C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...rvette-n373316

A really sad story. I know it's not a C7, but the same thing could happen if the owner isn't aware of the safety release.

Bottom line...Read the owner's manual and know your car.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This has happened to me on several occasions in my C6. You have to be a contortionist to release the door cable release in the back.

Everyone should check this part of the manual out.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

He was at a restaurant and couldn't get anyone's attention by yelling or beating on the glass or something? I can't wrap my head around this. I feel the worst for the dog suffering like that because it was completely helpless. The owner should've have known there was a release lever.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I guess I never paid attention to the door release in a C6. Are they a lot different than the C7?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:59 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I guess I never paid attention to the door release in a C6. Are they a lot different than the C7?
They're pretty much identical. The first question someone should be asking in a car with electronic door opening is, how to get out if something fails electronically.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Please check that all the manual releases work periodically. When I had my '09 C6, I tested it one time and found they did not work. The cable had become unhooked inside the latch somehow. I removed the latch and reattached and never had the same problem again. But if you don't test them periodically, this can happen to you! But I would kick out the windshield or window. Perhaps he did not have the strength to do that. Very tragic and sad. Horrible way to go.

Prayers go out to the family.

No doubt GM will be sued. The lawyers are already lining up. Oh that's right, it is the old GM and new Gooberment Motors is not liable for old GM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

If the pic is the actual car, the window is partially down so he'd be able to be heard. He was also in a resturant parking lot so there should've been some traffic around him. Even if the driver's latch failed, what are the odds of both failing? I'm thinking he had some sort of medical issue initially, because it seems there would be opportunity to get help even if he couldn't figure out the manual releases.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

There has got to be more to this story than we know right now - probably a medical emergency.....how did he get in to the car if the battery was dead, or did the battery die just after he opened and closed the door ?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a heck of a story, what a shame. I agree that there must have been more to the story. I guess we should all test our emergency escape handles.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

What about just releasing the roof panel from inside?
Even if he couldn't climb out, still would get some fresh air....
Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
There has got to be more to this story than we know right now - probably a medical emergency.....how did he get in to the car if the battery was dead, or did the battery die just after he opened and closed the door ?
I also suspect there is more to the story. Why would he climb in and shut the door just to check on his dog? That takes a lot of effort. We'll never know what really happened. Media should not sensationalize events without full facts.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:19 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Am I missing something. So he could not call for help on his Cell Phone. Nobody at the restaurant noticed him and his dog locked inside his car. He couldn't pop the roof off from the inside. I hope I never get that old that I can't get out of a locked car...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pjitty
Am I missing something. So he could not call for help on his Cell Phone. Nobody at the restaurant noticed him and his dog locked inside his car. He couldn't pop the roof off from the inside. I hope I never get that old that I can't get out of a locked car...
I guess he left the cell phone in the restaurant? Lots of ways to get out of his situation without one though. Simply had to be a medical emergency, or the guy was way past his prime as a Darwin award candidate.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

This manual release, on the floor/door side of seat, was one of the first things I showed my customers. Corvettes, or any toy that sits for a long period can get a low battery if not driven or hooked to a tender. Sometimes it has just enough power to let you in or the engine sucks it up as it tries to crank and fails. But the fact it looks like he drove to the restaurant makes losing power even more peculiar. Though if the charging system wasn't working the drive could have drained the battery.

Also no one seeing them or just popping the top seems odd.

Very sad.

Last edited by JC 2004; 06-11-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:49 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
They're pretty much identical. The first question someone should be asking in a car with electronic door opening is, how to get out if something fails electronically.
Everyone should have a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter tool in their car. After seeing so many news items about people driving into canals and drowning in Louisiana 25 years ago, I bought one. That said, the guy could have been in a panic and not thinking straight. It can be difficult to keep your composure in those situations. Though why he would leave his dog outside in the car while he went into the restaurant in the first place boggles my mind.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 06-11-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Though I've never tried it (and hope I never have to) couldn't you kick out a side window fairly easily? I would think lying on the seats and going at it full force would certainly do something.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 AM
ant21b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep a small 12 volt battery with a cigarette lighter adapter and send the power in from the small battery through there. A motorcycle type 12 volt battery 6-10 ampere hours that will provide sufficient unlock power. Or just call onstar.

Get notified of new replies

To Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...rvette-n373316

A really sad story. I know it's not a C7, but the same thing could happen if the owner isn't aware of the safety release.

Bottom line...Read the owner's manual and know your car.

The tempered glass in the windows of all modern cars is very brittle. It can not withstand a sharp blow concentrated by a pointed object. Guess he never thought of using the edge of his wristwatch with the protruding winding stem to break the window.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
This has happened to me on several occasions in my C6. You have to be a contortionist to release the door cable release in the back.

Everyone should check this part of the manual out.
It's under your thigh, shouldn't have to reach for the one in the back.

I'm still shocked that this could happen. Between the manual releases and roof, there are plenty of options. I know the thought of not being able to operate electric doors was the first thing I asked about when getting my C6.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
He was at a restaurant and couldn't get anyone's attention by yelling or beating on the glass or something? I can't wrap my head around this. I feel the worst for the dog suffering like that because it was completely helpless. The owner should've have known there was a release lever.
The article I read said something about a cable being loose. Maybe the opener was inoperative. Still, you have to wonder if he didn't have a heart attack or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Man trapped in his Corvette dies from heat.