (02-12-2016)
Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree default should be selectable, but since most people would leave it on, there would be zero reason for the paddles they probably can't easily get rid of.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
If Active Rev Matching is On, the gear number displayed in the DIC is amber instead of white. Easy visual clue.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Maybe Not

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I agree default should be selectable, but since most people would leave it on, there would be zero reason for the paddles they probably can't easily get rid of.
Maybe you should do a poll ? I for one don't like it and I leave it off. I guess it sounds cool to the uninitiated but I think the throttle action is mistimed and I prefer to match my own revs manually. Do any of the pro drivers use it ?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by INTHERED
Maybe you should do a poll ? I for one don't like it and I leave it off. I guess it sounds cool to the uninitiated but I think the throttle action is mistimed and I prefer to match my own revs manually. Do any of the pro drivers use it ?
Sure, not everyone would want it default but it sure helps the people like my gf who tend to lurch or under throttle going into gears a bit. I could take it or leave it as I've been daily driving manual trans cars all my driving life, but it is kinda fun. I turn it on whenever I remember to. Just would be nice to set it on as default if desired. Fortunately the gf has it down to hit the paddle before she drives.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:55 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

I hate it. Driving around town - it sounds retarded. I am only at 900 miles, so I cannot try it out on the track yet. Maybe it will change my mind then. If not, I will just continue to "blip the throttle" myself.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:14 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't use it around town anymore. I pulled up to a stop light with ARM on and when downshifting the car next to me thought I was showing off and/or wanted to raise as he started revving his Stang. That's happened a few times. It can be a little obnoxious at times .
The following users liked this post:
jwt1603 (02-14-2016)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,602 Likes on 6,615 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I don't use it around town anymore. I pulled up to a stop light with ARM on and when downshifting the car next to me thought I was showing off and/or wanted to raise as he started revving his Stang. That's happened a few times. It can be a little obnoxious at times .
guess I could care less what someone thinks! You're driving a flashy sports car. Reminds me of a gal with a pair of 40 "D's" wearing a plunging neckline concerned that someone is staring!
I use it all the time. I was pretty good at heel/toe at higher rpm's and used it on all my other 3 Vettes, my trucks, my Dodge Colt Turbo, 260Z etc. But hard to modulate the throttle at lower speeds where I find it very useful. Rev match does it perfectly. I love how it makes a perfect match when I turn a corner and go from 5th directly to 3rd.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-30-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:22 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Back to the OP's request. Giving the owner the option of having it default to on wouldn't force anyone who doesn't like it to use it. The only reason I can think of for not having that option is that when the oil is cold, and the redline is reduced, you might not want the car blipping the throttle for you.

But yes, I've noticed that if I downshift rapidly I can beat the rev match. I wonder if it would learn to respond faster if I habitually drove that way.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:35 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

...or from 7th into 4th
Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 PM
longhornATX
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I use ARM every time I drive. I've looked throughout the settings hoping to find a default "ON" option with no luck. It would be nice to offer a default on where ARM activates once a certain temp is achieved. It's a nice insurance policy with a more crowded gearbox. I've gone from 7 to 4 when shooting for 6. ARM didn't miss a beat.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
MostlyHarmless
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Back to the OP's request. Giving the owner the option of having it default to on wouldn't force anyone who doesn't like it to use it. The only reason I can think of for not having that option is that when the oil is cold, and the redline is reduced, you might not want the car blipping the throttle for you.

But yes, I've noticed that if I downshift rapidly I can beat the rev match. I wonder if it would learn to respond faster if I habitually drove that way.
Meyerweb, you are spot on

It has been documented elsewhere that the reason it defaults to off is that it is not recommended to be used until the engine and transmission are fully warmed through. This is because the "blips" can take it into the high rev zone not recommended for cold engines.

I think it's marginal risk as the engine is not under load when that happens, but that is the rationale that GM put forwards

Mark
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,602 Likes on 6,615 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
May be a "potential" safety issue, with our litigious society everything is!
Some won't use it because they say it surges. In 3 years iI have only had that occur once when I tried to make it do it!
The Hall Sensors anticipate where you're trying to shift. Tried when crusing in 5th going to my common 3rd as if making a slow speed turn. Moved the shifter to the 1st 2nd slot. Did not go in either gear but the engine revved as if I was going to go into 2 nd!
If someone did that not knowing and hit someone, their "attorney" would surly get a few bucks from GM!
Also recall someone at GM smiling answering the question about if the paddles were there so they could use the same steering wheel as the auto trans!
Agree I use it all the time and would be happy with a switch.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I have had my car for 2 months now and am at 1600 miles. I always use it. My shifts are so clunky and jerky without it, but very smooth with it on. This is the first manual that I have owned, but definitely not the first driven. I try not using it, but doesn't take long before I turn it back on.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

I have been driving manuals all my life so it is almost impossible to stop my reflex to rev match or heel-and-toe so having ARM on just confuses the issue. So I like the default "off", but yes, I'd prefer a simple switch as opposed to the paddles that just seem in the way, IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's what I hate about ARM...

Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

I too would like the ability to default it on. I don't care what other people think. If I did I would not be driving a Corvette.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:47 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I believe that F1 cars and other similarly equipped race cars use rev match to keep from having the engine brake and unload the rear suspension, thus stopping the car from spins.
The tranny in a F1 car is a suquential gear box that is automated after the car is moving. The clutch being used to launch the car, and then it is automated for the rest of the time the car is in motion. With up to 25+ shifts in a single lap the car does the shifting much more efficiently than the driver ever could and it uses rev matching on down shift. No need on the up shift as the throttle is wide open.
So, yeah, the pros do use it.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:31 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I believe that F1 cars and other similarly equipped race cars use rev match to keep from having the engine brake and unload the rear suspension, thus stopping the car from spins.
The tranny in a F1 car is a suquential gear box that is automated after the car is moving. The clutch being used to launch the car, and then it is automated for the rest of the time the car is in motion. With up to 25+ shifts in a single lap the car does the shifting much more efficiently than the driver ever could and it uses rev matching on down shift. No need on the up shift as the throttle is wide open.
So, yeah, the pros do use it.
F1 cars have paddle shifted, sequential gearboxes, but they are not automatics. They shift only when the driver hits the paddle.

Last edited by meyerweb; 02-12-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here's what I hate about ARM...