C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:26 AM
tjaguar888
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would not be calling people "douchebags" because of what I read on the forum. He was your friend we get that but your acting just like the people you are being critical of.
Thank you for defending my father.
My father and Leia had breakfast that morning at Waffle House, he put his phone on a borrowed charger. I assume one of the employees. Surveillance camera has him getting into car with dog around 11:50, accidentally leaving phone in restaurant. We figure key fob got him into car but assume when he shut the door, the battery cable came loose. Therefore losing all power to vehicle. He only had car 3 weeks, which was a used vehicle yet sold by a Chevrolet dealership. All we know is when he was found over 4 hours later by a friend, he was dead from hyperthermia (as noted in autopsy). Employees of Waffle House told police that dog was left in car, for fear they would get in trouble by health inspector if they knew dog was in restaurant. Sad their lie made my father out to be a bad guy after this wrong report by media. When emergency workers arrived and broke window, they saw foot prints on windshield, wires pulled out in hatch, skin on arm and side of head tearing away from trying to punch window with both and owners manuel out. I'm sure the temp rose to 130 degrees and the panic combined made it all so difficult to figure out about emergency release on page 80 something of an almost 500 page manual. It saddens me of the panic he felt and I feel he was never told about the release. Even took emergency workers an hour of googling to figure out how to get the door open to get his body out, since he couldn't be pulled out of window. My heart hurts so much for his pain, I pray he didn't suffer long.
I think about the day before when came to visit, what if he would have tossed me or my teen children his keys and said take it for a spin. We too would have not known how to get out either. It's just a horrifying thought.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by tjaguar888
Thank you for defending my father.
My father and Leia had breakfast that morning at Waffle House, he put his phone on a borrowed charger. I assume one of the employees. Surveillance camera has him getting into car with dog around 11:50, accidentally leaving phone in restaurant. We figure key fob got him into car but assume when he shut the door, the battery cable came loose. Therefore losing all power to vehicle. He only had car 3 weeks, which was a used vehicle yet sold by a Chevrolet dealership. All we know is when he was found over 4 hours later by a friend, he was dead from hyperthermia (as noted in autopsy). Employees of Waffle House told police that dog was left in car, for fear they would get in trouble by health inspector if they knew dog was in restaurant. Sad their lie made my father out to be a bad guy after this wrong report by media. When emergency workers arrived and broke window, they saw foot prints on windshield, wires pulled out in hatch, skin on arm and side of head tearing away from trying to punch window with both and owners manuel out. I'm sure the temp rose to 130 degrees and the panic combined made it all so difficult to figure out about emergency release on page 80 something of an almost 500 page manual. It saddens me of the panic he felt and I feel he was never told about the release. Even took emergency workers an hour of googling to figure out how to get the door open to get his body out, since he couldn't be pulled out of window. My heart hurts so much for his pain, I pray he didn't suffer long.
I think about the day before when came to visit, what if he would have tossed me or my teen children his keys and said take it for a spin. We too would have not known how to get out either. It's just a horrifying thought.
sorry about your loss.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:36 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by direct007
Wouldn't he had left the window open a crack for the dog to breathe while he was in the restaurant? If the car lost the battery connection, he wouldn't have been able to raise the window. There is deft something more to this story.
if you don't put the window down far enough, when you close the door the window will go ALL the way back up. He may have thought he left the window open enough for ventilation for the pup but just didn't double check after he shut the door.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
if you don't put the window down far enough, when you close the door the window will go ALL the way back up. He may have thought he left the window open enough for ventilation for the pup but just didn't double check after he shut the door.
You need to read what the son wrote on the previous post.
The dog was NEVER left alone in the car.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Would somebody puhleeeeze close this thread!

The truth is out (Post 181) and there's nothing more to discuss.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

i am 77, have been working on cars non-professionally for over 65 years, have owned 9 corvettes the newest of which was an 02. until i read this thread, i was not aware that there were any cars in existence in stock condition whose doors you couldn't open with the normal inside door handle if you lost electrical power.

although the lack of that info would not have been a problem for me because i am aware of the ease and speed that the targa top can be removed, there are probably lots of people who are still not aware of either method by which a c6 can be exited in case of electrical power loss.

the info on this thread can save lives. if the thread bothers anyone, they have the option of not reading it. the value of the info here outweighs the irritation that it might cause anyone who has read it many times and already knew it before they first read it here.

there is a high probability that 80 percent or more of the people in the u.s. don't know the info contained here. since inside car door handle latch actuation was mechanical only for about 100 years, it is valuable that this info be spread far and wide to as many people as possible, in my opinion.

Last edited by senah; 07-28-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
i am 77, have been working on cars non-professionally for over 65 years, have owned 9 corvettes the newest of which was an 02. until i read this thread, i was not aware that there were any cars in existence in stock condition whose doors you couldn't open with the normal inside door handle if you lost electrical power.

although the lack of that info would not have been a problem for me because i am aware of the ease and speed that the targa top can be removed, there are probably lots of people who are still not aware of either method by which a c6 can be exited in case of electrical power loss.

the info on this thread can save lives. if the thread bothers anyone, they have the option of not reading it. the value of the info here outweighs the irritation that it might cause anyone who has read it many times and already knew it before they first read it here.

there is a high probability that 80 percent or more of the people in the u.s. don't know the info contained here. since inside car door handle latch actuation was mechanical only for about 100 years, it is valuable that this info be spread far and wide to as many people as possible, in my opinion.
Your point is correct. I think the member that posted "it should be closed" said so only because of disrespectful remarks posted previously then just above another member posted thinking dog was left in car (likely because he misunderstood/misread a prior post).
Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Doc Born
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hello!!

When things get really bad - The Top Comes Off!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

this would never been a problem in the c7. because you can always remove the roof, if the electronic doors fail, and the manual lever fails.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:39 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Seriously, are people still posting without reading the entire thread? It's time to shut this one down. There's nothing new to be learned.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Seriously, are people still posting without reading the entire thread? It's time to shut this one down. There's nothing new to be learned.
I'm going to disagree on this. . there still is something to learn.

The poster above you is patently wrong . This would have not been different in a c7 . The car was a Coupe with a removable top.Only the convertible latch mechanism and the removable top on the Z06 is different , which, again, was not an issue wth this unfortunate death .

Quick Reply: Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.