Sponsored by:

Help! Service keyless start system

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Service keyless start system

Yesterday I installed the crazy cowboy c7 extreme insulation kit, which consists of Memphis mat and foil covered closed cell foam.

Now once the car is locked, I can't open the doors or hatch with the touchpads on the car. I have to press the buttons on the fob. The car starts fine with the fob in my pocket, but I get the service keyless start system message in the DIC.

Is it possible that the new insulation is interfering with the signal from the fob? Did I short something out? Is it possible that the problem has nothing to do with the work I did?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Phil
Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pmzangag
Yesterday I installed the crazy cowboy c7 extreme insulation kit, which consists of Memphis mat and foil covered closed cell foam.

Now once the car is locked, I can't open the doors or hatch with the touchpads on the car. I have to press the buttons on the fob. The car starts fine with the fob in my pocket, but I get the service keyless start system message in the DIC.

Is it possible that the new insulation is interfering with the signal from the fob? Did I short something out? Is it possible that the problem has nothing to do with the work I did?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Phil

I'm not much help but since your fob operates properly I doubt your blocking the fob signal. I'd recheck your harnesses you disconnected or strained.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 06-04-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:01 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I'm not much help but since your fob operates properly I doubt your blocking the fob signal. I'd recheck your harnesses you disconnected or strained.
Only connectors that were disconnected where for the seats and the rear charging port, and they are all working.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:02 PM
corvettecop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A misconnected wire or this phenomenon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pmzangag
Only connectors that were disconnected where for the seats and the rear charging port, and they are all working.
What I meant by strained was the possibility that some wiring harness or connector got mashed/pushed hard enough to break a connection? All fuses check?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:41 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Before pulling out all your carpet, just pull up the ones around the wire bundles at the back and push down/reseat all the connectors and try it again. You might also check all the fuses (hood/rear) just to ensure you didn't short something.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nice job on the install, hope you get this sorted out soon. Know how frustrating that can be. Keep us in the loop, as a few of us are planning this insulation install shortly. Good luck partner.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I had a similar issue after installing the sound deadening kit. Everything worked on my car with the exception of the passenger door electronic openers - wouldn't work from inside or outside, but pushing either button did activate the gas filler door. I took the actuator out (in the jam) and found that there was no current to it when I pushed either door button. Here is what I found:

When you install the kit, it forces the wiring harness at the passenger footwell up closer to the aluminum foot 'plate'. Please see the pictures below. Even though the harness is wrapped, the plate edge is sharp and shorted against a wire in the harness. As soon as I moved the wrapped harness away from the aluminum plate, everything worked. I checked/repaired it, then wrapped the harness in 2 layers of plastic wiring loom so that it couldn't cut thru. Then put it all back together again.

The only other suggestions I can come up with is to:
check all wiring harness connections that are along the door(s) that are moved when you work the carpet pieces in/out - some connectors might have come loose; check all fuses that control the effected systems (unlikely); or disconnect the battery and go for a reset. Hope this helps!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Hopper12; 06-05-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Service keyless start system

Quick Reply: Help! Service keyless start system